Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238058 by Dave Adkins
24 Sep 2005, 21:15
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Started the day by using Downtown Disney Check-in. Had a hiccup with the security guy wanting us to get our son out of the van, but after we explained the situation, he came over to the van and checked us there. After that the checkin went OK even with 7 Bags! The agent needed reminding that because we were UC we were allowd 3 per person. We got given the Delta Crown Lounge invitation and went on our way. Arrived at the airport to hand the van back at 3pm, made our way through security[:(] and up to the lounge [n] - Big mistake. Got told off because I was wearing a vest [:0], lucky I had a T Shirt in my carry on. I think it would have been better sitting downstairs in the Outback Restaurant. I do not like the lounge it's very drab and definitely not up to VS standards - perhaps we have been spoiled[?]
Still made our way down to the gate, saw it was VROS still no LHR 400 and Odyssey. Had a disagreement with one of the gate staff she was going to let the UCS pax on before us[:(!] I had to point out that not only did we need 'lift-on' which requires pre-boarding but we were also UCS! She saw the point and we were first on @ 1855. The FSM introduced herself took drink/meal orders and handed out the sleepsuits. There was a copy of Carlos in the seat pocket.
The a/c was pushed back at 1943, and we were wheels up off of 35L @ 2007 for a 7hr 30 mins flight. Nova[:(][:(] was playing up and it took the FSM over an hour to get it working properly. NO sky map on this flight[:(] I didn't try the bed out as I was keeping an eye on our son. The wife did but was not too impressed as the topcover kept coming off and the cabin was a bit too warm. Had a chat with a few of the crew, plugged V-Flyer and handed out a few cards.
I will not comment on the food only to say that the icecream was lovely.[:p] The bacon rolls for brekkie certainly went down well.
We landed at 0901 and then when we got off it was the scrum for immigration. All in all a great flight as usual with VA let down by the Delta lounge.
#313321 by Nottingham Nick
24 Sep 2005, 21:21
Thanks again, Dave [:)]

Come on... you can tell us about the food.. I take it from your discreet silence, that it wasn't great [;)]

Nick
#313323 by AlanA
24 Sep 2005, 21:26
Thanks for the trip report dave, though I have to disagree about the Delta Lounge, I like it, being a haven of piece and quiet with free booze [:D]
I like the Gentlemans club decor personally.
#313324 by Dave Adkins
24 Sep 2005, 21:29
The food was not that great, I had the salmon and I wished I hadn't very bland...... As to the lounge I prefer a bit of life, the free beer was OK but with no food apart from cheese biscuits and only CNN to watch on the TV's.
#313325 by buns
24 Sep 2005, 21:29
Dave

Thanks for another good report[y][y]

I know what you meant about the Delta Crown Room - the saving grace is that it is (usually) peaceful up there away from the hustle and bustle of the terminal.

I trust you and your family had a good break
#313329 by Dave Adkins
24 Sep 2005, 21:33
You do not know how good it was Buns, 10 days in Arkansas just chillin'. Let down by the fact that it was a dry county[:(] Had to drive to restaurants no pavements! Spent some great time with our Ar friend. Then it was back to the mayhem of Orlando[:D]
#313354 by honey lamb
25 Sep 2005, 00:27
Thanks for the report.

I have to agree with you about the Delta Crown lounge. While it did provide a haven from the seething masses outside I was disappointed with the selection of food and had to take my son to Burger King for sustenance. To be honest, I think I would have preferred to stay there - there was more of a buzz!
#313377 by Dave Adkins
25 Sep 2005, 10:29
To True Lamb, although the wife was not too impressed with the 'clean air police' over there. At least in Memphis airport there were 2 bars to smoke in but at MCO there is nowhere. That did not make for a happy wife[:(] along with nothing to do in the lounge made for a very loooong 3 hrs till the flight was called[B)] I just cannot see the logic in the no smoking ban at major long-haul airports. Most people are a little nervous with flying and a cigarette will normally help to calm them down[:0] Even in Gatwick you can at least smoke in 'designated areas'.
#313383 by Scrooge
25 Sep 2005, 10:47
Thanks for the TR Dave

I did manage to find somewhere to smoke at LAX,but it's at terminal 5 so no use when flying VS,I would also like to see somewhere where we could light up after a long haul but before customs etc..
#313385 by Dave Adkins
25 Sep 2005, 10:57
True Dave, I don't smoke but my wife smoked before she met me[:)] and probably more now[:D] but I don't begrudge her the habit. It would be so easy just to set 1 room aside with extra fans etc for smokers. I know they have done it in several of the lounges in the UK airports, what is with you Americans?
#313388 by Scrooge
25 Sep 2005, 11:14
American !!! American !!!those are fighting words my good man !!!

well Cali is a world on to it's own..no smoking anywhere,though I find it funny that wacky backy is their biggest crop..

