Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237631 by Edna Cloud
28 Aug 2005, 13:49
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So, the time came all too quickly for the chapster and me to return to Blighty whence we came. Our flight into JFK was slightly delayed, but we had allowed plenty of time, so there was no real stress (just eating into Clubhouse time). The check-in agent was very pleasant and we discussed the impending changes to ground staff employment conditions. She was quite resigned to the outsourcing but couldn't see how it would improve service levels.

Invitation to the Clubhouse in hand, we fought out way through the throng handing over luggage to TSA agents and made our way to the calm haven. There was a moment's confusion because the wrong flight number had been written on the invitation, but it was soon sorted.

The introduction of the Good Night Flights had taken place since I booked the tickets, but I had been warned about it on V-Flyer. I decided my best bet was to eat in the Clubhouse and then take my chances on what might happen in the air. So a meal and a glass of champagne later, I was ready to make my way to Mystic Maiden for the journey home.

As soon as we boarded, a gentlemen sitting nearly opposite me (I say 'gentleman' but I mean it in the loosest sense) took one look at the baby and said 'I'll have to move then'. I decided to banter with him and said that he was bit harsh and in any case, the baby might be quiet, but there was no telling what I might do!! I then gave my nine month old a good sound talking to about the necessity of not showing mother up during this flight. As things turned out, the gentleman didn't move and the infant didn't make a noise. I am sensitive to the needs of those around me and if chapster had been less co-operative, I would have moved and done my best to quieten him away from others. In fact, I wouldn't have attempted the journey unless I was reasonably confident about him (he has had a lot of pain in his short life, so generally doesn't fuss about the small stuff). I do, however, believe that if you bring up children from birth knowing how to behave in polite company, you do better than just letting them be in kid friendly places 99% of the time and then being surprised when they don't know how to modify their behaviour for the 1% that they are in nice restaurants, church, aeroplanes, hospitals etc. Anyway, rant over... it must be time for my next tablet!!

I settled into my seat and was offered a drink and felt it would have been churlish to refuse another champagne. I had only just started it when another member of cabin crew came through and swiped the glass. I assumed we were going for a prompt departure, but shortly afterwards the Captain annouced a thirty minute delay due to a technical fault. Champagne did not return, which was a shame, but a crew member came round to offer the bed, cold supper and bed or hot supper and bed routine for post take-off. For the record, the choices were:

Nightcap and turn down:
Hot chocolate and coconut macaroons Twinings camomile tea with Rococo chocolate Single malt whisky and cheese straws
Supper:
Express cold supper tray:
Seasonal leaf salad with smoked duck, blue cheese, grapes and olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette, served with warm bread and a cheese plate
Hot supper trays:
Crusted lamb served with parsnip fries, green beans and Merlot & thyme sauce Thai green curry with jasmine rice and toasted coconut
All hot supper trays are served with warm bread and Virgin house salad.

Having eaten in the Clubhouse, I asked for the cheese plate, a decaff coffee and a glass of port. This caused slight confusion because it was neither cold supper or hot supper tray, but I pointed out that it was part of the cold supper tray, so that was OK. I also asked to be woken for breakfast because I just like the idea of breakfast in bed. They asked me to fill in an order card.

We were asked if we wanted sleep suits and, without prompting, a cabin crew member went off to look for a 'small' for me. The Beauty Therapist introduced herself and handed out the new travel wallet style amenity kit containing:
charity envelope eye shade pen luggage tag toothbrush and toothpaste spearmint strips (Wot, no polos?) ear plugs socks lip balm
The gentleman opposite complained that his kit was defective because it didn't have the moisturiser, but it turns out that the new kit doesn't have any.

Then the fun started. The thirty minute delay announced by the Captain became a series of thirty minute delays. The last time I came through New York, the aircraft went tech and we were on-board for five hours before being de-planed and sent to hotels for the rest of the night and we eventually got home 22 hours late. I had visions of the same thing happening again. During the wait, I fed the baby, who then fell asleep and stayed that way and chatted to another passenger, which passed the time well since there didn't seem to be any newspapers or magazines in evidence. We eventually took off some three and a half hours late!

It was after midnight now, so the cabin crew asked those of us who had ordered food if we wanted to bother with it. Actually, I was getting rather peckish again and if anything, was considering asking for more! While the food was being assembled, someone assembled the bassinet for me, so that I could be hands free to eat. I had no sooner finished my last mouthful, than someone else appeared to convert the seat into a bed. The entertainment was V-PORT, for which, Hurrah, but I chose not to watch any films because the hour was late and the flight short. I successfully dozed my way across the atlantic, waking with an annoying fifteen minutes or so before breakfast, which the Beauty Therapist filled in nicely for me with a hand treatment.

