Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238280 by jmf
07 Oct 2005, 01:15
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Having arrived on the flight from ATL at 2.30ish I had plenty of time to hang around. I have to say I quite like MCO - it's nice and bright, plenty of light, it's a very pleasant airport to transit through.

Before I get to the flight part of my TR as a VS virgin, I have to say I've been impressed and will definately consider this route for my future paying flights. Given the way that Delta is treating Mobile and considerably reducing the number of flights on the MOB - ATL - MOB route, then I'm going to have to start to look for alternatives. PNS is only an hour away and seems to be a much better served airport, I'm guessing this is due to the naval base - can't think of any other reason for it being much better served than MOB. I've looked at flights for the next time I'm hoping to travel in Feb/Mar (Mardi Gras - woo hoo!) and because DL have reduced the frequency for ATL/MOB to only 3 return flights a day, there is no way with the connecting MAN - ATL flight that I can get to MOB on the same day. DL65 arrives at 16.05 and the last MOB leaves ATL at 16.34. So if I'm going to have to go to PNS might might as well transit through a nice airport and if I've got the choice between ATL or MCO - it's not a difficult choice [:D]

Anyway rant over, back to the TR [;)] Once off the ATL flight first stop is the Duty Free, I have to say that I'm a big fan of the way US airports deal with this - I'm more than happy not to have to cart it round the airport myself. Having said that some airports handle this better than others and once again it's a plus point at MCO. That task over with off to Outback for some food, went for a burger this time and then I headed to gate 81 (or was it 82). Having been pleasantly surprised by the free wireless access when I was waiting for my outward flight to ATL a few weeks earlier I was looking forward to firing up the iBook and keeping in touch with the football scores that night (I'm unfortunate enough to be an Evertonian so being a glutton for punishment wanted to keep an eye on what was happening at Goodison that night). Unfortunately there's no access to the free wireless at the VS gate ... so off I went to gate 71 where I new I'd have more luck [:D]

Got back to the gate at around 4.30 and I think the gate staff arrived shortly after (could have been nearer 5pm though). Because I had come from an internal flight, I had to be asked the security questions by one of the VS security staff and have the little sticker put on the back of my passport ... so once again I had to go to the gate. I didn't bother trying to get my original seat assignment of 57C changed as I figured by this point if I moved anywhere else then in all likelihood I'd end up on a full row as everyone else had now checked in. Being at the back once those upstairs and at the very front had boarded, I was on and settled quite quickly. I then spent the next half an hour or so wondering whether I'd be as lucky as I was on the way out and end up with the row to myself ... and indeed I was, lucky me (if only Everton had my luck ....).

This time there were no amenity packs in the seat pockets, they were handed out along with the headphones ...and they've shrunk! Or are they always smaller on the way back? After my experience on the way out, I'd stocked up on plenty of water this time, so I didn't have to try and keep an eye out for any juice and water runs during the night. I'm a really bad flyer on the return transatlantic journey, I find it impossible to sleep, it wouldn't matter how tired I am, it just doesn't happen, ever! Who the heck can sleep sitting up? Not me that's for sure - if I do fly VS again, I'm definately going for UC on the return journey! I hoped that I'd at least be able to doze given that I'd be able to lie down - I managed this on the way to MCO so couldn't see any reason I wouldn't on the return.

Once we were airborn, out came the trolleys for the drink run and after that food - choices this time were Beef, Salmon or Vegetable Canneloni - I went for Beef. Wish I'd chosen this on the way out as I was much better than the Mushroom Risotto. Just one small gripe - if you're going to give me a plastic knife that is about as much use as a chocolate spoon then how about chopping up the beef into smaller pieces [:D].

After the trays were collected I settle back and tried to watch Miss Congeniality 2, but got very bored with that and decided to try for a doze. This flight has to have been one of the worst I've had for turbulence, it was horrendous! From south of the New York area to well passed Goose Bay / Gander it was non-stop. Maybe it just felt worse being right at the back, however I'm sure that I've never experience the constant bumpiness for quite that long. You normally get the odd patch, but this went on for quite some time. As is fairly obvious from my knowing where we were, the airshow was working on this flight unlike the outbound one (I was able to check which plane was used when we got on the bus at MAN and it was Virgina Plain). Given the rollercoaster like nature of this flight the most I got was a couple of hours dozing.

As we were making our descent, the pilot (or FO - it's 6am who knows!! I'm not really a morning person) came on to advise us of the remainder of our route part of which just happened to be over Wallasey where I live, so I made a mental note to listen out for it next week when I getting up for work in the morning [;)].

We arrived in MAN at 6.40 and because we were so early we were allocated a remote stand. This also meant a long wait. The buses were all ready for us because again due to our early arrival, the stairs were still being used on another flight that was running late! I took my time on the long walk to passport control and the baggage carousel. There's no point rushing, I hate having to deal with that scrum around the carousel with everyone jammed right up against like it's the end of the world if you don't spot your case the moment it appears. Why do people do that? They all crowd round leaving you absolutely no gap to get to your case without almost knee-capping someone when you lift it off. I usually go and freshen up and then sit back for a bit until things clear. Once I picked up my cases, the scrum had moved to the customs gate. I've never seen such a huge crowd waiting to get through before - I'm used to arriving slightly later when it seems that things have quietened down.

So that's it, all done for now. I've already signed up for FC membership and I'm looking forward to my next trip on VS. It might well be in Feb, although since that's only for a short trip even though I did rather slate DL at the start of this post, the price could win out. I'm only going for a week and their price to PNS beats VS to just MCO, I'd have the MCO - PNS leg on top of that. I might just wait until my longer trip next Sept/Oct and treat myself to Y outward and UC return [:D]