Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238220 by ade99
03 Oct 2005, 22:42
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
The other half was not impressed, what is our Gold-run has turned out to be probably the last one he wants to fly. Goes on a bit but all he had the new laptop with him on the plane:

The following trip report has been written live on my notebook so that I can be as accurate and objective about each element of the flight. I am a frequent flyer with Virgin Atlantic, but have been concerned that their service over the years has been slipping in many respects. Here is an accurate and objective report based on all aspects of the flight.

Check-in

Used on-line check in 24 hours prior to departure. A minor technical problem routed me to the US Virgin Atlantic Website and would not let me check in. A call to Flying Club Silver sorted the problem but was a bit disturbed that our pre-allocated seats (8 & 9A) were changed to 7 & 8A with no reason or offer of alternative. Anyway not much difference in these seats.

Arrival at LGW South Terminal

Usual crowds at LGW on a Sat Am. Arrived at 8:00, dropped bags at Upper Class check-in with no wait. Very polite security and check-in agent. Fast track stickers not available but hand wrote on boarding pass. Was through security with little wait, a short shop in the departure lounge, and into the Clubhouse by 8:30.

The Clubhouse

Usual amount of passengers for a Sat but seating was no problem. Air-con was too cold though. Very polite and attentive staff - quick service, and excellent breakfast and drink selection. Shoe shine guy - very good and nice touch! Became clear when time reached 11:00 that the flight was delayed, so a quick question to the front desk confirmed there was a delay. An announcement followed that the flight was delayed for 30mins with an apology.

Flight called at 11:15. Clear instructions as to which gate (Gate 36) and how to get there, but surprisingly no instruction about priority boarding. This announcement was noticeably missing from all the previous flights announced. Dont know if it was just today or have Virgin stopped telling passengers about this?

Walk to Gate

A little bit of a trek to the satellite gates since they ditched the monorail and the Clubhouse could warn passengers, particularly elderly / those requiring assistance that it is about a 10 min walk to the gates (as they do for remote gates at LHR Terminal 3). Usual mass of passengers waiting at Gate 36. Large sign indicating priority boarding for Upper Class, Premium and Flying Club Gold but no indication of where to go! Walked to left side of queue next to the sign and asked a member of staff who said youll have to go to the back of the queue. Not impressed with this at all (whats the point of a sign when it doesnt seem to mean anything at Gatwick!)

Boarding

Was first time out of Gatwick since all planes have been fitted with UCS. Was on G-VAST - so ex-LHR plane. Had a bit of a problem fitting bags in overhead locker as bins above 7 and 8 were already full. Cabin crew happy to move one bag to the cupboard but asked if I wouldnt mind not getting anything from it during the flight. Nice refit of the bar area - A zone cabin identical to LHR planes otherwise. All seats were taken, but 4 were definitely occupied by crew. Horrible looking economy and premium economy cabin in the B Zone on the way in though.

In-Flight

Offered glass of champagne or juice prior to take off accompanied by a whopping 4 cheese and onion crisps and no refill! No introduction from FSM. Pushed back 11:50. A little wait on taxi way but took off at 12:12. Apologies from cockpit about delay - incoming plane delayed. Smooth take off, climb and very quiet cabin (low engine noise and air-con).

In-Flight Entertainment

Unfortunately, everything degenerated after take off. Firstly - the Odysse IFE is not bad generally, but in October there was an awful selection of movies and tv programs. Most seats had Septembers guide (including mine!) and the crew had to announce to passengers to ignore this guide and find out whats on onscreen instead. I know it was the first but surely Virgin know that its the first after each month is over and can update their guides in time!

Toilets

Used the toilet after reached altitude to find a queue of premium economy passengers at both toilets. Did not know whether to go into the premium cabin and join the back of the queue or state to passengers that the toilet was in the Upper Class cabin. Mentioned it to the CSM on-board who told me that they allow the passengers in the B zone to use the Upper Class Toilets as its a long walk back for them. Result: long queues every time I had to use the facilities especially as economy passengers were also walking forward due to the queue in their cabin. Also, the toilets are looking very tatty and worn out, and were not cleaned regularly during the flight.