Breakfast was served in a bit of a rush and was cleared away quickly too. Those who had elected not to be woken for breakfast were now woken by the top of descent PAs to give the ten minute warning on the washrooms. A mad panic to de-sleep suit ensued. Some time had been made up during the flight but we still landed a couple of hours late.

Immigration, baggage reclaim and customs were all straightforward and then I made my way to Revivals for the first time. I don't think anyone else from the flight went there because it was so late (nearly noon before I got there). There was an air of winding down about the place, but the staff couldn't have been more welcoming. I felt more human after a shower and then I had a little snack-ette whilst waiting for what was the last treatment of the day. I left Revivals really quite refreshed, with a post-facial glow, and the satisfaction of a successful trip.

E
#309997 by jilly
28 Aug 2005, 14:02
E thanks for a lovely TR.

Your patience with the delay and the 'gentleman' is admirable, not sure if I could be the same.

Shame about no moisturiser in the new kits as this is something I always use - thanks for the heads up I will make sure I carry some in my hand luggage next week.

Jilly
#310001 by anteo
28 Aug 2005, 15:21
A great report, thanks.

Note to Mods: Could 'churlish' be added to the glossary please... [:p] [?]
#310007 by buns
28 Aug 2005, 18:21
Edna

A wonderful TR[y][y]

As soon as we boarded, a gentlemen sitting nearly opposite me (I say 'gentleman' but I mean it in the loosest sense) took one look at the baby and said 'I'll have to move then'.

Sometimes it is easier to sterotype the child rather than the parent[;)] Your realted point did however strike a chord with me:

I do, however, believe that if you bring up children from birth knowing how to behave in polite company, you do better than just letting them be in kid friendly places 99% of the time and then being surprised when they don't know how to modify their behaviour for the 1% that they are in nice restaurants, church, aeroplanes, hospitals etc.

Thanks for the low down on the 'Good Night Flight' service.

originally posted by anteo
Could 'churlish' be added to the glossary please...

How about 'Willing to sample additional beverage to improve the understanding of their fellow V-Flyer traveller'[;)][}:)][;)]

buns
#310013 by honey lamb
28 Aug 2005, 19:53
What a lovely trip report. I felt I was sitting alongside you - and no, I was not the churlish gentleman [:D]
#310033 by mike-smashing
28 Aug 2005, 23:15
Originally posted by Edna Cloud
...the new travel wallet style amenity kit containing:
charity envelope eye shade pen luggage tag toothbrush and toothpaste spearmint strips (Wot, no polos?) ear plugs socks lip balm

No Polos, and no moisturiser! Sacrilege!

The amenity kit may look pretty, but it seems to be getting less and less useful. We've lost the pack of tissues (handy for dealing with impromptu spillage or sneezing while strapped in), all the little pump dispensers of goodies, now the moisturiser and Polos!

The pack the original OB kit came in was nowhere near as useful/reuseable as the previous kit (which had the Virgin Vie stuff), and as I've not seen the new kit, I can't comment on that.

While VS usually try to innovate, at the same time, I wish they wouldn't 'meddle' with things which work and make people happy! If it isn't broken, don't fix it, and spend some time concentrating on fixing what really *is* broken.

The food on the plane actually sounds okay, but were there any small snacks/light bites available on this flight? I thought that that whole idea of the Good Night Service is that there would be a selection of hot and cold snacks to 'mix and match' if you still felt peckish?

BTW, what did you eat in the Clubhouse? You didn't mention!

Cheers,
Mike
#310037 by Edna Cloud
28 Aug 2005, 23:56
The food on the plane actually sounds okay, but were there any small snacks/light bites available on this flight? I thought that that whole idea of the Good Night Service is that there would be a selection of hot and cold snacks to 'mix and match' if you still felt peckish?

Well, the only other things on the menu which I didn't mention in the TR were ice cream and the breakfast choices, which were:
cereals warm bagels with cream cheese blueberry muffins and butter croissants with preserves seasonal fruit on its own or with yoghurt bacon roll mushroom omelette with smoked bacon and tomato-flavoured potato wedges
I had the fruit and the bagel, which were fine: I can't do cooked breakfast at 35000 feet (there's something about the smell of the egg).

I meant to mention that the cheese plate which I had consisted of a small piece of cheddar and brie, plated up with grapes and melon. They had obviously been plated for a while because the part of the cheese which was next to the melon was discoloured and soggy. I managed to eat it though, so it must have been OK.

what did you eat in the Clubhouse? You didn't mention!

How remiss of me!!! I had the burger (as a farewell to the US) followed by the peach cobbler. There was a pork dish on offer, served with mashed plaintain (what's wrong with potato?), but I can't recall anything else.

Anyway, hope the TR passed muster. Just need to find another grandmother to sell to finance the next trip!

E
#310039 by mitchja
29 Aug 2005, 00:09
Another excellent TR thanks Edna [:)]

The new supper menu does actually sound very nice.

