Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237904 by JAT74L
13 Sep 2005, 16:20
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
My rating guages are all over the place on this trip but I still had a great flight...

Used check in and chill out forms 3 days in advance of departure from the hotel. Clearly marked that bags were to be checked through onto the 0715 BA to GLA at LGW.

Met the agents at 1100 on day of departure in the hotel lobby and watched as our bags were tagged to LGW. I enquired about the connection to GLA that I had marked on the form and this was met with much scratching of heads and rummaging around in a holdall for different labels. At this point, I began to wonder whether our bags were ever going to see GLA (more later).

Did the 'chill out' bit for another 3 hours and awaited the bus to take us to the airport at 1400. At 1440 it eventually showed up and off we went.

Now, I had noticed that something about 'change fee to pay' was scribbled on a piece of paper along with my details but thought nothing of it as I hadn't changed anything. Got to the airport, sailed through security and before you know it, my name was being called to come forward to the desk. Aha says I '4 person upgrade to J?'. Err, no. I was sent back to the ticket desk to clear up a 'discrepancy'.

I was told that my tickets had been changed when I upgraded from EC tp PE (from N class to M I think) and that there was a $148 per head 'change fee'. Despite my protestations that I had already paid VH 1600 for 4 x upgrades the desk agent remained polite but firm - no pay up - no PE. So, for the second time on this holiday I had to shell out unexpectedly.

Boarded G-VROY last and took our seats upstairs. Only 19 in the cabin so left dad in 80k, Mrs and daughter in 79h & 79k and I took 79a by the window.

Sat on the gate for a while as we had a short flight time of 7h 40m. Strangely we were only offered water or OJ pre take off but the normal drinks round appeared shortly after takeoff.

Nice friendly crew upstairs made us feel comfortable. Meal service commenced quickly and I was quite hungry and looking forward to some more beef...

As I said earlier, there were 19 passengers in PE upstairs so you can imagine my surprise when we were offered salmon and rice only. The chap in front of me flatly refused it and asked if something else was available (from J perhaps). I could see the embarrasment on the cabin crew's faces as they approached us and I almost took the salmon just to ease their anguish but initially all three of us asked for some sort of alternative. I also asked why there was only one meal instead of three and were the rest of the choices currently in economy. Was told that 'loads of salmon had been put on'.

Our very nice crew came back and offered us the choice of sticking with the salmon or, having a crew meal which was duck. We all gave in and had the salmon which actually turned out to be simple but a nice piece of fish and some soft rice.

Brandy and Baileys followed then it was lights out until about 60 mins from landing. Breakfast of fruit and muffin with OJ and tea or coffee was served then before we knew it we were on the ground. Waited for a stand untill 0607 (I was counting the minutes by that time as we were on the 0715 from the north terminal!)

Got off the plane first again and scooted through an empty immigration and made check in for BA with surprising ease.

Arrived in GLA at 0945 sharp - minus bags! Went to the BA baggage desk and was told that VS should not have checked the bags through as 1) we were on two separate tickets and 2)VS have no agreement with BA to transfer luggage. BA most helpful though and they are currently in a taxi with their compliments as I type.

Despite the food shortage I enjoyed our flight back and can't blame VAA for any of the mess ups caused by VH after a very mediochre weeks hols in the Bahams. VAA [y] VH [n] You can read an additional rant from me about VH on that forum later today!

Regards

John
#311887 by JO5H777
13 Sep 2005, 17:09
unusual for you to have had to pay extra! a way of VH scamming more money out of people, no doubt! hopefully you will have a better trip next time. have VH compensated you for the extra money you had to pay out?
#311889 by Nottingham Nick
13 Sep 2005, 17:17
Thanks for that John, you were more chilled about the payment / food / bags situation than I would have been, I think?

Given the amount of money you paid for PE, to be only offered one choice of meal is awful IMHO [:(!]

VH are nor getting much good press at all here lately, I have still never used them, so will refrain from comment.

Nick
#311890 by JAT74L
13 Sep 2005, 17:28
[i]

VH are nor getting much good press at all here lately, I have still never used them, so will refrain from comment.

Nick

I am getting to the stage where I will never use them again Nick. They are expensive to begin with but I like the peace of mind aspect and thought there would be a seamless service but It looks like VAA just treat them like any other travel agent when they mess up with flight bookings.

I will be contacting VAA about the food situation shortly. It really isn't good enough - especiall when 3 nice pieces of steak from the J menu are paraded past you on their way to the flight deck!!!

John
#311915 by buns
13 Sep 2005, 21:13
John

Thanks for the TR [y] - even though it makes very disappointing reading[:(][:(]

I personally think it is scandalous that you were asked to pay a 'change fee' in the foreign airport on the last day of your holiday.

I do hope that VH are prompt with both apology and reperations.
#311926 by JAT74L
13 Sep 2005, 21:56
My thoughts exactly Buns. I did think about maxing out the plastic on some sparklers for Mrs T's birthday (the more you spend, the more you save) but imagine the embarrasment if I had gone to the desk flat broke???

Regards

John
#311928 by paul_a142
13 Sep 2005, 22:00
John

Having read your TR and then the report in the VH forum made me cringe slightly.[:0]

Using them to go to Havana next month and hope that I dont have half the trouble you had. They do seem to be making a pigs ear of things one way or another at the moment.

Hope that you get a good result in your compensation claim.[y]
#311931 by mitchja
13 Sep 2005, 22:16
Thanks for the TR John.

Shocking is all I can say.

I just hope VH dont just offer you a 10% discount of your 'next' VH booking. That's their usual first response to complaints [V]

Regards
#311963 by RichardMannion
14 Sep 2005, 01:05
Very strange as you should have been booked in V class and then moved to H class.

Thanks,
Richard
#312103 by iforres1
15 Sep 2005, 09:04
Hi John,

Glad to hear that you and the family all arrived back safely. Not so good to hear that VH cocked up again....[n].

ket us know how you get on.

Iain
Virgin Atlantic