Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238084 by mcuth
27 Sep 2005, 02:03
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Used OLCI on the Tuesday at work, and the VS site crashed as I was changing my seat assignment - had to ring the Premier Team to check that OLCI had worked, it had, and the seat assignment had gone through. I was now allocated 31C in Y as requested.

I'd been working & packing through the night, getting ~15mins sleep before the taxi arrived early at my flat on Wednesday morning (booked for 0515hrs, arrived @ 0500hrs) - I wasn't quite ready, so made the driver wait til the appointed time [:D] (BTW, if anyone from the Swindon area wants a recommendation for a reasonably-priced airport taxi service, it was Link Radio Cars). So nice to have a traffic-free journey down the M4 - such a change from my daily commute between J16 & J5 [y]

Got to check-in ~0645hrs and headed to the UC check-in - BTW, I really like the redesign of the VS check-in area, so much tidier-looking than it was previously. The Securicor pre-screener lady was nice & friendly, asking some questions about where I'd been in Malaysia last year - she was also a little amazed at me checking in so early for the 1100hrs flight ('I need to maximise my ClubHouse time' was my reply [:D]). I got the inevitable 'Do you have any cigarette lighters with you? If so, remember you can't take them past the gate area' - I'd brought my oldest, emptiest lighter with me in this eventuality, but at least I'd still be able to smoke in the CH!

There were no staff at UC check-in, so I got diverted to the small queue at the PE desks. Explained that I'd already checked-in online, and wanted to request a bulkhead seat - unfortunately no bulkheads were available ('they're all reserved for pax with children sir, but you can ask at the gate' - first time I've ever heard this). Confirmed that all exit rows were chargeable at the princely sum of 50 - so asked about the free A/K seats (the ones with the door bustle) - these are now only available as part of a 'buy one, get one free' offer on the exit rows (hmm, so what happens for those travelling solo??). Anyhow, kept my original seat, and got my BC (had to ask for a Fasttrack sticker to be placed on it though). Even though the check-in agent was pleasant, it wasn't my best check-in experience, so I marked this as average.

Headed through a very quiet security check (no shoes off, no laptop out of bag, etc... how I love UK security [:D]) and then through the outbound passport control checkpoint, before my nostrils were assaulted by the pungent fragrances abusing my airspace in World Duty Free (ack! [:(]). As I'd pre-ordered my duty free, I exited the shop as quickly as possible and headed towards the gate areas to get to the ClubHouse.

The CH entrance stairway is mighty impressive (and I do like the alternative method of a lift to the side of the stairwell):

Got to the front desk just after 0700hrs and presented my BC & Au card for entry, commenting that the entrance was truly impressive, but got no reply to that. The receptionist asked if I'd been in the CH - not since the remodelling, I replied - she offered to give me a guided tour, which I accepted. The 'guided tour' was very quick - 'Here's the secure bag check' (which I used straight off), then a quick point to 'there's the bar, and the toilets are down there' - wasn't drastically impressed with the briefness of this and had to almost grab her arm to get a couple of extra questions answered. Had a wander around to acquaint myself with the surroundings and told the Cowshed reception that I was in the CH - just so they knew in advance of my pre-booked Rhinestone Cowboy treatment. Decided to make myself comfortable in the smoking area behind the bar, and my order was soon taken for a glass of champagne & a full English breakfast [y] Whilst waiting for the food & drink, I took in the view from the window by my seat:

Wasn't long before my champagne arrived, along with the plastic cutlery & napkin for my food.....

Champers @ 0730hrs:

Whilst waiting for the breakfast to arrive, I went up to the concierge desk and asked if they could check on bulkhead availability for the flight - but they could only do this when the check-in closed @ ~0950hrs. Left my details for them to check at that time. Went back to the smoking area, and my breakfast was just arriving - very nice & tasty breakfast (if a little lacking in the quantity I like in a full English [:D]). Since I was still hungry, I decided to take full advantage and order the scrambled eggs & smoked salmon - along with a Blue Lagoon [;)] Both were excellent [y] Since the wireless internet service offered is the T-mobile 'got-you-by-the-short-and-curlies' chargeable service, I went off to use the free PCs in 'The Office' to post on here....