Freedom Menu

This is an exact description of the so called freedom menu onboard the flight:

LUNCH

Starters

Seasonal leaf salad with grvadlax, red and yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes and dill dressing

Cream of Asparagus, Gruyere and tarragon soup served with choice of warmed breads

Main Courses

Chicken breast wrapped in pancetta served with herb gnocchi, mixed leaves and provencal sauce

Grilled Steak served with dauphinoise potatoes, fresh seasonal vegetables and horseradish sauce

Vegetable Lasagne topped with sun-blushed tomatoes and chives

Cheeses

A selection of cheeses

Dessert

Fruit of the forest tart with a pistachio tuille

Mango and Lime Ice Cream on its own or drizzled with summer berry sauce

AFTERNOON TEA

Sandwich selection of egg mayonnaise on oatmeal bread, poached salmon and watercress on malted granary bread and chicken and peppers on sun-dried tomato bread

Ginger scones served with clotted cream and strawberry jam

Your choice from the cake stand - pistachio _clair, toffee symphony and apricot and almond pasty

Notice only one snack and snooze option - the soup and one light and healthy option the salad. No lighter bites selections at all any more. In general a much reduced amount of choice than previous flights.

Food Service

Order was taken over 45 mins into the flight. Staff were not overly friendly or welcoming but werent rude either. Food was served.

Soup was warm and average tasting. Unfortunately the steak meal was probably the worse I have ever had on a plane. The plate was just a bit bigger than a tea plate. The vegetables 2 pieces of carrot, half a floret of broccoli and a slice of courgette were not cooked, and were in fact cold. The dauphinoise potatoes were in a triangular wedge looked and tasted more like a kind of mass produced stodge. The steak was small, tough and tasteless. There was no horseradish as stated.

In fact I had one mouthful of each item on the plate and could not eat any more. I noticed that another passenger opposite me had the vegetarian lasagne, took one mouthful, looked distatefully and did not eat any more either!

There was only one bread service on this flight, unlike previous VS flights. The wine was served in an unprofessional manner - the server poured the wrong wine and then said whoops - do you want another glass mate. Water glass was filled only twice during the whole meal.

Left the meal and when it was cleared away - no comment was made by the crew as to why I had left almost all of it. So instead told them it was inedible. No apologies made.

Desert was described as a tart but resembled something more like a strawberry angel delight - a rough synthetic tasteless mousse. I thought a tart involved pastry somewhere. My companion had the mango and lime ice cream which was solid but at least the crew member warned him that it has just come out the freeze so mind your teeth and you might need a chisel to eat it. Not impressed. The ice cream was indeed rock solid, and tasted only of mango. Disgusting. Surely they can take the ice cream out while theyre serving the main courses.

No coffee or tea was offered - they tried to clear away the plates without offering and when I asked for a cappucino was felt like it was an imposition.

Cappucino was served with some horrible tasting chocolates in a box. The crew took at least 20 mins to clear away my table.

Crew

As mentioned above the FSM did not introduce himself personally to the Upper Class passengers or give out Carlos magazine - with only 14 on board this hardly takes time. In fact there were at least 3 crew working in upper class, but service was amateurish, not particularly friendly, and well below the standard expected for a premium product. The crew were observed eating crisps and other snacks in the cabin while serving and drinking out of a water bottle in the aisle!

One notable exception to this was ****** who was very professional, attentive, and helpful (I purchased a watch from retail therapy, and he got my bag down, to get my passport, and put it back without me leaving the chair!)

Laptop Power

I asked for a laptop cable and was told youll have to wait as I am serving cheese and biscuits to other passengers. When I finally got attention I was told its a bit of a rigmarole because the plane doesnt have a menu stating which cable the different laptops require (why not?) Fortunately I knew what cable my notebook required and this saved having to try each lead out for size! I think I would have given up if I didnt know what cable I required! Although with the diabolical choice on the IFE the games made it just about bareable for an hour or so.

Afternoon Tea

Afternoon tea served with each passenger having their order taken individually, then being served before the next. The orders originally started from the front and then a second cabin crew member started to take then from the back. I was asked for my order from both and the second crew member found it surprising that someone else was taking the orders.

