Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238044 by Dave Adkins
24 Sep 2005, 10:30
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After an effortless twilight check-in on bank holiday monday we were all set. The car picked us up at 7:30 for what would normally be a 40 min drive to Gatwick, but the M25 wasn't playing so we went 'off-motorway' through Crawley and arr at 8:45. Through the scrum at security (no fast-track passes) then straight up to the clubhouse. My son and I had shaves booked and the wife a wash and blow dry. What can I say about the shave but WOW[:D][:D][:D] If I could get that everyday I would be a very happy man. Meanwhile 'she who must be obeyed' was having her hair done and very nice it looked too[:p]. Then came the tricky part, we weren't sure if our son (mentally and physically disabled) would let them shave him. But the Lady was fantastic, she told him step by step what she was going to do and put him completely at his ease. Full marks and 'much respect' to the VTouch girls 150 out of 100 for the treatments.
Then it was back into the main CH for brekkie, bacon rolls for the others but the signature brekkie for me, V Tasty. CH not too busy so attentive staff and a nice quiet time prior to the mad boarding rush.
Called for the flight at 1130 for the walk! to the gate. Sadly it was VROY so we were stuck with NOVA IFE yet again, had hoped for 1 of the re-configured LHR 400's at least then we would have got Odyysey. Boarded first at 1205, slight hiccup when we found we couldn't get our son into 6A, as there was not enough room for the aisle chair between the seat and the ottoman. Luckily we had 7A as well so that solved that little problem. 5 mins to get ourselves sorted and the cabin staff introduced themselves and asked what we would like to drink. They then explained how the seat worked. I must admit I found the seat controls very sensitive, you only had to brush against them moving in your seat and they operated[:0] No Carlos.
Orders taken for food, menu was the same as mentioned in other posts. The doors were closed at 1230, pushback at 1235. Wheels up at 1305 so not a bad departure time. The seat belt sigh went out at 1315 and luch was served at 1415 I had the salad with Gravelax followed by the Steak and finished off with the Mousse. Better than the economy food I have eaten in the past, and well presented on china plates with plastic knives and forks[:(] Steak was a little overdone for my tastes but I expected that. Not being able to compare it to the UC food from the past I cannot comment on it too much, just to say that it was tasty and hot, the choice left a little to be desired but it looked nice[:D]
Spent most of the flight with the Skymap on - yes it was working[:D] and plugged into my IPod. Did notice that Mark O'Meara - The golfer, was a few seats back but that was the only 'face' on the flight. Spent a nice 45 minutes at the bar with my wife chatting to a couple of the stewards, told them about V-Flyer handed out a few cards as well.
Began our descent into MCO at 1605 and landed at 1620. then it was wait and see till everybody had de-planed and they could get us off with the aisle chair, then it was the fun and games with MCO security etc...... All in all a very pleasant experience I would definitely use UCS again (finances willing).
#313230 by preiffer
24 Sep 2005, 10:47
Thanks Dave [y] - as you say, top marks for the v.touch staff.
Originally posted by Dave Adkins
I must admit I found the seat controls very sensitive, you only had to brush against them moving in your seat and they operated[:0]
Ha ha! I've had a couple of 'incidents' with my leg brushing the controls for the seat before. (Quickly followed by the feeling of surprise, just before pretending that I really meant to move my seat as low as it can go [:I][:D])

Particularly funny when you're speaking to a member of cabin crew when it happens! [;)]
#313237 by Dave Adkins
24 Sep 2005, 12:16
It's even worse Paul when you are sitting there with a nice bit of music in your ears just dozing off!!! scares the sh1t out of you[:D] All in all the CH definitely made the day start well.
#313239 by mitchja
24 Sep 2005, 12:50
Excellent TR thanks Dave [:)]

Regards
#313272 by buns
24 Sep 2005, 18:24
Dave

Many thanks for the detailed TR[y][y]

It certainly comes across how much you and your family enjoyed both the Clubhouse and the flight - nice to see that the Gatwick clubhouse continues to provide such excellent service.

buns
#313276 by JAT74L
24 Sep 2005, 18:35
Great TR Dave and glad the 3 of you enjoyed it so much! I did notice during my one and only UCS experience so far that the buttons are veery easily pushed!

Regards

John
#313312 by Dave Adkins
24 Sep 2005, 20:47
Thanks guys, now the jet lag is wearing off[:0] I'll do the return flight TR. The VTouch girls were really understanding with our son as I said in the TR, it helped that when I phoned to make the booking, that I spoke to them and explained the problems. They talked me through the process and really put us at our ease.
#313314 by Dave Adkins
24 Sep 2005, 20:50
Just checked my FC account and we've gone silver! Talk about fast posting not even back 3 days and the miles are posted. Now all I have to do is win the lottery to attain Au[:I]
#313316 by preiffer
24 Sep 2005, 21:06
Now all I have to do is win the lottery to attain Au[:I]
<<----- And update your V-Flyer profile, of course... [;)]

Well done [y][:D]
#313317 by mitchja
24 Sep 2005, 21:08
Congrats on reaching Ag Dave [:)]

Regards
#313318 by Nottingham Nick
24 Sep 2005, 21:12
Thanks for the TR, Dave[y]

Glad all went well with your flight, especially pleasing to hear that the CH staff went that ' extra yard' to make sure your Son was put at ease.

Nick
#313320 by Dave Adkins
24 Sep 2005, 21:16
I will update my profile when I get the new number, will be a couple of weeks before we get the shiny new card[:D]
#313322 by preiffer
24 Sep 2005, 21:23
I will update my profile when I get the new number, will be a couple of weeks before we get the shiny new card[:D]
No need Dave - just look under your name on the top right of your FC account on va.com after you log in. I think you'll find it's your new 800 number, begging to be used [;)][y]
#313327 by Dave Adkins
24 Sep 2005, 21:30
Sorry Paul, still has my old number up there.[:(]
#313328 by preiffer
24 Sep 2005, 21:32
Hmm - that's weird, yet it says Silver as the level? Maybe there's an overnight/weekend batch run or something to switch your 'live' number online.

Oh well, it's not going to be tooooo long, anyway [:)]
#313345 by honey lamb
24 Sep 2005, 23:45
Thanks Dave for a very enjoyable trip report. I'm glad it all went well as you were becoming a little apprehensive about it some time back.

I too have noticed how sensitive the controls are and on one of my first trips in the Suites I was reading. Every time I turned a page I hit the controls so I was up and down like a roller coaster! Funnily enough it seemed to be worse when I was in the K seats as opposed to the A ones. I must lean to the left.

Congrats on the silver. Enjoy it
Virgin Atlantic