Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238479 by csparker
17 Oct 2005, 14:18
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Rather than spouting on, I'll make a few observations this time...

Limo pick up in Queens (a change from Mahnhattan) worked better than expected and we made it to JFK in about half an hour. Driver was good company - claims that he has told many VS pax to bet on Englnad to win the ashes, and that he will be doing similar for the world cup next year.

Check in was fine and I had my reserved 2k on a 744. When I had called to re-arrange this flight, I had been offered 15k 'in the snooze zone'. Not sure which aircraft has a 15k in snooze, but I'm glad the agent had looked again.

Lounge got busier as the VS046 crowd came in. Had a pretty good steak, with cheese to follow. Drinks service very attentive, which was nice. Tannoy announced 30k miles for a bump to a later flight - VS004 was overbooked (again). 30k was less than I had got a year or so ago...

Called before 7pm, had to wait for a toilet to free up before leaving the clubhouse. They really need more! Security was less of a jungle than I had seen at other times, and I did not have too long to wait.

Boarded - UC was full. Champagne delivered, post take off drinks order taken (I like this touch - means you can get full value out of snooze but still have a nightcap). Pushed back on time (1930) but then taxied very slowly for 75 mins - traffic was backed up due to the NY weather. Such a delay plus the champagnes (plural) before push back put a real strain on the bladder (and yes Mum, I did go before I left the lounge).

Lights out pretty soon third glass o' bubbly, seat back and down. Dozed pretty well and woke up about 60 mins before we were due to land. Straight onto a stand at the end of the T3 pier.

Went to arrivals and was offered a V Touch treatment on arrival - I think VS have seen that they need to push this service more (I guess if this drive doesn't work, it may be cut soon). Declined as I wanted to get away (and have my own shave!). Limo driver on time, and reasonably fast, despite missing a turn on the A130. I also don't trust Tristar's sat nav on the best way to get from the M25 to Rayleigh (SE Essex) - the system recommends A12, A130. I would used A127 only. Wierd...
#316249 by ChuckC
17 Oct 2005, 14:25
Christopher,
A good read, as always. JFK took delays for all of last week with the storms hovering overhead. It is not a good airport in foul weather, particularly if arrivals and departures must be confined to one runway.

Best,
Chuck-
#316285 by csparker
17 Oct 2005, 20:27
Just forgot. The guy in 1k was asked to not use his PDA. The FA noticed that it had a flashing light and was therefore transmitting. The guy said it was Bluetooth, and he had used it before on 50 VS flights without problem.

FSM was called to explain, which was done very politely. Mr 1k will be writing to VS...

Anyone else been caught with Bluetooth?
#316287 by Decker
17 Oct 2005, 20:47
Well I tried to use my PDA last flight and the FSM very kindly got the rule book out and showed me a para about a device being capable of transmitting, not actually transmitting. This was a CAA rulebook not a VS one.
#316290 by buns
17 Oct 2005, 21:15
CSparker

Thanks for the TR[y][y]

your flight appears to have been one where the GNF service was just the ticket[:D]
Such a delay plus the champagnes (plural) before push back put a real strain on the bladder

Perhaps modifications on the UCS are in order[;)][}:)][:I][;)]
#316294 by Richard28
17 Oct 2005, 21:30
Originally posted by Decker
Well I tried to use my PDA last flight and the FSM very kindly got the rule book out and showed me a para about a device being capable of transmitting, not actually transmitting. This was a CAA rulebook not a VS one.

hmmm, So bluetooth is a problem on flights, yet on Singapore Airlines they actually have WiFi on-board - so that is okay?

I've just got a new PDA, which has WiFi, Bluetooth and can store movies (Palm Lifedrive) - I got especially for long-haul trips [:(]

Thanks for the TR csparker [y]
#316298 by Richard28
17 Oct 2005, 21:48
On the bluetooth/wifi issue - I've now posted info in csparkers thread on the subject here.

Rich.
#316367 by ChuckC
18 Oct 2005, 14:41
Christopher,

Regarding portable transmitters, on US flights you likely recall hearing the FA announce something like: 'all portable electronic devices including laptops, cell phones, PDAs and pagers must be turned off in flight unless you are able to disable the transmitter'.

Bluetooth-enabled devices would certainly qualify as, if I'm remembering correctly, they are seeking their 'mate' as long as they are powered on. My laptop is Wifi enabled but, in deference to the airlines, I suppose, has a switch that allows me to turn that feature off.

I suggest you post this aspect of your TR in the Technology forum for broader participation. Someone smarter than I will surely be there!

Chuck-
#316380 by Richard28
18 Oct 2005, 17:34
ChuckC - he already has posted a new thread on this!!

the thread is in the travel technology forum here!

Rich.
Virgin Atlantic