Scone was average, with really no reason to add in ginger. Clotted cream came in a pre-packed pot with a foil lid, unlike all previous flights. There was not must of the cream and it was very watery and looked and tasted cheap. The trays were being taken away when another crew member brought round the cakes that had been standing on the bar.

Shortly after the fruit that had been on the bar was brought round and then put away with the rest of the bar over an hour left of the flight.

Bar & Drinks Service

I was very amazed at the lack of drinks service on-board the flight. The bar, although looking lovely with its platinum panels had no water, juices and minimal snacks - only one small fruit bowl and a basket of mixed nuts. No crisps or chocolates were available. Service was slow and inattentive. There was a constant throng of people who were not in Upper Class (definitely were crew sat behind and allowed up at the bar) hanging around the bar and making a very loud noise indeed. The FSM was making the most noise gossiping to his colleagues. Luckily I did not want to sleep but my companion did and found this impossible even though we were seated at the front of the plane.

Further more several glasses of champagne were filled and drunk by crew in premium economy and economy.

About an hour before landing the seatbelt sign was switched on, it was on for about ten minutes with no announcement. Someone called the crew in the front galley and with no attempt to lower his voice one of the cabin crew said oh I didnt even realise it was on he then decided to check the cabin for seatbelts.

All in all check-in good, clubhouse great, boarding, crew and food bad. Dreading the return flight and need to find a new airline.

Edited - preiffer : removed name as per T's & C's
#314500 by Nottingham Nick
03 Oct 2005, 22:55
ade99

Thanks for taking the time to write the long, and quite depressing TR.
You observations seem to include all of the negative points that have been written about the UC product recently.. all in one flight!!

Have you written to VS about your experiences? A copy of the TR pasted into a letter would sum it all up.

Hope the return is better.

Nick
#314502 by nmurrell
03 Oct 2005, 22:57
great report all these negative reports most of them about the food and service, we are getting very nervous about our first flight in uc soon to orlando.v

Edited - preiffer : please do not quote entire trip reports in replies.
#314504 by buns
03 Oct 2005, 23:04
ade99

Thanks for the comprehensive TR[y][y]

Regretably (not on your account) your TR does not make good reading - the standard of service you received falls far beyond what most would expect as being acceptable[:(][:(]

I can only hope your stay in MCO helps you recover and that your return is far more enjoyable
#314508 by AlanA
03 Oct 2005, 23:22
Oh dear,
this is not good at all.
We are flying UC in November and I have put off booking for next year until after that flight now. If the service is that bad, I am afraid I will let my wallet do the walking to another airline. I pay for my flights personally and if UC is turning into a bad economy service, that's me off. [8)]
#314520 by kkempton
04 Oct 2005, 00:25
This report seemed way too negative.
The IFE from LGW is poor, and to get Odyseey is quiote lucky really, and also to have it working was a godsend.
May i suggest flying TCD? Then you will realise how good VS is! [:D]
#314521 by Decker
04 Oct 2005, 00:41
Ade99

So sorry that the trip didn't meet expectations but regretfully as you were both involved in the trip the report can't be said to be objective. For example 'So called Freedom Menu'... actually that WAS a freedom menu and you could choose to eat when you liked. The menu might not have been to your tastes but that doesn't stop it being a Freedom menu.

It always hurts when people don't get a perfect service on VS. Whilst we don't consider ourselves VS apologists we are VS fans. In this case it really sounds as though the biggest downer was crew abusing their privilege of staff travel and too egalitarian crew views. This is something that VS can easily address (unlike catering which involves outsiders) so I hope that any VS people watching can spot a slight trend here and move to address it.

Given the number or recent positive reviews it's a shame that you drew a short straw - especially on a Gold qualifying flight. [:(]
#314523 by Scrooge
04 Oct 2005, 00:52
Originally posted by kkempton
The IFE from LGW is poor, and to get Odyseey is quiote lucky really, and also to have it working was a godsend.

Adrian
Oh lord what a bad flight,a letter to VS would be a good idea,the responce may or may not be to your liking..

