Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237789 by JAT74L
06 Sep 2005, 20:42
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Went down to London the night before and used twilight check in at Gatwick.

There were three agents on duty and it took us about 35 mins from entering the queue to ditching the luggage. Check in lady was of the firm but very efficient type! We were then off to the the Hilton for a bite to eat, a few beers and an early night.

Departed the hotel with hand (wheely) bags only next morning and thought what a good idea twilight check in was! Quickly through security to find a very busy south terminal. Could hardly get a seat anywhere. Gate 36 appeared on the screens shortly after 0830 so we toddled off to the sattelite via the walkway insted of that shuttle thing that I always found to be a real pain for such a short journey.

Ladybird was looking good as ever through the glass and priority boarding was clearly signed. Boarding commenced about 0900 with special assistance & children under 2 being called first. Upper and Premium very shortly afterwards with a stern message for the good folks in economy to stand away from the gate!

Breezed aboard and climbed the stairs to my favourite row 80 where me and father were with Shirley & Ellie in 79 H&K ahead of us.

Flight was under the command of Capt Pain (not a typo!) and we were off with a flight time of 8 hours 4 mins shortly after 1000. We were advised that the weather was predicted to be thundery in the Bahamas.

Now, this was my dad's second time on an aircraft (his first was the day before!) and after his initial reaction on takeoff from Glasgow on BA's 737 I was watching him like a hawk today. I didn't really want another repetition of 'f*@k this for a carry on' out loud on Virgin metal! He settled in nicely and commented on the space and nice seats. As we took off only the way a 744 does he hardly noticed and for the next 8 hours thoroughly enjoyed it.

Having had the pre flight champers I opted for a G&T on the first drinks round. Food followed shortly after with Ellie having the kids meal of chicked dynosaur shape thingys along with the usual extras

Myself and dad had the braised beef which was fine and Mrs had the mushroom risotto which she said was OK.

When we'd all finished we tried a bit of IFE and this was my first look at enhanced Nova (the seatback guide said it was Oddessy). Dad's headphone socket was U/S so he was immediately offered a DVD player which he used instead.

The cabin crew on this flight were the best I've ever had. Stephen - you're a complete star and looked after everyone (not just us) with a big smile and genuine affection. We had a chat about various things and spoke about how the new routes were doing. There were a few spare seats down the back

but PE and UCS were quite busy with only one empty seat on the top deck.

I managed to grab 30-40 mins kip during the uneventful flight and soon we were approaching Nassau.

Capt Pain came on to advise us that T-Storms were still in the vicinity and that NAS was currently closed as a front was passing through. He told us that we'd be on the ground at 1320 local if we got straight in but to expect a possible delay. I'm glad to say we were indeed on the ground with a bit of a thump at 1320 so everyone was happy.

We got off the plane quickly and were through immigration, grabbed the bags and were in the hotel about an hour.

A great flight with a great crew!

Regards

John
#311151 by JAT74L
06 Sep 2005, 20:44
Hmm... photo's aint worked!
#311154 by slinky09
06 Sep 2005, 21:01
Glad you and your family enjoyed the flight - hope you can fix the photos cos am keent to see. Guess that holiday is now progressing very well!
#311168 by buns
06 Sep 2005, 21:50
John

Excellent TR[y][y]

Having seen the photos in the Gallery, you did a really superb job - looks like the food in PE is very good (and the kids meal is a real scene stealer[;)]).

all the best

buns
#311173 by mike-smashing
06 Sep 2005, 22:04
Originally posted by JAT74L
When we'd all finished we tried a bit of IFE and this was my first look at enhanced Nova (the seatback guide said it was Oddessy).

That's because it was was Odyssey! Ladybird (G-VAST) was a former member of the LHR 744 fleet.

