Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238340 by Jonathan S
11 Oct 2005, 00:06
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Arrived 15 minutes after check-in closed to be welcomed with 'Mr XXX, this way please' - did I tell you my name was Mr XXX? It's a nightmare with signatures. Impressive. Especially as 30 minutes prior I'd been running through the streets of Mumbai in a wool suit in 38 degrees trying to find my cab - which had all my luggage in. Not good.

Straight through Immigration and to departures, no time for the lounge.

Boarded, 5C. Nightmare seat next to bar. No hello until after climb, although my suit jacket was hung as I changed into my SS pre taxi.

Belts off, and drink ordered. Took another 15 minutes to arrive, which isn't great if you're in 5C watching everyone elses go out!

Food ordered. IFE on. IFE off. And on. This was VAEL I think, the oldest A343. And it was a bit crap. IFE failed, so onto DVD's.

Food arrived. Dreadful. Soup to start. A bit phlegm-y. No garlic bread and no little 747 cruets. But the FSM, who was brilliant did do the rounds.

Main course, pie. With a 'syrup' like gravy. Not good.

Then desert, ice cream. Key ingredient, liquid nitrogen. I swear to god if I had hit it with a hammer it would have shattered. Would it really be too much to think 'if we let this defrost in the galley for 10 minutes the pax will be really happy'.

Then, no cheese. All gone. 'Mis-catered'. Not good.

No offer of coffee.

An hour later tubs of ice-cream offered in UC - is this new? Tasted of petrol

I know you're all thinking I'm a minnie-moaner... but it's out of love and desperation. I want it to be right. And when it's this wrong it really hurts.

Sleep for a little while (this flight is LONG). Wake up to loud group of people round bar. Apparently VS is recruiting in BOM and was flying back staff for training, they were all around the bar mid-flight, again when most people are sleeping, getting a briefing. Again, initiative - is it too much to think about the impact this has on resting passengers?

Coupled with about an hour later, part of this group, who made no secret of the fact that they were VS staff - ticketed in Upper at the bar discussing the ups and downs of VS and talking about how they'd been 'bollocked' by Richard. Nice. And odd things about Steve Ridgeway. I won't share the rest. But it was so innappropiate, words failed me.

At this point I went to speak with the FSM (who was brilliant) she was shocked and had a word.

You know when you get to that point where you think 'nothing can now fix this' - that was it.

Duty free order forgotten, then mixed up.

Sat at bar and colleague got me out of my funk and we had a giggle (quietly). Had a remarkable pizza as a pre-landing snack.

Had good chat with FSM who apologised and said she'd log it. I filled in a form, and who knows.

Landed fine (short stack around LHR) and off home. Limo good.

I won't moan any more. I just needed closure on this. 5 years with VS. Gold. High spender. Not great.

In closing. QUALITY is all about CONSISTENCY, and I think VS are really letting themselves down and as a consequence, passengers.
#315415 by JAT74L
11 Oct 2005, 00:18
Hmm... The old 'C' word again.[V]

Thanks for the TR's.

Regards

John
#315620 by daisy
12 Oct 2005, 15:23
Hi Jonanthan - good trip report (but obviously NOT if you know what I mean!)

I so heartily agree - when you want something to be great and you look forward to something a so much it hurts like hell when all you do is feel let down and dissatisfied with the whole experience. So disappointing.

Consistency IS the key to repeat business. The idea that say, 1 flight in 3, meets your expectations is simply not good enough.

Trouble is, I don't have enough experience to compare to other J cabins (although planning BA trip next year) Will be interesting to compare the two.

Thanks again for the informative TR!
#315672 by Jonathan S
12 Oct 2005, 22:00
I did feel like a traitor writing the report I have to say.

I sent a note to VS and received a 'passing on to SRB's office'. So we'll see... to be honest a nice phonecall would probably have done it as for me as this isn't about miles.

Thinking of giving Jet a go next week - their aircraft A343 is leased from SAA and has flat beds and AVOD.

[edited as I'd included the word 'I'm' in the text for no apparent reason]
#315678 by Decker
12 Oct 2005, 22:27
No treason involved - the board is impartial and you were let down. Let's hope for a good response!
#315679 by Nottingham Nick
12 Oct 2005, 22:31
Thanks for the TR Jonathan.

I echo the comments about the C word, but the other persistent complaint in TRs is the behaviour of people travelling on staff tickets, be it allegations of unofficial upgrades or noise at the bar.