Regards
#310057 by iforres1
29 Aug 2005, 08:16
Thanks for the excellent Tr Edna,

Not sure if the Good night service is my cup of tea though.

Max respect for travelling with a young un. I am just starting to learn how difficult it can be and how flipping organised you have to be[:D]. I'm still waiting for Buffy's top 10 tips on travelling with a child thread[;)]

Iain
#310079 by sky
29 Aug 2005, 12:41
Splendid TR, I want to go and fly over to JFK after reading it [:)].

On the travel wallet, I like the spearmint strips over the polo, but I really miss the moisturizer. I think perhaps that maybe they should stock up the toilets with moisturizer and other amenity items? The UC toilet is one thing that really lacks compared to some other carriers front cabins.

Cheers
sky
#310150 by mike-smashing
30 Aug 2005, 07:18
Originally posted by sky
The UC toilet is one thing that really lacks compared to some other carriers front cabins.

There's usually a plunger bottle of moisturiser and soap in VS' Upper lavs. I know, it pales into insignificance compared to others, but I'm guessing the availability of moisturiser and tissues in the lavs means that VS feel they can pull these items from the amenity kit.

Mike
#310151 by mike-smashing
30 Aug 2005, 07:32
Originally posted by Edna Cloud
Well, the only other things on the menu which I didn't mention in the TR were ice cream and the breakfast choices

Hm... So what happened to:

'Once the main post-departure service has finished, you can eat what you want, when you want and mix and match your choices from any of the supper trays, savoury snacks and dessert.' (From VS website - and a rhetorical question, btw.)

There didn't seem to be any 'savoury snacks' on this VS46! Just supper trays, dessert, or brekkie.

Let me guess. 'Savoury snacks' are only loaded on flights where Lighter Bites were available in the past? Come on VS, at least try and live up to some of the bull in the marketing! [;)]

I really like 'Freedom', and the idea that there's a variety of things to choose (i.e. not just big meals), it's something which sets (used to set?) the Upper cabin apart from it's competitors, but I'm becoming less and less sure of this.

Cheers,
Mike
#310167 by mdvipond
30 Aug 2005, 13:09
Wonderful TR, Edna. Particularly 'inspirational' for me, as we'll be flying UC to BGI in April, by which time my better half's 'bump' should have turned into a 6 month old baby! Nice to know that it can be done without getting too much grief from fellow passengers (not counting, of course, the 'gentleman' on your flight).

One quick question: Which seat were you in, and where was the bassinet position? I'm guessing you only get this on LHR configs...?
#310169 by fozzyo
30 Aug 2005, 13:31
Fabulous trip report! Thankyou for that - really good read.

Having eaten in the Clubhouse, I asked for the cheese plate, a decaff coffee and a glass of port. This caused slight confusion because it was neither cold supper or hot supper tray, but I pointed out that it was part of the cold supper tray, so that was OK.

Doesn't really seem like the Freedom menu that apparently forms part of the GNF service as stated by VS marketing seems to work in reality, or they aren't prepared for it. Glad it didn't impeed on the enjoyment of your flight.

Hugs
Foz xxx
#310172 by Edna Cloud
30 Aug 2005, 14:17
One quick question: Which seat were you in, and where was the bassinet position? I'm guessing you only get this on LHR configs...?

I think you are right about it only being available on LHR configurations. As far as I know, the only UCS seat with a bassinet option is 8G on the A346. Many staff don't even know about it. At check-in, I was told that 'you know there aren't any bassinets, don't you?' and when I said, 'except for 8G', she said 'yes, that's what you've requested!'. On the outbound flight, the cabin crew member didn't know where to find the correct bassinet (different fittings for the Upper one from the Premium one). For info, it is kept in the cupboard under the platform the bassinet sits on. I have pictures somewhere, if anyone is interested. I'll have to work out how to upload images though!!

I do think there should be bassinets on all configurations though: it can't be beyond the realms of possibility.

Good luck with the bump conversion! Six months should be a great age to travel: old enough for you to have got the hang of things; young enough to be very easily entertained. Nearer the time, if you need any advice, feel free!

Best regards

E
#310195 by mdvipond
30 Aug 2005, 16:52
Thanks for the info, Edna. Should be useful for future flights. Our BGI trip will obvioulsy be a LGW 747, so Junior will just have to make do with a lap (preferably his/her mother's [;)]).
#310202 by Edna Cloud
30 Aug 2005, 18:40
It's probably a thread in its own right, but I have to say that the UCS is absolutely brilliant with a little one! At various times during the flight, the Baby Cloud dozed on the main seat whilst I was on the ottoman, he sat very comfortably on the ottoman (and it made a wonderful impromptu high chair at feeding time), and he slept very happily when it was in bed mode. Yes, the bassinet was useful to give me some completely hands free time, but with two parents in Upper, you should be able to manage very happily.

E
Virgin Atlantic