Kevin

Think what a flight on TCD would cost compared to 2 UC tickets..the old saying'you get what you pay for' might not apply in this case.
#314524 by mike-smashing
04 Oct 2005, 01:04

But, the OP was clear about how the flight didn't meet their expectations.

Upper is supposed to be a high-quality premium service, but apart from the bed, it's turning into an embarassment, characterised by inconsistent (sometimes amateurish) service, dirty planes, and dire, stingy-looking food selections - which are then disguised by extras and gimmicks (swishy Clubhouses and IFBTs).

Don't know what it is about Virgin's travel companies and food/onboard service, because it's not just VS.

Came back from Glasgow in First Class on Virgin Trains last week. Sleek, shiny and swishy train but the food served, while complimentary, was simply appalling. The Scottish-based crew from Glasgow to Preston were nice enough, but the crew from Preston to London (London-based) obviously couldn't care less.

I was travelling across a meal time (from 5pm to 10pm - plus getting home at the far end), and there was no restaurant service on the train at all. Just some tiny mini-pizza things and a bit of salad. I could have gone to 'The Onboard Shop' and buy something which they would reheat in the microwave, if I wanted anything more substantial (read: a bacon roll or soggy cheeseburger).

I found Virgin's offering really lame compared to the full restaurant car and at seat service on GNER out of Edinburgh - okay not everything is complimentary on GNER, but I don't mind paying a bit extra for what they have on offer.

Like I say, not exactly sure what Virgin's problem is with food on the move. I went to a party held at the Roof Gardens (Branson's private club) a couple of months back, and the barbeque provided there was first rate, and we were just treated so well. Maybe the kitchen team at the Roof Gardens should help plan the menus for the airline and the trains?

SRB really needs to wake up, smell the coffee and take an interest in his businesses, as this sort of thing is devaluing the Virgin brand.

Cheers,
Mike
#314526 by mike-smashing
04 Oct 2005, 01:34
Originally posted by Decker
For example 'So called Freedom Menu'... actually that WAS a freedom menu and you could choose to eat when you liked. The menu might not have been to your tastes but that doesn't stop it being a Freedom menu.

But, be honest Decker, the current Freedom Menu really is a shadow of what it used to be about 2 years ago: 3x Appetiser Choices, 4x Main Meal Choices, and usually at least one lighter 'snacky' choice (like a steak sandwich).

We're now down to 2x Appetisers, and 3x Mains (one of which is lacto-ovo veggie), and no snacky items - except for the longest sectors.

Don't forget the apparent move to pre-packed stuff (like the butter and clotted cream), salt and pepper in sachets, stingy crisp selections, bland fruit bowls and the beer choice being Stella, Stella, or Stella.

Someone obviously thought that us pax are too stupid to notice.

Sure, a good crew makes up for it, but when you get lousy food and a flaky crew, that adds up to a pretty rubbish experience.

Cheers,
Mike
#314531 by ade99
04 Oct 2005, 05:28

Kevin - yeh perhaps we were lucky that the IFE was working, but then again when we paid nearly 5K for a premium product I could really do without luck being an important factor in having a good flight.

Perhaps you're right and we should have flown TCD, with the price we paid we probably could have had the entire upper deck to ourselves and probably the flight wouldn;t have been so negative [:)]

The other half has already emailed VS, and for someone who normally sees the best in everything for him to turn round and say he never wants to fly VS again it was definitely a negative experience.
#314535 by Decker
04 Oct 2005, 08:53
Mike - I don't disagree that choice is being cut down, but again (and I accept this is entirely subjective) to me 'Freedom' is freedom to choose when I eat my own selection of the food on offer - not freedom to have a large selection to choose from. I'm not a fan of the cuts - I just don't weight my flights as heavily on the food as some people seem to.
#314537 by dinodog
04 Oct 2005, 09:02
Sounds a complete nightmare, there is no argument for that level of service, it is thoroughly unprofessional and smacks of a lack of management ability by the FSM.

