Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238075 by timsdm
26 Sep 2005, 19:43
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
There was three of us travelling as part of a package with VH and part independant stay.
I had tried checking us all in the evening before on line but for some reason our flight wasn't available, I wanted to do this as I had previously had problems in not getting the seats I wanted. But I gave it a go in the morning again and it worked fine - easy enough but would be quite laborious with a large group.
We arrived at the UC check in as there was a sprawling mass of people at DIY check in and I felt we shouldn't have to queue as it was we had to wait a little while at check in, but the agent was more then happy to see to us even though we had already checked in on line.
It seems you don't get fast track or lounge invites anymore instead just use the boarding card - which is fine as no bits of paper to lose.

We rapidly made our way to the club lounge and since the aiport was really busy we wanted to get there ASAP. When we appraoched the marble stairs there was a small group of people getting a guided tour of the new facilities - not sure who but i heard lots of ooh's and ahh's.
We like others had a little guided tour of the new lounge - completely different to the old one - but quite busy at that time of the morning.
We grabbed a table for breakfast and had the full english - very nice and the juice i had was lovely as well - cant remember the name but it had mint in it. There was a lovely waitress who for the next couple of hours kept smiling at me.

We took up residence in the bit that looks a little like the bridge of a startrek ship and ordered some drinks and read the paper, my two pals went off for their treatments (we all pre booked rhinestone cowboy) whilst they were getting pampered I had a mill about checking out what else there was by the time they came back and it was my turn to go for my treatment the CH was completely full with no more seats available (I know this is only temporary till the next section opens).

The massage was good but the shave only OK having had better elsewhere, whilst I was having my treatment apparently Robbie Williams walked past (not that I noticed)myself and the beautician went on to discuss the pleasure of travelling UC.

We went off to the Gate when called the plane being Ruby Tuesday - not V-Port but never mind. I had seat 18G my partner 18G and our pal 18A which were excellent for chatting once the partition was down.
We took off a few minutes late and the service started there appeared to be two seperate crews for the two sides of the plane which became evident later. The usual drinks were served pre and post take off, me taking full adavantage of a supply of Tanqueray No.10.
The IFBT came around and took orders - I wasnt picked this time nor my partner but our pal was - not sure how I feel about it being abit of a lottery as to whether you get a treatment.

Meal service as soonh after take of as they could how ever my partner sat next to me who had the other cabin crew got his starter the same time as mine but my main course didn't arrive for another 30-40 mins after he had finished his desert ! I mentioned the delay to the cabin crew and she said she was working as quick as she could which made me feel a bit bad. Anyhow I had the soup - very nice and the steak - again very nice followed by the cheese again very nice - no complaints about the food I ate every scrap - the coffee was only warm though.

I setlled down abit after dinner and watched abit of TV dont recall what as for the rest of the flight i sat at the bar with my companions chatting with the crew and other PAX all of us singing the praises of sitting at a bar on a plane !!

We had our sandwiches by the bar and in fact whever else we wanted as the crew kept on trying to give us chocolates and loads of ice cream but i wasnt complaining.

What I liked about the flight was that I could so easily walk about sit with my pals and chat with other pax without feeling as if i was in the way, which meant the 8.5 hours was a breeze more like going to a bar for a few drinks with a comfy seat!!

We landed early (I think) then hit Immigration that seemed to take longer than the flight, there was a sprawling mass of 1000's of people with loads of agents generally being rude shooving us into a queue. The baggage carousel was a laugh in that it blocked continuously and our bags came of last of all along with all of the other UC pax.

In conclusion the CH - excellent but needs the extension opening soon
UCS - excellent Food - very good (but a little slow) all in all splendid well worth the expense.
#313527 by AlanA
26 Sep 2005, 19:51
Nice trip report Timsdm, but wasn't it a bit crowded in the seat?? was the flight that full? [:o)][:o)]
#313528 by JO5H777
26 Sep 2005, 19:53
thnx for the TR glad you had a fab experience and enjoyed the food, considering there has been a few complaints of recent!
#313550 by philadam
26 Sep 2005, 21:52
Thanks timsdm. Good to see that you enjoyed the food. It has been a bit depressing reading of late. Perhaps I would have marked it down a bit for the delay, but if it was worth the wait, then what the heck[:)]

Alan, your mind works the same way as mine does. Sounds better than a removable partition[;)]

Phil
#313562 by slinky09
26 Sep 2005, 22:29
Good report Tim, you chime with some other comments about the standard of shave but everyone seems to love the new club house ... sounds great but clearly they need the extension.
#313578 by jilly
27 Sep 2005, 00:26
Thanks for a great trip report Tim.

Just to let you know, if you don't already, that the laborious job of checking in on line for a large group only has to be done for the outward. When you check-in on line for the return journey the system holds the passport numbers, FF details etc, so at least that part only has to be done once.

Jilly
#313581 by n/a
27 Sep 2005, 01:55
Originally posted by timsdm
I had seat 18G my partner 18G

We're all dirty minds here...this jumped out at me, too. [}:)]
#313605 by timsdm
27 Sep 2005, 12:14
i was just testing you all with the deliberate mistake [;)]
#313610 by jaguarpig
27 Sep 2005, 12:35
Thanks for the report,the shave at LGW was fine last month. Do we have an ETA for the opening of the next phase of the LHR CH yet?
#313631 by ChuckC
27 Sep 2005, 15:47
Tim,
Thanks for a good read. Was relieved and happy to see that you enjoyed the food. Dare I inquire about 'why' the recent improvements? Nah, better just to enjoy it.

What did you think of those seats? Are they truly built for '2'?

Thanks again.

Chuck-
#313727 by timsdm
28 Sep 2005, 11:10
The seats are very good for chatting to each other or eating a meal but having to sit on the ottoman thing for a long time would get uncomfortable. Even with the partition taken down between the two seats I didn't feel that we exactly together but still very comfy !
Virgin Atlantic