Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237930 by NYCFlyer
15 Sep 2005, 00:28
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well this is the first time in Upper at my expense and not through an Opup so I was really looking forward to it.

I used OLCI the previous evening in order to improve my chances of retaining my desired seat. Easy to use and I got the seat.

Arrived at LHR and had Purple Parking meet me outside T3 - their meet and greet service is fantastic. Inside T3 there was a line for the bag drop and so I went to UC Check-in. I let the agent know I had checked in on-line and it didn't seem to be a problem.

Check-in through FT security was a breeze and I was in the new CH in no time at all.

I do like the new CH although at the moment it does seem a lot smaller than the old one. Looking forward to the whole project being completed. I went straight for the deli and had a very passable cooked breakfast delivered quicly and efficiently. Off to the Cowshed for the Rhinestone Cowboy. This is a great treatment although I did feel strange arriving at LHR UC check-in unshaven!! The 30 minute treatment was very relaxing and enjoyable (although a closer shave would have been nice).

Boarding was easy and no problem with a priority line by the time I got to the gate. Settled down once on-board in 9K. On-time departure was fantastic.

The previous threads here have beed very critical I think about the food. I personally found it very acceptable (and I had the steak!), accompanied by good wines and all served by an good attentive cabin crew. I was impressed with the IFS approaching me by name and welcoming me back on-board - nice touch (was this because it was my Au qualifiying flight or is this standard operating procedure?)

Used the bed for a while after diiner and then retired to the bar for a pleasant drink and chat with both crew and other pax.

A very interesting observation on this flight was the treatment of a 'celebrity' Sitting near me was a well know motoring hack. Whilst the crew clearly recognised him they remained professional and respectful and didn't show any special treatment. For my own part, the bar was a good place to meet and chat with said person whose work I do enjoy!

I was too busy talking at the bar and missed the afternoon tea service. I wasn't offered anything on returning to my seat although the service was still going on. Not too bothered as I had already eaten plenty.

Arrival in SFO was ontime and immigration and customs completed quickly.

All in all despite the comments in other threads about an small errosion of service in UCS I remain a committed fan (or a fan who should be committed!!). It is sad to see the little things (satin pillow, flowers etc) go but so long as it stops there UCS should still be there as a leading product.

This message written from the SFO CH where I am currently enjoying their wonderful hospitality - return TR will follow soon.

Graham
#312093 by p17blo
15 Sep 2005, 00:42
Nice TR. I certainly won't miss the satin pillow as this made the place look like a 'knocking shop'!

Paul
#312094 by preiffer
15 Sep 2005, 00:45
Originally posted by p17blo
Nice TR. I certainly won't miss the satin pillow as this made the place look like a 'knocking shop'!
So, you've never made use of the supplemental pillow then Paul...? [;)]