Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237925 by daisy
14 Sep 2005, 15:02
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a fantastic holiday in Virginia and Maryland (loved Annapolis A small drinking town with a sailing problem) it was time to return home.

As I mentioned in my previous TR, on the final day we went to the Stephen F Udvar-Hazy museum at Dulles a great place to go and they have an observation tower too. The aircraft land either side of it so you get a good view of Dulles. We watched as Dragon Lady lined up on approach and landed nice to know the flight should be on time! Spent a few hours there and then headed off to drop the car back and catch their shuttle to the terminal.

Drop off went smoothly and we arrived at the terminal at about 3.30pm. Id checked in online the evening before but couldnt see the fast bag drop. UC check in was empty so after the usual security questions a lovely lady ushered us forward and took our bags which she labelled up and then gave us our pre-assigned seats. She asked if wed like to use revivals and gave us pre-written invites which didnt have the ticket fare written on them (Z). I asked her to point me in the direction of the walkway which she did and we set off to go through security (which was quick and staffed by friendly and amusing TSA people a nice change!)

Used the walkway to get to the clubhouseNow I have to confess that I thought about logging onto the PC to check v-flyer but was concerned that Id spot the cricket scores and, after almost 2 weeks respite I wasnt in the mood to see if we were already in danger of losing the 5th and final testOh how I wish Id logged on! I missed a message from mcbenjamin!!! We could have met up I have now mailed him my apologies and I hope he forgives me!! I owe you a drink!

The lounge was lovely I think we were the first in so we were given a quick tour and we chose a seat by the window. Drinks and menus were quickly provided and I chose the house salad and a dry white whilst OH had the shrimp and a Sam Adams. Both were very good. More and more people started to arrive and many of the seats were taken but it didnt feel as busy as the LHR clubhouse did despite being half the size. Dragon Lady was parked at the gate and shed thoughtfully disgorged some up to date newspapers into the lounge chose an FT for him and a Times for me. Other than that, there was only a golf magazine available (zzz) so perhaps a few more local mags would be a good idea? Finally the flight was called about 6.15pm with the promise of another call in 20 minutes. Used the time to nip to the shops to buy a Hail to the Chef cooks apron, a spectacular pink First Lady t-shirt and some National Embarrasmints (fight errorism boot Bush)

Walking out of the clubhouse and straight onto the plane was great. Just how flying should be!! We were welcomed on board with champagne, which is OK but it has a sharp taste Im no expert on wines and such but it doesnt taste that great. Still, I like to make the most of every experience so I always pick it over orange juice. Water was already available and the same Carlos as before. A complete lack of other interesting magazines on board smacks of more dimes pinching to me. Sleep suites were offered rather than handed out so, as I didnt feel like changing I declined (but I would have preferred them to be handed out as a matter of course like they were on my last flight makes them seem like an optional extra otherwise)

UC and PE were full and yet again, Y was on the light side loads of empty seats. I cant work this out its obviously great for VS that their premium cabins are full but flying with loads of Y capacity doesnt make sense is it because of the pitiful leg room or their prices or that fact that this isnt a B&S route? Who knowsThe IFTB come and said hi but we both declined a treatment as we wanted to sleep. The captain announced a quick flight back to LHR and we set off on time. Another smooth take off and climb with fantastic views of Dulles, the museum and the surrounding areas. Headed north over NYC and Nova Scotia it was a couple of hours before the lights on the ground faded awayThe FSM handed out customs cards to those that needed them and when I said no thanks she gave us each a pink fast track anywaynice touch.

Food. Where to start. I chose soup and cheese and biscuits with a glass of merlot. I filled in my breakfast card and asked for cereal and omelette without the accompanying potatoes. I ask for tea and OJ too. The breakfast order was whisked way and evening drinks delivered. Another 20 minutes went by and still no food or IFE either. OH had chosen the soup and the crusted lamb. He too ordered breakfast (a bacon roll). Another 10 minutes (on a short flight when you want to sleep.) and the soup finally arrived. It was hot (good) but contained 3 or 4 slices of very hard under cooked potato floating in the middle. I left these and ate the soup with some garlic bread (that wasnt). OHs was better. Next my cheese and biscuits arrived. Bearing in mind I had skipped the main meal and opted for cheese instead I expected a platter, but no. A small tea plate with 3 small slices of differing cheeses and about 5 biscuits of all the same variety arrived. On the side of the plate was 3 (three) grapes on a denuded stalk (it looked like someone had picked off the other grapes and eaten them). By this time I was getting too tired to bother so I ate some very poor brie, the 3 grapes and left the rest. When I think back, no one asked if the meal was OK or was I happy with my choice etcyou get that courtesy in most restaurants these daysshame it didnt happen in UC.