I have flown with virgin for years and I have noticed recently that they consistently under perform. We had the Òdon't take any notice of the in-flight entertainment guide, it's out of dateÓ on our return from MCO in September, the way it was explained was unbelievably amateurish.
#314575 by mike-smashing
04 Oct 2005, 14:39
Originally posted by Decker
Mike - I don't disagree that choice is being cut down, but again (and I accept this is entirely subjective) to me 'Freedom' is freedom to choose when I eat my own selection of the food on offer - not freedom to have a large selection to choose from. I'm not a fan of the cuts - I just don't weight my flights as heavily on the food as some people seem to.

To me, 'Freedom' was the wider choice of menu items when compared to other airlines. I could choose a light snack, rather than a full meal, as well as choose to eat it when I wanted. That was a key thing which set VS apart for me.

I guess we each have our own ideas of what 'Freedom' means.

To be honest, most halfway decent longhaul carriers J/C products will allow an element of flexibility in mealtimes these days, I find.

Cheers,
Mike
#314599 by JO5H777
04 Oct 2005, 17:30
thnx for the TR we need more long one's like these however hopefully good ones, shame about your bad experience.
#314610 by Jimmy Mc
04 Oct 2005, 17:56
great report all these negative reports most of them about the food and service, we are getting very nervous about our first flight in uc soon to orlando.

I agree - our 1st flight in UCS to MCO is not until next year, and given that its for the honeymoon I would be concerned that a flight/service that they experienced would take a real shine off what is supposed to be a special event.

I think we all await the return flight TR with anticipation.
#314633 by mike-smashing
04 Oct 2005, 20:43
Originally posted by ChuckC
combined with a public catfight with Gate Gourmet, its caterer, has had to have a negative effect on the inflight experience.

VS changed it's caterer at the London end, they left GateGourmet back in June/July time, and now use LSG Skychefs.

It was hope that this would improve things, but that remains to be seen.

Cheers,
Mikie
#314655 by David_Doyle
04 Oct 2005, 22:23
ade99, this trip report made very depressing reading and I am sorry for you both.

I'm sure many people on this board will have had flights where 1 or 2 areas were not up to scratch but for you to have so many gripes is sad and I hope that you make representations to VS about this and that some good may come of it - and by that I don't mean a standard 'boilerplate' reply and 10k miles compensation.

All of the flights I've had with Virgin (12+ now) have ranged from great - fantastic. People can accept a couple of issues - not everything can be perfect - but loyalties can be tested and I don't blame you for being angry. Anything where a level of expected service is not delivered undermines the perception of that provider and Virgin must appreciate the general criticism of some of the areas highlighted in recent trip reports ( many by long serving members of this board and very good Virgin customers )

Although I think if you want fantastic food only you're better off saving the price of UC over PE and having a fabulous afternoon in a great restaurant instead - serving small portions of rubbish, cold, inedible food in Virgin's top-level cabin is simply unacceptable.

Hoping for better news in the return trip, [:)] and that this was an extremely unfortunate episode not to be repeated.

David.
#314724 by mike-smashing
05 Oct 2005, 11:14
Originally posted by ade99
The other half has already emailed VS, and for someone who normally sees the best in everything for him to turn round and say he never wants to fly VS again it was definitely a negative experience.

Good stuff, they can't do anything if we don't tell them, so hopefully they will at least take note of your comments - rather than 'sorry, here's some bonus miles'.

Do let us know what you hear back.

Cheers,
Mike
#314746 by southernbelle
05 Oct 2005, 13:35
Hi Ade,

As a Virgin crew member I am absolutely horrified to read your trip report. The quality of food and IFE is beyond the crews control however manners and personality and just general good old fashioned service is not. I am really sorry that you had such a dreadful start to your holiday.

I would echo the previous posters comments, a link to this trip report, forwarded to customer relations would certainly not go amiss. The FSM concerned would be contacted. I am sure it would certainly make him smarten up his act and whilst it may not remedy your situation it would prevent someone else from having a similar experience to yours.

