Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237751 by Decker
05 Sep 2005, 14:19
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Arrived at EWR with about 4 hours to go until flight departure and dropped the car off at the rental place. Took the monorail to Terminal B (regrettably EVERY time I see the monorail I start chanting 'Monorail, monorail' like in the Simpson's episode. Never fails to amuse me. Having said that the same is true of Mahwah - every time I drive past that road sign I giggle at the image of living in a place named after an air kiss. Sometimes being a programmer has its advantages, if it's funny once it's funny the hundreth time) and checkin. The checkin person processes us rapidly (the advantage of travelling hand luggage only) and gives us our Club House invitations - with for some reason our Fare Code written on it.

We went straight to the Club House and got our Revivals passes (once again, Fare Code written on - why is that?) and bagged a nice corner seat next to one of the ironically named 'Fast Internet Access' terminals. I swear these aren't even 56K. Drinks were offered and accepted and I nipped into the toilet to change out of my somewhat dishevelled clothing. Came back, started my iPaq charging and caught up with some news. Mrs D was planning on taking advantage of the Good Night Flight 'straight to sleep' option so was keen to eat in the clubhouse. We awaited the much vaunted 'improved food options' with expectation. The reality seems to be 'no change'. EWR stalwarts can correct me if I'm wrong but the menu (which referred on the bottom to 'or enjoying the Freedom Menu' on board) was as follows :-

From the Hors D'Oeuvre Trolley
Chicken Liver Pat_ with Melba toast
Selection of Sushi with wasabi ginger and soy sauce
Traditional cheese and spinach spanokopita (traditional for who? Some context might be nice)

From the dinner buffet
Soup of the day served with a selection of fresh breads
Saut_ed Chicken Francais in butter lemon and white wine sauce topped with Pecerino Romano and Parsley
Beef and grilled vegetable wrap
Portobello mushroom roasted in basil and balsamic vinegar with blue cheese dressing
Shrimp Club Salad
Seasonal leaf salad with kalamata olives, feta cheese and red wine vinaigrette.

Ice Cream Selection
Mini Italian Pastries Selection
Seasonal Fresh Berries with creme fraiche
Cheese selection with accompaniments

and a fairly comprehensive wine list.

I picked at some sushi and the chicken but it actually reads better on paper, this is mass produced food turned out like in a staff canteen - none of the individual catering of the JFK CH.

Boarding was called and in deference to Mrs D I removed my shoes on the way through security - embarrassing myself is one thing... down to the gate and an empty priority line allowed us to rapidly board. An employee stopped me on the way down the airbridge to query my two items of carry on but seeing my boarding pass apologised. I was actually grateful that they were checking. Seems silly to make other weight related economies if you don't enforce carry on restrictions. (One of the other pax in B zone had a slightly over size carry on that was stuffed to the gills with heavy items. The poor FA who offered to help stow it had to put it in a wardrobe as she couldn't lift it. Now there's an area for potential weight saving!).

For once we were in B Zone (15A and 16A) and I was very pleasantly surprised by how much space there was in the overhead, a lot more than in A zone. Rapidly changed into sleep suit and studied the menu. Mrs D declared herself very impressed with the choice and opted for a hot chocolate whilst I opted for the cold tray. These were are described elsewhere but it does raise an interesting issue. There are 2 options for the hot tray (including one vegetarian) but only one for the cold and as this includes duck it can hardly be said to be vegetarian. Presumably they'd just assemble without the duck is vegetarian cold were called for. The other interesting thing was that our FA asked for our preferences before take off and no sooner were the seat belt signs off than Mrs D had her hot chocolate. My tray was delivered pretty soon after by yet another example of charming VS crew who reminded me that we'd flown together before tho' neither of us could remember the route.

The only comments I'd make on the tray were that it is of a 'light bite' size, with the cheese and biscuits being served in a small dessert style dish and that the salt and pepper were served in paper sachets NOT VS pots. Presumably this is another weight saving exercise? I finished watching Sin City, watched another highly amusing Kung Fu film then dozed for a couple of hours. We opted not to be woken as we were going to eat in Revivals.

