Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238245 by csparker
05 Oct 2005, 03:00
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Limo arrives at home 15 mins early. I make him wit while I finish some domestic jobs (Mrs csparker will be happy with me). Not a jot of traffic problems, and Im at LHR in just over the hour. Drive through is clear, and Im dropped off in no time. Fast Track security is empty (its about 1.30pm), but we are directed to other end of the security hall for passport control which consists of a woman looking at the cover of my passport (I dont recall her opening it, let alone reading the code into the PC in front of her). Delivered out into the DF shop BAAs little marketing trick, but head straight for the lounge.

Its my first time in the new lounge. First impressions are OK a lot smaller than the old one, with more space taken up by amenities, and less sitting / eating area. I guess this will improve once the open the merged side. Check bags and coat (this is good I was never entirely happy with the left luggage area of the old CH. Book a shave, and have Tuscan Bean Soup and sushi for lunch. Not too bad. The Deli bar should be good freshly made sandwiches etc. Lots of VS staff (possibly ground / apron staff as some have fluorescent vests on) are being shown the lounge. This makes the throughput of bodies seem very high. Much of this flow would have been swallowed easily in the old CH.

Shave is OK, but I tend to do better on the awkward areas. No-one is in the spa pool. Minor accident with a cracked bottle of water (there are some, and yoghurts in a chiller that you can grab) and the Sports section of the Telegraph and were called to gate 26. Gate is busy, with no sign for a priority line. Take a phone call in the gate and miss UC boarding. Bridge is full of people, so it is a long wait to get onto XLG Ruby Tuesday. Sit in 12K great I can watch the IFBT at work.

Boarding and take off are fine, and the light is off quickly. IFE takes a while to come on, and the Sky News is a pain (as always). Watch Mr and Mrs Smith a good flight movie (I like a bit of dumb violence). Dinner order taken. Choice of asparagus soup or gravadlax salad to start, chicken, steak or veg lasagne for mains. I have the salad and lasagne. No S&M on the menu (insert you own jokes here) they must have been listening! Change habits and listen to the Q Channel of VFM not too bad. Also watch some Vpop, though Top Gear is 11 months old (they are all wearing poppies). Couldnt they find a newer programme to show?

Apart from a couple of bumpy spells, ice cream and fairly attentive service, the rest of the flight passes quietly just what I need as I had booked this time in order to have a relaxing day. With about an hour to go, the IFBT calls me for a shoulder rub. Very good. Pilot makes the start of descent announcement just as the massage finishes and we land at EWR about 6pm local time, 40 mins ahead of schedule. Immigration hall is empty and I sail through with a friendly INS agent. Short wait for a limo while my driver takes a comfort break and were efficiently through to my midtown hotel.

Overall, good to see the lounge, which was very well staffed. Service was generally good. This was a good flight.
#314715 by NYCFlyer
05 Oct 2005, 09:12
Thanks for the TR.

The shave is a nice way to start off though I agree it wasn't close enough for my liking. I did feel very strange arriving at LHR totally unshaven though!

Graham
#314809 by buns
05 Oct 2005, 20:51
CS

Thanks for an excellent TR[y][y]

Given the recent spate of less than complementary expereinces in UC, your TR is a refreshing change[;)]

I can't wait to see the new CH - only 4 weeks to go!!