OH reported that his lamb was well cooked enjoyable although the parsnip strings were oily, hard and inedible. The merlot was fine and we both had a second glass. I gave the food and indifferent service 2 out of 10. OH suggested 5 would be farer for him as he enjoyed the lamb (and he had a young dolly fawning over him so that kept him happy in his shallow little pool)

Food finally finished and I settled down to sleep. The IFE had finally been re-booted but half the films werent available and they were showing Madagascar again but I didnt bother as I needed to sleep. I awoke three hours later to find the cabin in full breakfast mode. Once Id woken up my breakfast tray arrived. Special K was OK, OJ was OK, but the ordered tea appeared as coffee. The omelette was rubbery and inedible just revolting. I left it and thought about eating in Revivals instead. The captain said LHR was foggy so they needed to get the plane ready for an automatic landing he also said we may have a delay but when we landed _ hour later, the mist was patchy and we sailed down the runway to a gentle landing about 10 mins behind schedule.

Priority disembarking worked fine but as we were getting off one of the ground crew was talking into his walkie-talkie commenting to someone that Revivals is already full to bursting so I made an instant decision to skip it (based on the last trips experience) and to go get the car instead! Customs was the usual bun-fight and even with the fast track it took about 10 mins to queue and get through. Bags off quickly.

End of another UC flight. Actually it was only my 4th UC segment. I dont want to seem blas_ but the experience has just not lived up to my expectations. Im left in a quandary. Do we persist with VS or do we give BA another try? Ive got used to flying in J but if thats all VS can offer then Im sorely tempted to look elsewhere at other cabins. I find myself depressed writing this. I want to be able to write a rave review and I cant I much prefer to praise than to criticise but there wasnt much to comment on (apart from the excellent IAD Clubhouse and I left a note in their book)

If anyone has any questions, fire away.
#312035 by BlackCat
14 Sep 2005, 16:10
Daisy, thanks for another detailed report. I'll be flying back from LA on Sunday night, and like you I am thinking whether it will be my last VS flight (at least to non-B&S destinations) until they get their house in order. I hope my fears are proved wrong.

There are plenty of other airlines to try though, including one with the same UCS seat (Air New Zealand), and plenty of others with the angled lie flat style. BA's NCW (or, strictly, NNCW nowadays) is just too short and narrow a bed for me, but even that is starting to look attractive compared with the terrible food and patchy service on my recent VS flights.

BC
#312038 by jaguarpig
14 Sep 2005, 16:29
Thanks for both reports sorry service/food not up to scratch,Out of our last 6 recent UC flights 3 have been excellent 1 ok and 2 dire,not good odds.Will see what BA NNCW is like at xmas,but as BC says those beds are rather narrow even if they are even softer.(I remember NCW first time round so it could now be NNNCW[:D])
#312042 by JO5H777
14 Sep 2005, 16:56
shame you have had a bad experience on virgin, however next time you may be lucky to get the UCS and have a much better experience. thanks for the TR by the way.
#312051 by daisy
14 Sep 2005, 19:32
BC - I really hope your flight back from LAX is great - it would be nice to have some faith restored.

Jaguarpig - Can't wait for your trip report on the NNNNNNNCW seat [:)]

PS - JAT74L's picture of the Y/W food tray (in the gallery) actually looks very attractive compared to the tray we had in UC! At least he had the funky coloured cutlery. I forgot to mention that the little salt and pepper planes had been replaced on the inbound journey by a tacky sachets too...[:0] More 'weight saving'?[:o)]
#312060 by buns
14 Sep 2005, 21:09
Daisy

Thanks for yet another thoroughly enjoyable TR[y][y]

The fact you you were left with thought that you would give another airline a try in preference to VS must send some alarm bells to those responsible for UC

thanks once again
#312078 by Jetstreamer
14 Sep 2005, 23:33
As part of the crew on the VS022 Sept 8th, I was very saddened to read that your Upper Class experience was disappointing.

It is extremely important to myself and my fellow crew members that each passenger is well looked after and receives a service that not only meets but exceeds their expectations. Clearly this did not happen on this occasion.

If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of our service, I urge the original poster (and anyone else reading this) to take the matter up with the crew member concerned or alternatively speak to the Cabin Service Supervisor. The vast majority of situations can
be resolved onboard and can prevent a reoccurence of the same event.

I want all passengers to disembark the aircraft counting the days to their next VS flight and definitely not considering which airline to try in future.
#312084 by honey lamb
14 Sep 2005, 23:48
I want all passengers to disembark the aircraft counting the days to their next VS flight and definitely not considering which airline to try in future.