The blue drinks start flowing:

At 0900hrs, I went up to the Cowshed reception and I was able to go into a booth straight away for my treatment. I can't agree with some of the other reports about The Rhinestone Cowboy treatment - for me it was a very close shave, and the treatment so relaxing that I fell asleep [:D] (note that in the Cowshed menu in the CH, it mentions nothing about the treatment including eyebrow shaping, unlike the VS website). After being suitably beautified (nah, the treatment couldn't be *that* good [:D]), I went back into the smoking area and chucked down another couple of Blue Lagoons before the boarding call came. Before leaving for boarding, I asked at the concierge desk if there'd been any luck with the bulkhead quest - nope, all full. I prepared for the long trek to Gate 42 by catching the lift down to the lower floor (gotta conserve energy [:D]) - but WTF are my flights *always* from the gates furthest away? *sigh*

Got to the gate, where priority boarding was well signed and working (even though there was a long queue). Was asked how long I was going to be in the US for, but that was all.

Asked again about a bulkhead seat - no joy, all full - to be fair, I'd known the flight was chock-full from the availability tool, but it never hurts to try [;)]. Still, when putting my BC through the machine, it came back with 'wrong data' as it did all 4 times the GA tried. Oooh, what did that mean? Could this be my very first op-up? Nope, according to the GA, I had bent the BC - as it had been in my back pocket, she wasn't far wrong [:D] So, I boarded G-VBIG (Tinker Belle), still looking forward to my first flight in Y for quite some time & V:Port of course [:)]

Got to my seat, and there's someone sat in it [:0] Ask the girl sat there if her BC said 31C - she said 'yes' and produced her BC as proof. She was all very nice about it, said that this had happened to her before, and she got an UG last time....my heart skips a beat, could this be my time? Check the seating with an FA, who wanders off with both BCs (mine & the girl in 'my' seat) - the FA comes back and checks names on the BCs - she says that I'm actually in 76C in PE! Wooooot - my first ever VS op-up - grinning like a Cheshire Cat I was [:D][:D]

At this point, I got to meet the FSM, who shook my hand, introduced herself and took me up to the lower deck PE cabin [y][y] I got to sit at the bar while the rest of the seat assignments were sorted - was asked if I wanted champers (now, does a bear **** in the woods? [:D]) and sat chatting for a little while, while the chaos around us settled down. The ground agents were finalising the flight and were saying that the plane was completely full - Econ & PE completely full, just 4 seats in UC available (but no meals for them) - seemed like just everybody wanted to fly on that plane!

Took my seat, and the doors were closed up - push back started @ 1058hrs, but we stopped after a few feet - continuing the push back @ 1125hrs. I did my usual trick of dropping off to nap while taxiing, only to wake up at the start of the take-off roll (just why I manage to wake up at this point is beyond me). The take-off roll seemed to take ages and I thought we were never going to rotate (but after reading this thread and given that the flight was completely full, this makes more sense now) - I think we were wheels up at ~1145hrs, nice smooth climb out and the seatbelt lights were out after ~10 mins. I found the Wash PE seat to be comfortable, though it didn't seem to have as much legroom as the older style seats on the upper decks, but the silver plastic surrounds on the back actually looked quite stylish (seat gets a 'Good' marking - and I guess it was a heck of a lot better than my original assignment [:D]).

V:Port was switched on and in service very quickly - after the usual News preamble, I programmed 'Mr & Mrs Smith', 'Meet the Fockers', and various 'Little Britain', 'The Office' & 'I'm Alan Partridge' episodes. The drinks service was done and I chose a G&T - when the second drinks service came round, I ordered a G&T and managed to fall asleep before it came [:D] When the meal service was ready, I chose the chicken - it was extremely good, a nice chunk of chicken, cooked well, with Penne pasta & a mushroom sauce - very tasty. The dessert was a chocolate profiterole-type dessert, and that was good too - full marks on the food [y]

