Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238286 by jj62
07 Oct 2005, 13:00
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Took a long time to get round to this but here goes, my first trip report [:)]

This was part of a family trip to California back in March.
It was a belated return to flying Virgin as our last trip to the USA was before we started a family back in 1992. With our kids now old enough to really appreciate a big trip across the pond, we decided to once again fly Virgin as we had been so impressed on our two previous trips (1990 & 1992 - both LHR - LAX). Would the experience live up to our expectation?....

Starting with check in, we arrived deliberately early as the kids were so excited about the trip. So it was that at just gone 7am we entered terminal 3 and found our way to the check in. As you might expect some 5 hours before departure, there were only a handful of people in front of us and we were checked in and away within ten minutes [:)]

Off to get some breakfast, which at over 30 for the 4 of us was,
if I'm honest, some of the worst food any of us have ever been served...

That aside we took our time and wandered through security and into departures. Thought it would seem a long wait in the departure lounge, but it flew by (excuse the pun). When the time came to make our way to the gate, boarding was just starting. The Virgin staff at the gate were friendly and almost apologetic about the time taken to move people through. This was mainly due to the extra security screening that went on. Quite a few people were selected (including my wife and I) to have hand luggage and shoes/coats etc checked.
No big deal, just something that has changed I guess since 9/11. In a way it's quite reassuring to see that at least an effort is still being made!.

Once through, the kids were handed their children's packs - excellent Virgin, nice touch! and we boarded the 747 which turned out to be Ruby Tuesday (shame no V:port - but the Odyssey system was still good).

Sat in Row 56 DEFG and the seats seemed ok, legroom was what you expect in economy. Pushed back on time but had a short delay whilst we waited in a queue to take off. Once airborne we settled back and the flight attendants started the rounds. I have to say at this point it is quite easy to remember things with a rose tinted aspect, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the quality of service from the crew who were looking after us seemed just as good as all those years ago. One of the flight attendants even took the time to have a quick chat with my daughters about LA and how much fun they would have - again a nice touch!

Food was a little better than I have had on other airlines, and in comparison to the 30 breakfast served up in the terminal was almost deserving of an Egon Ronay star! [:)]

We settled back and watched a couple of films - Kids were ecstatic as the Spongebob Squarepants movie was showing (have to admit that I watched it with them and laughed a few times as well). Few more drinks, then a doze, then a bit of reading and before I knew it we were starting our descent into LA.

Immigration was amusing, they must be trained in how to leave all traces of personality at home. After around 30 minutes in the line we were suitably fingerprinted and photographed we made our way through to arrivals. Within two and a half hours of touchdown we found ourselves checking in at the Hilton Garden Inn in Anaheim - Great hotel if anybody is looking for a spot close enough to Disney - but not next door.

The rest of our fly drive took in the Grand Canyon, Vegas , Yosemite and finally San Francisco where we flew out of.

All in all, Virgin made the start to our holiday a very enjoyable one. Would we pay that little bit more than some of the other carriers (IE: Air New Zealand) and use Virgin again?.....

Hell yes, we're back to LA next July and can't wait - This time looks like a 346 instead of a 747 which will be a new experience for me.
#315063 by Scrooge
07 Oct 2005, 13:30
Happy to hear you and the family had a good flight and trip.Vs is one of the best when it comes to taking care of the little ones.

Just a little note on the immagration guys,it's not that they are robots,but they've heard everything at least 10 times,once you get to know them or more like they get to know you they are just your normal fun people..even made friends with one when after a drunked night in TJ it dawned on me that I had left my greencard at my friends house.
#315106 by sunny
07 Oct 2005, 17:46
On the Air New Zealand front,I'm not completely sure but don't they offer 34ins seat pitch in economy as opposed to VS 31? I'm guessing that on a flight that long it could make a comfortable difference.
#315114 by Scrooge
07 Oct 2005, 18:46
Originally posted by sunny
On the Air New Zealand front,I'm not completely sure but don't they offer 34ins seat pitch in economy as opposed to VS 31? I'm guessing that on a flight that long it could make a comfortable difference.

that would be correct and once the aircraft are refitted they will offer AVOD,also you would still earn miles and TP's.
#315117 by Nottingham Nick
07 Oct 2005, 19:07
Thanks for the TR jj62 [y]

Another one for the Y section, to help redress the perceived UC bias [8D][:D]

I take it your duff breakfast was in the T3 'food court',[xx(] as you ate prior to passing through security.

Nick
#315771 by Littlejohn
13 Oct 2005, 17:09
Thanks for the TR.
Would we pay that little bit more than some of the other carriers (IE: Air New Zealand) and use Virgin again?.....

Hell yes,
which I think says it all - and good to see.
Virgin Atlantic