Alas, Jetstreamer, although many want to be the former, it seems to me that from recent reports they are beginning to fall into the latter category and while for the most part the cabin crew come in for praise, the apparent penny-pinching is clouding the overall experience on VS.
#312085 by Jetstreamer
15 Sep 2005, 00:04
Originally posted by honey lamb
Alas, Jetstreamer, although many want to be the former, it seems to me that from recent reports they are beginning to fall into the latter category and while for the most part the cabin crew come in for praise, the apparent penny-pinching is clouding the overall experience on VS.

I couldn't agree more. It breaks my heart when I read some of the recent trip reports. [V]
#312086 by preiffer
15 Sep 2005, 00:08
Originally posted by Jetstreamer
I couldn't agree more. It breaks my heart when I read some of the recent trip reports. [V]
I suppose the positive to take out of all of this is that we all (myself included) choose to fly with VS still, regardless of the penny-pinching that's been apparent of the previous 12-36 months.

Something must be causing that, and I suspect it's in no small part the efforts of the cabin crew. PLEASE keep up the good work. [;)][y]
#312121 by daisy
15 Sep 2005, 11:34
Hi Jetstreamer! I'd wish I'd known you were on board, I would have said hello!.

As I said in the report, I was tired and wanted to sleep so, to be fair to the crew, I never gave anyone a chance to Òput things rightÓ at the time Ð I simply wanted to go to sleep rather than eat a replacement meal. And, it has to be said, I felt that everyone was very busy Ð the cabin was full and the crew were rushing around all the time. Part of the interest in this website is getting the feedback from actual VS crew Ð it means we all know how hard you have to work and I for one do try to keep that in mind.

I guess what really disappointed me overall was the cost cutting that was so evident. Believe me I DO appreciate that you are only serving up what is put on board and that there is no way that me having a go at the crew about the poor quality of the amenity kit (for instance) is going to help.

Do you (or anyone else on the board) think that passenger expectations are pitched too high? I would really like to know if other people think I've expected too much from this flight? I fully understand that I could book AA or BA to NY (my next trip planned) and still have a disappointing flight (to me at least) based only what I thought should happen? Any thoughts?
#312221 by Jetstreamer
15 Sep 2005, 23:25
Originally posted by preiffer
I suppose the positive to take out of all of this is that we all (myself included) choose to fly with VS still, regardless of the penny-pinching that's been apparent of the previous 12-36 months.

Something must be causing that, and I suspect it's in no small part the efforts of the cabin crew. PLEASE keep up the good work. [;)][y]

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your comments. I love my job - I hope that shines through when I'm onboard as well as in my contributions to v-flyer. [:D][y]
#312225 by Jetstreamer
15 Sep 2005, 23:48
Originally posted by daisy
Hi Jetstreamer! I'd wish I'd known you were on board, I would have said hello!.

As I said in the report, I was tired and wanted to sleep so, to be fair to the crew, I never gave anyone a chance to Òput things rightÓ at the time Ð I simply wanted to go to sleep rather than eat a replacement meal. And, it has to be said, I felt that everyone was very busy Ð the cabin was full and the crew were rushing around all the time. Part of the interest in this website is getting the feedback from actual VS crew Ð it means we all know how hard you have to work and I for one do try to keep that in mind.

I guess what really disappointed me overall was the cost cutting that was so evident. Believe me I DO appreciate that you are only serving up what is put on board and that there is no way that me having a go at the crew about the poor quality of the amenity kit (for instance) is going to help.

Do you (or anyone else on the board) think that passenger expectations are pitched too high? I would really like to know if other people think I've expected too much from this flight? I fully understand that I could book AA or BA to NY (my next trip planned) and still have a disappointing flight (to me at least) based only what I thought should happen? Any thoughts?

Hi Daisy,

Thank you for your reply.

Likewise, if I'd known you were onboard I would have said 'hello' (note to self to check calendar on v-flyer).

It's the first time that a flight I have operated as crew has appeared as a trip report.....

In answer to your question about whether your expectations were too high, I would say no. From reading your comments, I do feel that some of the issues raised could have been sorted out onboard. For instance, your soup & cheese order could have been treated as a snack and snooze option resulting in a shorter waiting time. The cheese plate itself could have been more creative i.e. tailored to your preferences such as more brie, less cheddar.

With regards to the amenity kit, any issues regarding the quality are documented by us and this is forwarded to the relevant department.

Hopefully I will see you onboard another VS flight in the not too distant future.
#312456 by Bazz
18 Sep 2005, 12:15
I do sincerely hope that people at VS who have some level of responsibility for the service in the air read these reports and take some action on them before it is too late. I for one would be very worried by talk amonst my frequent flyers and normally loyal customers of trying another airlines products due to bad experiences on VS.

The announcement 'Thank you for flying with Virgin Atlantic, we appreciate you have a choice of who you fly with and look forward to welcoming you on board again soon' perhaps should be listened to rather than simply espoused [:0]
Virgin Atlantic