Marked Entertainment as Excellent, though I didn't actually get to see most of my V:Port programming - I catnapped through a lot of the flight (in fact, I should apologise to the guy in 76A who was desperate for the loo at one point, but couldn't wake me up [:I]) and chose to watch some episodes of Coupling Series 1 on DVD (sorry to those that got my LMAO out loud - Coupling is too funny!), but I wanted to watch the choices I'd made (in fact, I had a book I wanted to read too - but never really got the chance) [:D]

Apparently, somewhere along the line, my pre-order had been messed up - instead of 200 Lambert & Butler, there was a bottle of Glenfiddich in my pre-order bag (maybe someone was trying to get me to give up smoking [:D]), but that was soon easily sorted with 200 Benson & Hedges replacing the Glenfiddich [y]

More catnapping - my last catnap went through the afternoon tea service and I awoke some 55mins before landing....me missing food [:0] - though the FSM did manage to find some sandwiches left over from the UC tea service - much appreciated [y][y][y] In fact, I have to give full marks to all the staff on this flight, they were above excellent, and I was well looked after throughout - the FSM being particularly outstanding [:)]

We took a particularly Southern approach into SFO - I don't think I've ever had an approach as far South over SF before. A very smooth approach & landing got us on the ground and parked up by 1350hrs PDT - bang on time [y]

A very quick disembarkation, followed by a fast walk up to immigration. Thank goodness I'd decided to walk quickly - the BA flight must've landed at the same time as us and was just as full. So 2 full 747s dumping out into immigration at the same time, which I'm sure you can imagine lead to some big queues - I managed to avoid most of these and was stood in a short line of 7 people, sandwiched between BA pax [:D] Even so, it still took some 15 mins to get through though. For some reason, my fingers were very dry, and that lead to problems trying to get my fingerprints at the immigration post - all sorted with a quick dab of a moisture pad on the counter, and very few questions asked. My luggage was already going round the carousel, and was straight through customs with no problems - outside the terminal by 1420hrs PDT - not bad at all [y][y] Oh, and I realised that I still had my cigarette lighter with me - such a dangerous thing to be taking onboard, obviously [:D]

All in all, an excellent flight [:)]

Cheers

Michael
#313583 by jilly
27 Sep 2005, 04:48
I really enjoyed your report Michael. Congrats on the op-up.

As a side note I really enjoyed Coupling too though thought the last series wasn't as good without the guy who spoke in a welsh accent but actually comes from Sheffield (a great place to be born), can't remember his name.

You naughty person forgetting to dispose of your lighter[:0]

Jilly
#313585 by slinky09
27 Sep 2005, 08:06
Great TR and detail, fabulous about the op up and may luck be with you on the return! Perhaps your fingers were dry just because you were a little dehydrated after all those blue drinks and bubbles [:D]
#313587 by mike-smashing
27 Sep 2005, 08:41
Oh, you've had it now. Major felony that cigarette lighter! [:p]

Nice tr, and congrats on the op-up.

Cheers,
Mike
#313590 by sky
27 Sep 2005, 09:21
Thanks, that was a highly entertaining piece, and good work on the op/up!

On a side note, I love coupling, and watching it without headphones in Oakland airport was a good way to get lots of angry stares from prude americans around us [:)].

Cheers
sky
#313597 by Milliemoo
27 Sep 2005, 10:32
Fantastic TR ! Congrats on the UG [:D]

Miliemoo
#313604 by mcuth
27 Sep 2005, 12:08
Thanks for your kind comments folks [:I] The only downside to being a criminally dangerous lighter smuggler (I'm expecting the feds to knock on the door right now [;)]) is that when you light up outside, you're immediately collared by 5 million other smokers that had their lighters confiscated [:D]

Jilly - that'll be Jeff Murdock, played by Richard Coyle. Totally agree with you about Series 4 - Oliver is no Jeff, and the show lost some of its magic without Jeff's fantastic observations [;)]

Slinky - nah, the drinkies had nothing to do with it, honest [:D]

Cheers

Michael
#313630 by ChuckC
27 Sep 2005, 15:41
Michael,
Wonderful report, mate. Thanks, too, for the picture of the stairway at the LHR CH; had been wondering how that looked. And an op up!!![8D]. Congratulations.

