Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237670 by jaguarpig
31 Aug 2005, 13:25
First time from LGW in 3 and a half years as I hate the drive we took GNER the day before and stayed at the Hilton (when did the plane vanish?).We got access to the lounge with Hilton Au card (free booze and nibbles 6pm-8pm).

We arrived at check-in at 7.15am no wait at UC, the securicor screener was pleasant and professional. At the desk another smile our hand baggage was weighed as we had no checked bags. All 3 pieces were tagged and the agent knew the limits as my suit bag came in at 15kgs she said dont put anything else in it.

Straight to the lounge as junior had a hair cut booked at 8am and for the first time ever I was booked for a shave at the same time. Lounge was quite at 7.30am, we were offered menus and drinks within 30 seconds of sitting down. I enjoyed a cup of coffee and a couple of glasses of OJ as I filled in the visa waver forms.

Junior and I headed to the V-touch, all bookings present and correct. I must say I have been a total idiot for not using V-touch before, the best shave I have ever had, 45minutes latter with skin glowing, I passed mrs jag heading for her hair cut. The stylist recognised her from LHR as she had recently transferred to LGW. I ordered the full Monty breakfast. It did taste every bit as good as it looked, washed down with a very hot and spicy bloody mary as requested.

Several champagnes latter the flight was called about 45 minutes late we made our way to the satellite. Boarding was almost complete so straight on to 6a, 6k and 7a, I asked the crew to stow our bags as there are no overheads for the first 2 rows. I think I had my glass refilled 3 times at least before take off. The FA who was in charge of UC sat with every pax and introduced herself and welcomed us on board. She knew mrs jag and I were Au card holders and addressed us by name the entire flight. Out of the 14 UC seats 8 were taken by crew (full 747 flight and cabin crew were on board who were crewing a return service the next day).I must add that us 6 non crew pax had all the service and were spoiled rotten. We were off about an hour late but our arrival was going to be on time.

Service was fantastic just how it should be, after a couple of G&Ts we ordered off of the reduced freedom menu, no light bites now, I had the soup asparagus and the fillet both were excellent and to finish summer fruit tart then cheese and port.

Junior and mrs jag dinned together and with me opposite it was the best way we have found for the 3 off us to sit together, In Upper I will now always go for 6A&K on 747 services

After the meal we all put the beds down and slept a little of the alcohol off. I woke for the afternoon tea, sarnies ginger scone with clotted cream jam and a pot of tea oh and there was a glass of champagne left in the bottle so the FA insisted I finish it off.
We got a good view of Cape Canaveral as we crossed the Florida coast.

On our approach the captain announced we were going to do a fly round as a thunder storm had just parked itself over MCO. We landed about on time at a very wet Orlando Airport. We were off after PE behind us and PE upstairs then into a packed immigration hall. I have never seen immigration officers anywhere else in the states take so long to stamp passports. When we eventually got to the front of the line the official was pleasant and chatty and seemed to process the 3 of us in record time. We passed through the weird security arrangement when moving from terminal B to A, our driver from the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes was waiting.

One of the best VS flights we have taken top marks all round.
#310311 by iforres1
31 Aug 2005, 13:42
Chris,

Thanks for the excellent TR. It sounds as if faith is restored and service is as it should be. The sensational shave is well ..sensational[y] I also like 6a &c from LGW and will also be my preferred choice from LGW. Already bagged it for 4th Nov to LAS.

cheers
Iain
#310320 by slinky09
31 Aug 2005, 14:29
Great read and that picture of the breakfast has me salivating ... hope they have the same at LHR!

No wonder you had a lie down after lunch, by my reckoning you must have had a fair few units before noon [:D]
#310377 by onionz
31 Aug 2005, 19:56
Originally posted by iforres1
I also like 6a &c from LGW and will also be my preferred choice from LGW. Already bagged it for 4th Nov to LAS.

And i have bagged 6A for the 6th Nov to LAS! [:D]

Great TR, very positive. Good photo of the food, and it does seem as if the Sensational Shave is the V-touch treatment of choice for male v-flyers.
#310384 by AlanA
31 Aug 2005, 20:34
Excellent TR we also bag the same seats and have done so for November! :-)

Has the Clubhouse sorted the games room out yet? it was looking a little tatty last time we were there
#310392 by Decker
31 Aug 2005, 20:56
SO pleased it went well JP [:D]

Rhinestone cowboy tomorrow - there could be a new favourite [;)]
#310423 by buns
31 Aug 2005, 22:58
JP

Thanks for the TR[y][y]

Mrs Buns will soon be champing at the bit to book another MCO trip early in the new year - if I show her your TR and the pics, she's bound to suggest UCS[;)]

Thanks once again

buns
#310478 by jaguarpig
01 Sep 2005, 11:26
Has the Clubhouse sorted the games room out yet?

Sorry didn't venture into the games room.Just noticed the bubble sculpture at the end of the bar had disappeared since my last visit.
#310658 by JAT74L
02 Sep 2005, 18:19
Great TR JP (with excellent pics). I'm on a LGW 744 on Monday but will be slumming it in PE!

Regards

John
Virgin Atlantic