Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238163 by slinky09
30 Sep 2005, 15:41
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Away to sunny Las Vegas and Palm Springs for Autumn holiday! Not been to Las Vegas before so set off with great anticipation.

Dropped off neatly at Heathrow at 0945 for the 12 noon flight, a little earlier than normal since we had spa treatments booked. Although I'd used OLCI rather than fast bag drop went to the desk instead since it was empty, and I like a little human interaction. Check in fine and staff bubbly and efficient as usual, got a comment on my Pan Am tshirt (do quite frequently, guess because it's so iconic and btw bought here).

Really like the lounge, though like others it doesn't look that spacious at first sight but the more time you spend in it the more it seems to work. Love the lifts as well, in fact if I had lifts at home the only way I'd improve these is to have a little shelf for a martini glass next to the seat!

As said, had a Rhinestone Cowboy booked and went promptly for it. Overall report is very good, nice invigorating massage and a good shave and tone ... little disconcerted by how open the treatment rooms are though but once flat on the chair/bed you forget. Ceiling lights are a bit obtrusive initially and didn't have the vibrating chair so can't comment on that. As said, very pleased and relaxed after this.

Cowboy followed by salmon and scrambled eggs with a Bloody Mary, the no. 1 had salmon on a bagel (which came after 30 mins and two reminders) and by the time that was down it was nearly time to head for the gate via a little light shopping.

Didn't see which 747 was waiting, couldn't get a view through gate 32 and boarding was the usual mess when feeling a little guilty about pushing through to the priority channel. Flight was near full in UC and about 80% in economy - perhaps that was why we pushed back on time and rotated by 1216 (now I know what that means I can say it convincingly!). About the closest on time take-off to the US I've had for years.

On board crew uniformly fantastic. Our FSM Susie was cool, fun and witty - post-take off announcement went 'there are some spare seats in economy so if you want to sit next to someone more attractive please do'. Tony, our CSS in upper made a mean martini and the flight passed very well. Sadly however the suites were looking shabbier than my last flight, my seat felt hard particularly across the middle where the padding appeared poor, and my suite was poorly cleaned - OJ stains on the wall and hairs from the previous passenger as examples. So I've marked the seat down for once.

Lunch menu:

Starters
- gravadlax salad
- asparagus and gruyere soup

Mains
- chicken with pancetta and gnocchi
- steak with dauphonoise
- vegetable lasagne

Three cheeses and a tart of mango and lime ice cream for pudding.

Felt the choice wasn't very wide but have to report that the soup and steak I had were very tasty. However they were not hot and that marked them down a little.

Drinks on board came from a usual selection of goodish wines, unfortunately there was no chablis as listed and the champagne ran out half way over the US.

VPort was probably excellent but unless there's a must see film listed I rarely watch and simply put the Bose QCs on with iPod playing. Have bought a Belkin extra power pack for the iPod and it works a treat so much recommended, though it's a little bulky. Tried to do a little work but an electrical problem meant no seat power for laptops and since battery was low I missed out on that.

Afternoon tea was tasty, choice of chicken sandwiches and spring rolls, accompanied by green tea for me.

Had a good view of Las Vegas and the forest fires around LA before landing.

All in all, a very efficient service from Virgin, marred by a few niggly things but particularly the suite itself. As I have found for a long time now, the crew are the best thing and make the flights what they are.

Absolutely no issues on landing, quick off, very short wait for immigration and at the baggage carousel a few minutes before the bags but they were off quickly as well. With the on time departure and no strong headwinds we were about 40 minutes early. The meant a long wait before next flight (on AA) to Las Vegas. I thought from reading other posts we'd have to take transit to change terminals but since we'd landed at T2 and AA are T4 we were directed to walk, and it's not that far at although with lots of bags and hot sun not so comfortable. Couldn't take an earlier AA flight than the 1830 booked so checked in, got an upgrade to first which was cool but not really necessary since its a 60 min flight, and headed to T3 (told better choice pre-security) to find somewhere to eat, drink and chill.

AA flight ended up being delayed by an hour so eventually arrived in Las Vegas at 2045 making it a very long day indeed and pleased to get bags quickly, then out and in a cab to The Bellagio. Surprised at how big Las Vegas airport is ... but should have guessed. Now after two days still sleeping on UK time but having a wild time. Not convinced by those who say lake view is essential, strip view is for me since the fountain show is so much better from ground level than 20 stories up, but will write more about all this.

Just noticed online that the return VS24 on 11 October is now non-suite, it had been showing as a 343 with UCS for weeks so great disappointment [:(].
#314109 by Littlejohn
30 Sep 2005, 16:36
Tried to do a little work but an electrical problem meant no seat power for laptops and since battery was low I missed out on that.

That's lucky.

Just noticed online that the return VS24 on 11 October is now non-suite, it had been showing as a 343 with UCS for weeks so great disappointment

That's not so lucky.

Thanks for a really concise, to the point, and informative TR.
#314121 by Scrooge
30 Sep 2005, 18:10
Sorry to hear about VS 24,guess as time goes on this will become an all suite route.

asparagus and gruyere soup...who thinks up these combo's?

anyways good TR,glad you enjoyed the flight..stop by and say hi if you get the chance.
#315115 by Stevenla
07 Oct 2005, 19:02
Hi -- Could you please tell me how you determined that your upcoming 024 was a non-suite UC? I can't find this information on the VA website. Thanks............Steven
#315133 by buns
07 Oct 2005, 21:31
Slinky

Nice TR[y][y]

Your comments on the efficincy of the crew mirror my continued reason for wishing to fly VS.

hope Vegas was succesful[;)]
#315261 by slinky09
09 Oct 2005, 02:23
Originally posted by Stevenla
Hi -- Could you please tell me how you determined that your upcoming 024 was a non-suite UC? I can't find this information on the VA website. Thanks............Steven

Hi Steven

Simply checked the seat plan in Manage Your Flights on the VA Web site. It showed a UCS 343 for weeks and I had 4A and 5A but then the seat plan switched to a non-suite configured 343 - you can tell because the suite is three across whereas the non-suite is old business class like 6 across.

Mind you, you have to have a reservation to see that ... not sure how you would if not?
Virgin Atlantic