Imagine you must have written this while relaxing at your Napa paradise, correct?

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Chuck-
#313641 by mcuth
27 Sep 2005, 18:53
Originally posted by Strawberry Muppet
No Baileys and Brandy service after lunch then?

Damn! Why is there always something I forget? [:D]
Yes indeed, there was a Brandy & Baileys service after lunch (served by the FSM no less) - I chose the Baileys, highly enjoyable end to a very nice meal [y]

Originally posted by ChuckC
Thanks, too, for the picture of the stairway at the LHR CH; had been wondering how that looked.

Np - it's a very impressive entrance, if a little hard work to climb it (well, for lazy folks like me anyway [:D])...

And an op up!!![8D]. Congratulations.

Thanks - was great to experience one after all this time [:)]

Imagine you must have written this while relaxing at your Napa paradise, correct?

Indeed - I'm here until next Monday - such a hard, hard life [:D]

Cheers

Michael
#313643 by JO5H777
27 Sep 2005, 19:07
thanks for a great TR i'll hopefully be posting mine soon for my next trip.
#313645 by n/a
27 Sep 2005, 19:19
While there's really no way to make an op-up a bad experience, it's too bad they didn't have themselves sorted so they could have saved you the experience of double-booked seat, etc. They had an opportunity to really 'own' the experience and proactively present you with the news instead of having you sort of stumble into the realization!

Glad you had a happy flight and that you got a little more legroom and heightened level of service on the deal as well [:D]

GJ
#313647 by mitchja
27 Sep 2005, 19:38
Excellent TR thanks Michael

Congrats on the op-up as well [:D]

Silly question that I've been meaning to ask others but is the entrance to the new LHR Clubhouse in the same place as the old entrance [?]

I'm never going to remember to only carry matches when flying to the US from now on [:I]

Regards
#313666 by Richard28
27 Sep 2005, 21:43
Fab TR Michael - excellent pics too.

my congrats too on the op-up!

Rich.
#313708 by kkempton
28 Sep 2005, 00:22
What a good read! The pictures made it nicer too.
#313831 by honey lamb
28 Sep 2005, 22:36
Great trip report and well done on the op-up. It's all the nicer when you've resigned yourself to the fact that it isn't going to happen. Doesn't it make all those KUL-SIN legs worth it?

Thank goodness I'd decided to walk quickly - the BA flight must've landed at the same time as us and was just as full. So 2 full 747s dumping out into immigration at the same time, which I'm sure you can imagine lead to some big queues -

When I landed in SFO in May the BA flight not only had landed before us but had disgorged its passengers. To make matters worse there was no-one managing the queue so that it was a regular free-for-all!
#313987 by iforres1
29 Sep 2005, 20:54
Michael, thanks for the excellent TR, although this getting to miss a food service is becoming a habit[:D].

See you on the 8th

Iain
#315031 by mcuth
07 Oct 2005, 00:05
Thanks for the really kind comments folks [:)] Just to add a few answers to points/questions raised:

Oh, before I forget, I got my pre-order duty free delivered ok - but 200 Lambert & Butler had mysteriously become a bottle of Glenfiddich! This was replaced with 200 B&H and all was well with the world.... the miles for the pre-order went on my FC account today [y]

GJ: Up to a point I agree with you - it would've been nice to know about the op-up before getting on the plane. But then again, ever hopeful, but not expectant - it made it all a more 'wow' experience [:)]

James: Now, I'm trying to remember where the old entrance was [:I] The new one is on the same corridor, but quite near the beginning of the corridor on the left hand side. Have to say the lighter ban is still ridiculous (and it's a US govt restriction, rather than TSA) - my lighter obviously was such a threat through the entire flight [;)] Just make sure to carry an old lighter that's low on gas [:)]

HoneyLamb: Yeah, I think it made it worth it [;)] It was strange to be inbetween BA pax, but the queue behind us was amazingly long. I've seen that free-for-all before, not pleasant!

Iain: [:p][:p][:p][:D]

Cheers

Michael
Virgin Atlantic