Throughout the flight the crew were attentive and I can see that for those who WANT to sleep GNF is a good idea. For me (being a bear of little brain who can't get to sleep until near midnight) it's a slight pain but then 'short' overnight flights are.

We landed - predictably on a remote stand somewhere near T5 and were off and onto the first coach quite quickly. Immigration was no real problem and we were the first people off VS002 in Revivals. Refreshing shower, some food and out to the taxi rank and home. All in all a very good trip [:)]
#310905 by fozzyo
05 Sep 2005, 14:42
Sometimes being a programmer has its advantages, if it's funny once it's funny the hundreth time.

Despite my best efforts some of my programmer geekyness must still be clinging on as I have that too - some jokes or things just never loose their humour.

Thanks for the TR, where you at any point told about the GNF service operating?

xx
#310906 by HighFlyer
05 Sep 2005, 14:45
Great TR

EVERY time I see the monorail I start chanting 'Monorail, monorail' like in the Simpson's episode

Your not alone ... no holiday in MCO for my family is complete without the 'Monorail' chant at every possible moment!! [:D]
#310916 by shazam
05 Sep 2005, 18:05
Took the monorail to Terminal B (regrettably EVERY time I see the monorail I start chanting 'Monorail, monorail' like in the Simpson's episode. Never fails to amuse me.
LOL - glad it's not just us!

Thanks for the TR Decker, very enjoyable read and it sounds like you had a nice comfortable trip.

Cheers
Shaz
#310957 by Edna Cloud
05 Sep 2005, 22:00
Thanks for the trip report. Did you see anyone veer away from the GNF options?

Was there a Beauty Therapist on board and were you able to avail yourself of her services?

Thanks again

Edna
#310976 by Decker
05 Sep 2005, 22:44
Fozzyo
No but the menus were self explanatory

HighFlyer
Phew!

Shazam
Starting to see a trend [;)]. It was a nice trip - just not long enough [:)]

Edna
I don't think veering away (short of saying 'can I have this from the cold, this from the hot in an hour please') is an option. The IFBT was present and I got my hot hands. She wasn't from the newest intake but had been with VS for just less than a year and was a pleasure to chat to.
#311000 by sky
05 Sep 2005, 23:34
Originally posted by Decker
Took the monorail to Terminal B (regrettably EVERY time I see the monorail I start chanting 'Monorail, monorail' like in the Simpson's episode. Never fails to amuse me. Having said that the same is true of Mahwah - every time I drive past that road sign I giggle at the image of living in a place named after an air kiss. Sometimes being a programmer has its advantages, if it's funny once it's funny the hundreth time) and checkin.

Geek humour [:D]. One of the reasons I really want to go to PVG. I will just take the maglev continously until they throw me off!

Thanks for the TR!

Cheers
sky
#311006 by n/a
05 Sep 2005, 23:46
Originally posted by Decker

Traditional cheese and spinach spanokopita (traditional for who? Some context might be nice)

HRH Prince Philip, perhaps? [:D]

Thanks for the TR...especially the focus on the food. It's one of THE most important aspects of a UCS flight and you gave it a really in-depth focus. Thank you!
#311740 by ChuckC
11 Sep 2005, 20:45
Decker,
Always expect a top notch TR from you, and this one doesn't disappoint.

Having experienced the EWR clubhouse on my first VS flight, I was just glad to be away from the noise outside. But, after visiting the LHR CH, well, there's just no comparison.

Regards,
Chuck-
#311744 by buns
11 Sep 2005, 21:34
Decker

Ace TR - many thanks[y][y]

The assessment of the GNF service seems, on the whole, to be postive

Thanks once again for the insight
#311745 by VS-EWR
11 Sep 2005, 21:46
Ah yes, you really gotta love the EWR monorail, I've ridden it back and forth for no apparent reason many times. From what I recall it's good for watching the planes take off and land, although it's obviously moving so you can't really take any pics.
Virgin Atlantic