Cheers,
Mike
#311187 by iforres1
06 Sep 2005, 23:15
John,

Thanks for the first installment. Glad to see that you got the pics sorted ok. Ellie is a star[:D] Hope dad enjoyed also.
Enjoy the hols and look forward to the return TR.

cheers

Iain
#311188 by Scrooge
06 Sep 2005, 23:21
good tr and great pics..anyone know if that is a hotel in the last picture..the brown building
#311189 by mitchja
06 Sep 2005, 23:26
Thanks for the great TR John [:)]

Takes me back to my VS61 flight in July. Yeah it's much better now those trams have now gone from LGW to get you to the gates.

Looks like loads are getting higher on this route which is good too [:)]

I think I flew out to NAS on G-VAST as well! Have a fantastic time in NAS and I look forward to your return TR.

Regards
#311215 by HighFlyer
07 Sep 2005, 10:43
Fantastic TR [:)]

That aerial shot of NAS is awesome ... its making me check flight proces on the VA website!!!! [}:)]
#311216 by fozzyo
07 Sep 2005, 11:04
Great TR - those two pics of the cabins are fantastic!!

Thanks for sharing
Foz xxx
#311277 by seany
07 Sep 2005, 20:08
Thanks for the TR and great pics John!
#311518 by DWiles
09 Sep 2005, 16:16
Thank for TR

Was on the same plane hours latter on my way home.

The thunder storms thing is a bit of exaggeration. Storms we found in Nassau where small and localised on only lasted a few minutes.

Have a lovely time
#311727 by JAT74L
11 Sep 2005, 19:24
Hi Duncan, you were lucky you got away last week then... Lightning struck our hotel and the main substation here yesterday and left us with only minimal lighting and no A/C for 5 hours! It was flash bang time for several hours not several minutes!

The ice machines seemed to be on the stanby generator circuit though so all was not lost! [8D]

Regards

John
#311729 by Nottingham Nick
11 Sep 2005, 19:31
A belated thank you for the TR, John.

Like others I was particularly impressed with the aerial shot of the islands as you came into land. Would you recommend the Bahamas as a place for a holiday?

Nick
#311738 by ChuckC
11 Sep 2005, 20:38
John,
Have to say that although I liked your TR, I really enjoyed the picture of your beautiful daughter. What a doll!

Hope that we'll hear something about your trip, and as Nottingham Nick asks, whether you'll recommend this destination.

Regards,
Chuck-
#311907 by JAT74L
13 Sep 2005, 20:21
Thanks guys,

Chuck, she's a little angel... when she chooses to be! That's her second time across the pond and she's only two and a bit.

I think the Bahamas is a great place to go, just don't go to the Holiday Inn Sunspree! The RIU, Radisson Cable Beach seem fine and of course Atlantis is Vegas style but IMHO completely OTT for the location. British Colonial Hilton sounds 'top hole' too!

My tip, arrive on Chalks Ocean Airways from Ft Lauderdale. Do it in style... on a flying boat! [8D]

John
#311908 by RichardMannion
13 Sep 2005, 20:31
Damn that Kids meal looks good! [:)]

Thanks for the lovely TR and the photos are great!

HF, haven't you been to enough swanky hotels and destinations for one year? [:p]

Thanks,
Richard
#312325 by PatDavies
16 Sep 2005, 18:20
Well having met you at Reading, I can only say that Ellie is lucky that she obviously gets her looks from her Mum![:o)]

Great trip report - glad your folks enjoyed the flight
#312377 by JAT74L
17 Sep 2005, 10:05
Ah yes, cheers Pat! [;)]

Regards

John
#312411 by philadam
17 Sep 2005, 19:07
John, thanks for the trip report and the great photos. Congratulations too. I notice your photo of the flying boat is 'Photo of the Week' on jetphotos.net[8D] I hope my new digi camera comes out with some equally good shots in November.

Phil
#312434 by JAT74L
17 Sep 2005, 23:53
Phil,

I got 'Action' the dive boat guy to take me out into the harbour to get that shot. I tried to book for a round trip to Ft Lauderdale on Chalks but they were sold out!

Regards

John
Virgin Atlantic