FSM's are meant to do a walkround in J as you are aware. Unfortunately sometimes it is not possible to get round to everyone when there are 45 onboard unless we start waking people up. Personally I endeavour to get to say hi to everyone and then into premium too if time permits. As you rightly say, 14 passengers there is no excuse. The CSS should have been ensuring his/her crew were not drinking out of water bottles like that, a big no no. As managers onboard we should be encouraging our crew to make sure your flight with us is as enjoyable and memorable (for the right reasons) as possible. I am so shocked that yours went so horribly wrong.

Please let us know how you got on with customer relations, I will be interested to hear their response. Meanwhile I hope you have a wonderful holiday and your flight home is far more special.

Best Wishes
#314750 by ChuckC
05 Oct 2005, 14:29
Southernbelle,
Thanks very much for your comments. It surely makes sense that the FSM would hear about the pax dissatisfaction. As you know, there has been much discussion here about whether VS is really listening to its pax concerns, particularly over food and service issues.

Thank you again.

Chuck-
#314803 by mike-smashing
05 Oct 2005, 19:50
Originally posted by southernbelle
The quality of food and IFE is beyond the crews control

But, I think you'll agree Southernbelle, the presentation of the food on the aircraft, no matter what state the raw materials came in, is down to the crew, and specifically the galley operator, right?

I've noticed differences in the same ex-LHR menu, which I put down to the galley operator on the day.

I wonder if VS would contemplate carrying an in-flight chef (like on BMI), rather than deploying one of the crew as a galley operator? Would be a nice touch, and useful marketing selling point as well.

Cheers,
Mike
#314810 by southernbelle
05 Oct 2005, 21:06
Mike I agree, the presentation of the food is down to the crew but the quality is not. We are simply given cooking times and presentation guidelines. The rest is down to the catering suppliers. As discussed on previous threads, some main entrees work better than others but I am sure Ade may well have overlooked the poor quality of catering had he recieved a good service. As cabin crew I am embarrassed that this did not happen. There is no excuse for bad service and this needs to be addressed with the crew concerned.
#314855 by iforres1
06 Oct 2005, 00:02
Ade,

Thanks for the detailed TR even though it was a horrible experience in this instance. Only by reporting these things will hopefully VS take notice.

Thanks Southernbelle for your honest comments[y].

I'm out of LGW on the 4th Nov to LAS so will be able to comment.

Iain
#316648 by ade99
20 Oct 2005, 19:32
Well the other half just got his letter back from SRB's office and he's not too happy. Have to say it seems that the specific problems have just been glassed over and the letter looks more like a PR letter. Wonder what response others have had and what they think of this one, I have to say this really was a crap flight and this just tops it off:

Dear Dr Hutchison

I am extremely sorry to learn of your overall dissatisfaction with
certain aspects of our service on your most recent flight to Orlando and would like to offer our genuine apologies for any disappointment caused.

It is always our intention to deliver a memorable and enjoyable
experience for all our passengers and we are constantly striving to
ensure that our passengers always receive the service they deserve.

As an airline that is proud of a reputation for excellent service, I am sure you will appreciate that we have nothing to gain by over selling and under delivering. Much of our success has been due to the loyalty and frequency of travel by our regular customers, in all classes of service.

Our Upper Class business is a vital part of our market and in no way do we wish to compromise the quality of service we have enjoyed providing and our customers have grown to expect. We strive to offer the most innovative ideas in airline travel and plan to do all possible to improve, enhance and maintain the high standard of service and customer care for which we have become renowned.

Whilst the vast majority of feedback we receive tells us that our
service standards are generally being achieved, we are certainly not
complacent on any issue brought to our attention. In this respect, the comments and observations you have made will be taken up with the
relevant departmental managers, who will address the areas where
standards require attention.

In closing, Dr Hutchison, may I reassure you that the goodwill of our
passengers is of the utmost importance and we fully understand that our popularity depends on pleasing our customers. We are also aware that the continued return business of satisfied customers is a key factor to the growth and success of the airline.

We do value your loyalty and continued support of Virgin Atlantic and
the flying club and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you on
board again soon when I have every confidence you will experience an
enjoyable flight in every respect.

Yours sincerely

xxxx
Executive Assistant to Richard Branson
Virgin Atlantic