SLC is the same way,no smoking anywhere..my fav. airport is HNL,with those open walk ways you can light up anywhere.
#313393 by jaguarpig
25 Sep 2005, 11:53
I liked the delta lounge, I would say it's the best non virgin lounge.A lot better than LAX or BOS.Bloody marys were very good.[:D]
#313405 by Dave Adkins
25 Sep 2005, 12:35
I didn't mean any offence Dave, but LA aside the 'no-smoking' lobby is taking over everywhere! It's bad enough having to put up with a wife going without a cigarette for 9+ hours on a plane, but add 2+ hours before that and it's almost divorce time[:(] And after 20 yrs of 'wedded bliss'[:I] I don't think I can afford it now[:D]
#313428 by Scrooge
25 Sep 2005, 16:08
No offence taken,just playing...think how my wife feels..after tyhe last LHR-LAX/can we go any slower through immagration/baggage/customs we were at eachothers throats on the walk to terminal 1.
#313449 by mcuth
25 Sep 2005, 19:25
Originally posted by jetwet1
SLC is the same way,no smoking anywhere..

Ummm, SLC has smoking rooms on the gate concourses doesn't it? At least, it did when I was there in March/April...

Cheers

Michael
#313451 by Scrooge
25 Sep 2005, 19:32
Originally posted by mcuth
SLC is the same way,no smoking anywhere..

Ummm, SLC has smoking rooms on the gate concourses doesn't it? At least, it did when I was there in March/April...

Cheers

Michael

I couldn't find any of the darn thing's,but i'll stand corrected.
#313518 by mcuth
26 Sep 2005, 18:36
I couldn't find any of the darn thing's,but i'll stand corrected.

Ah mate, rely on me to find a smoking area whenever there is one [;)]. To be fair, the areas are mentioned on the SLC website - from this page

'Smoking
Permitted in designated areas only. Smoking lounges are located on the lower levels of both Concourses A and B, near Gates C8 and D1, and in the Concourse E lobby.'

As an example, this PDF is of lower level Concourse B [:)]

Cheers

Michael
#313633 by ChuckC
27 Sep 2005, 15:54
Dave,
So glad you enjoyed your vacation and that nearly everything worked out comfortably for you and your family.

As you say, the 'anti-smoking' lobby is everywhere! Although I haven't smoked in over 20 years I do feel badly that here in America we have to try so hard to legislate what's best for each other; what ever happened to informed, personal choice?

Thanks for the two good reports, Dave.

Chuck-
#313728 by Dave Adkins
28 Sep 2005, 11:36
That' the whole point isn't it Chuck. They seem to be taking the personal choice element out of the equation. It's more like Big Brother every time we go. I agree it's bad for you, and other people shouldn't 'passive smoke' if they don't want to. But if they don't want people to smoke stop selling the D**n things!
#313730 by AlanA
28 Sep 2005, 11:53
Don't worry, within a short period of time, it will be illegal to smoke in any form of resturant in the UK, including public houses who serve food, but not funnily enough in private members clubs...
Finally the clean air act will mean just that..[:D]
#313971 by Littlejohn
29 Sep 2005, 18:45
Tricky one this smoking malarkey. Certainly non-smokers should not have it inflicted on them. (Hang on a minute while I try and get this damn lighter to work, click, click..........Arh! that's better).

Now as I was saying, non-smokers have rights, but so do the other 25% of the adult population. I must admit to some frustrated and aerated moments waiting at immigration and luggage collection before the headlong rush towards the exits at LHR T3. Would it not be better to have a smoking area before customs? The benefits for the smokers are obvious. But even the non-smokers would benefit: the loos between the gates and immigration would not stink from the bloke in trap 4 having a crafty one, and all the 'nonies' could have a good gloat at the all the 'coffin nails' have a good drag, crushed together in a yellow stained cubicle. And there would be endless opportunities for the really evangelical nonies to walk past, tut and mutter 'I say, how disgusting'. Of course it would mean that all the smokers would be last at immigration - but some would have probably succumbed to one of the many fatal diseases by then, which means less waiting for the rest of us.[:D]

Just my thought for the day.

#313992 by Dave Adkins
29 Sep 2005, 21:45
It's not really this country that pi**ed my wife off. It's the attitude of our transatlantic cousins, in that once past security NO-ONE can smoke! As a non-smoker (and never having smoked) I will defend the right of anyone else to kill themselves with the coffin nails. Especially if it stops me getting my head bitten off because we have to be at the airport so early!
#313993 by Decker
29 Sep 2005, 21:48
Originally posted by AlanA

What - they're finally banning cars?[}:)]
#313995 by AlanA
29 Sep 2005, 22:00
Originally posted by Decker

What - they're finally banning cars?[}:)]

No, just pricing people out of having any fuel to run them and making more congestion charges. [:D]
Actually, the EU is bringing forward another airline tax on aircraft entering the EEC airspace to pay for that aircrafts environmental effect, so even more taxes on your ticket to come [y]
#314005 by honey lamb
29 Sep 2005, 22:59
Don't worry, within a short period of time, it will be illegal to smoke in any form of resturant in the UK, including public houses who serve food, but not funnily enough in private members clubs...

Well, what about us? We've had the 'no smoking in the workplace' act in place for over a year and everyone was surprised how well it was enforced. There isn't total enforcement. For example, a lorry driver in his cab is in the workplace but how do you stop him from smoking? [:D]

Actually it is quite pleasant, as a non-smoker, to go into a pub for the evening and not come out reeking of stale tobacco - especially as many publicans have been very creative in establishing smoking areas. The downside of the no smoking ban is, however, as the night goes on you become aware of more pungent body odours! [:0][:I]
Virgin Atlantic