I have absolutely no problem with the 'perk' of staff tickets and the extension of this perk to family. I was talking recently to a former staff member from an unnamed (American) airline who told me about their staff travel. She told me that the rules for 'non rev' tickets were very, very strict. First of all they were on a standby basis, the staff member must be dressed smartly and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should they do anything to draw attention to themselves and the fact that they are 'staff'. She says the threat of immediate withdrawal of this 'perk' is always hanging over her.

Admittedly, this lady is retired and standards have changed in her time in the air industry, but IMHO VS could certainly do with imposing a little more discipline.
#315698 by southernbelle
12 Oct 2005, 23:54
Nick, just to clarify the rules for staff travel on vs are exactly the same as the ones you have mentioned. Possibly our dress code is not quite as strict but the basic principles are the same. Obviously certain staff members are not adhering to this. If this is becoming a regular occurence then it needs to be dealt with asap.
#315699 by preiffer
12 Oct 2005, 23:56
Originally posted by southernbelle
Nick, just to clarify the rules for staff travel on vs are exactly the same as the ones you have mentioned.
I remember hearing from a crewmember on one flight that the Upper/Premium/Economy option was linked to seniority/length of service with VS, too?
#315705 by Decker
13 Oct 2005, 00:24
I think it's 6 months to move out of Y. Southernbelle - this is becoming a frequently commented on thing of late (subjectively speaking). Perhaps someone ought to have a word [;)]
#315706 by southernbelle
13 Oct 2005, 00:28
Right I've been out for a curry with my best friend so forgive me if this sounds confused [:I]

After six months all employees get a space available upgrade to premium and after three years we then get upgrades to Upper which increase year to year. These (J Upgrades) are restricted to spouse/husband/wife/common law and immediate family. All other companions are eligible for space available premium upgrades.

Now, duty travel has J upgrades automatically assigned regardless of length of service....I think and am almost certain of this. So therefore if someone has just joined the company in Bombay but has to attend a course in London, they would have a space available J upgrade on their ticket. I must stress though I possibly have this wrong and after however many Cobra beers I am not really sure why I am posting [:I] [:I] [:I]

Needless to say the staff travel rules are introduced to all staff very early on in their career in Virgin, unfortunately it seems, some have abused this.

I think I need the sofa [;)]
#315707 by Decker
13 Oct 2005, 00:32
Makes sense here :) Trust it was a good curry. Could use one now - coming down with a cold and it would really clear the pipes!

Sleep well!
#315708 by preiffer
13 Oct 2005, 00:34
Originally posted by Decker
...coming down with a cold and it would really clear the pipes!
Which ones?!? [:0][:p][}:)]

Sorry, I'll get my coat...
#315711 by Decker
13 Oct 2005, 00:43
the impact would be subtly different without the middle emoticon [}:)][;)]
#315752 by Littlejohn
13 Oct 2005, 14:06
Thanks for the TR. What a shame the flight did not live up to your expectations.

I noticed it was VAEL you were traveling on. I had a chat with the FSM on a flight from PVG on VAEL when, wait for it, the IFE failed. It appears that it is affectionately known by the staff as G-VIAL, because the IFE is always going wrong, its scruffy and they are generally embarrased by it almost whenever they fly it. Unfortunately this seems to tie up with your experience. OT, but the FSM in my case was just great.

Decker, sorry to hear about the cold - you didn't sneeze in Jonathan's phlegm-y soup did you[;)]

SOUTHERNBELLE - HOW'S THE HEAD THIS MORNING![}:)]
#315767 by Jonathan S
13 Oct 2005, 16:25
My life's goal is now to see phlegm-y in the OED next year.
#315770 by fozzyo
13 Oct 2005, 17:06
Thanks for the TR Jonathan. Shame it was such a bad flight!

Have to say our recent two UC flights (LHR->SFO and MCO->LGW) were quite the opposite of yours, really good. TR's are following!

Thanks for detailing the staff travel thingy wossits Southerbelle, good to know. And its a shame that there are some who seem to let the side down for everyone else. [:(]

Mat xxx
#315810 by Jonathan S
13 Oct 2005, 23:27
Is there a forum error happening? I keep getting emails saying mcuth/mitchja has replied to this thread. But I don't see no reply... weird.

Or am I going mad?
Virgin Atlantic