Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238461 by papadoc
16 Oct 2005, 17:39
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
VS001, LHR TO EWR, 29TH SEPT 2005. (Economy)

An early 6am start from West Wales for the journey to LHR for our 16:00 flight to EWR. After a fairly smooth journey up the M4, and a couple of refreshment breaks and dropping the car off, we were in T3 at about 12:00. I had used OLCI the night before so preceded to the bag drop off desk. When we got to the desk that we were directed to the agent informed us that it was for DIY check in only and not OLCI, but after a few sighs, she did check us in!

Wandered around T3 for a while whilst waiting to find out what gate we would have, and it finally came up as either 34 or 35 (sorry, the memory is starting to slip!!). Mustang Sally was waiting for us and we boarded and took our seats (60 A, B and C) and settled down for the flight. We left the gate about 20mins or so late, but we were soon up and on our way.

About 30mins in to the flight the crew came around with drinks, V:Port was started, and then shortly after they came around with the dinner service. I chose the Chicken and Pasta option which was quite tasty, and we also had the usual salad, a yumbo dessert, cheese and crackers and a proper bottle of water.

The flight itself was pretty smooth, although we did encounter one batch of prolonged and heavy turbulence. The crew throughout were very efficient and friendly, and came around with a couple of water rounds and a bar of chocolate. Shortly before landing we were served tea, which was a pretty tasteless Caesar Chicken roll, and a piece of chocolate cake.

Soon after tea it was time to land, and we touched down at 18:50, a few minutes late. We got through immigration fairly quickly, and our bags were already on the carousel when we got there, so it was of to get a taxi for the trip to our hotel, The Milford Plaza.

Thanks Virgin for another smooth flight.

{edited - preiffer : changed title to standard format}
#316176 by DavidM
16 Oct 2005, 19:57
Thanks for the TR, Richard. Coming from St David's, did you have the experience of seeing it below you 15 or 20 minutes after departing Heathrow? Having lived just beyond Newgale Beach for a while, 5 or 6 years ago, it used to amuse me (not!) to spend 4 hours on the road before doing the reverse journey in a fraction of the time. I guess the time to get anywhere is just the price you have to pay to live in such a beautiful area. C'est la vie!

Best wishes

David
#316181 by papadoc
16 Oct 2005, 21:25
Hi David

We were a bit further south on this flight, but did fly over and see St Davids on the way back from SFO. We also flew over Rosslare just as the Fishguard ferry was leaving, which upset on of my mates who was travelling with me, as he works on it, and didn't want to see it any sooner than he had too!

You're right about the traveling time, 15 to 20 mins to get to LHR from St Davids with VS, 5 hours to get back via the M4!
#316196 by honey lamb
16 Oct 2005, 22:38
We also flew over Rosslare just as the Fishguard ferry was leaving

If you flew over Rosslare, you would have flown over my house about 15 minutes later. I would have waved at you had I known - except I was at work!