Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238570 by paul_a142
23 Oct 2005, 00:49
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Sat here on a Saturday night just back from Cuba, wife watching R Williams in Belin so thought I would have a go at my FIRST trip report, be gentle dear reader.

Flight was 09:30 Saturday so was on line at 09:32 Friday and used online check in, such an easy way of doing it, got our requested seats 61A 61C at the back of the bus in the doubles[:)]

Living in the midlands we travelled up to LGW on the Friday 8th prior to out flight, using Virgin Trains via Reading, can't stand the drive back after a transatlantic flight and besides it's free[:)]

Checked into the Hilton Gatwick a little after 15:00 and got a nice upgrade to the Exec floor courtesy of Hilton Honors Gold had a few drinks in the exec lounge (don't you just love not having to pay) then went to use twilight check in.

Went into the south terminal to the VS area and it was empty, usual security stuff, bags dropped, boarding cards issued in less than 5 minutes.

Saturday up early, still a kid at heart, short walk form the Hilton into the terminal, straight through security, noticed that there were quite a few checking in with their bucket and spades LOL.

After a browse at duty free and a quick brekky we walked the marathon to gate 33 where V ROS was sat, aah Nova, never mind one day will get a nicer system LOL ( we live in hope)

08:45 came and we waited 09:00 came and we waited beginning to wonder if there was a problem, the cabin crew were just stood there at the gate, wasn't 100% cerfain as a call of nature intervened but I was sure they had gone down the air bridge once and came back.

Anyway ay about 09:10 an announcement was made that they were still cleaning the 'Rose' and boarding would commence in about 15 minutes, smiles all round.[:D]

Sure enought at 09:20 the flight was called for the posh people first, I did notice that there was a lane for priority boarding and then all the wanna be's next fortunately boarding by rows from the rear rows 55 to 65 first seemed like everybody was at the back on this flight!!!!!

Never mind we pushed back at about 09:45 and as usual the el capitano advised us that this was going to be a quick flight this moring of 8 hours and 40 minutes (always makes you feel good to think your'e going to get there sooner than you thought, but don't count any ATC delay cos we didn't know that at the time[:0])

Nice take off, towards Cuba so no right turns after departure, went over the Channel Islands then out towards the Azores. Plane had quite a few vacant seats and after everyone had picked another seat with 3 vacant ones atttached to it, and about 50 minutes into the flight the crew came round with the drinks round, more smiling faces[:)]

Lunch arrived after about 90 minutes and I have to say it has to be one of the best meals I have had in flight, beef stew really tasty. One of the plusses of sitting at the back, good chance of getting your 1st option[y] dont know what was with it the but the red was good though.

Ordered wife a bottle of the old bubbly for our anniversary (It's right VS don't upgrade for them )but they took it back and chilled it down then brought it back with 2 full glasses from the posh seats.

The entertainment failed big style NO MAP[:0][}:)][:(!][V] but the films were good, watched Land of the Dead and Madagascar (again) but it is funny. The guy in 60C pushed his seat into full recline nearly lost a glass of house red but the goalkeeping skills came into play LOL.

Crew went in to disappearance mode but were quite happy to serve from the galley (DVT exercise)

Afternoon tea was served the usual Cheese roll and a scone and jam etc.

Eventually we saw the coast of Cuba and after flying along the coast line made our descent into Havana and eventually into immigration, god what a pain that is, I thought the US immigration can be slow but the Cubans take the biscuit.

In fairness VH do advise you that it is a very slow and painful process and to take a drink off the plane with you, as there are no facilities till you get the other side, actually in Cuba.

Took nearly an hour to get through, and you have to go through single file no couples or family groups etc. Took that long that when we reached the baggage carousel it had stopped and all the cases were piled on the floor.

However it was the start to a really good holiday, until 'Wilma' came knocking!!!!!

Regards

Paul
#316867 by iforres1
23 Oct 2005, 09:54
Paul,

Thanks for the TR.

Always good to hear from the back of the bus to see how real life is and by the sounds of it quite acceptable. As you say if you want a top up a quick jaunt is required sometimes, but never had a problem ever with refils.

Pity about Wilma though.

Thanks
Iain
#316887 by buns
23 Oct 2005, 14:24
Paul

Thanks for an excellent inaugural TR[y][y]

Ordered wife a bottle of the old bubbly for our anniversary (It's right VS don't upgrade for them )but they took it back and chilled it down then brought it back with 2 full glasses from the posh seats.

Many congratulations - I trust trust you had more than the single glass[;)]

As Iain said, TRs that cover the expereince in economy are so valuable for those taking their first VS flight, so a big thank you for taking the time to write.
#316926 by slinky09
23 Oct 2005, 23:03
Thanks for the first (?) TR to Cuba ... and really pleased you enjoyed your flight - you sound more forgiving than some of us though!

Really keen to hear of your experiences in Havana and of Wilma ... it's been 14 years since I went though I wonder how much has changed.
#316988 by paul_a142
24 Oct 2005, 18:00
Thanks buns[|:)] Just like being back at school LOL

Slinky. What a place, As I said in my report it is soooo slow getting into the country, and the sites we saw driving to Jibacoa where our hotel was situated made you open yor eyes.

People just stood on the roads waiting for lifts, apparently depending on the COLOUR of the reg plate if a person has room in his car he HAS to give a lift, loads of police/military to ensure that it happens.

We would be travelling at about 50MPH and the driver would slow down to a crawl because the road was full of pot holes, without any warning, just glad we didn't rent a car, try explaining that the shock absorber broke just driving along.[:0]

Went into Havana for the day and if you have been down the Keys in florida quite similar, not surprising as it is only 90 miles away, very colonial style properties but in a really bad state of repair.

As a tourist you are mythered (sp) with all sorts, from girls in national dress to old people sat on door steps with a huge cigar hanging out the corner, all wanting you to take their pics, and all for a few pesos.

As for Wilma when she first reared her head south of the island as a tropical storm seemed to die off and no one thought anymore about it. Then about Tuesday last week people began to talk about it again, and the fact that it was now a hurricane, much more interest took place. As far as we were concerned on thursday our day back home for the first time in 12 days the sun never shone this was when she was over Cancun.

Got our son to text is with the info that VS63 had left for Cuba that morning 04:30 Cuba time to pick us up.

I noticed on the VS web site that VS63 on Sunday was about 4-5 hours late departing, whether it was late into LGW on its previous flight or they were watching Wilma I don't know, just glad we came home when we did.[y]

Regards

Paul
#316999 by Treelo
24 Oct 2005, 19:08
Paul,

Great TR - you seem to have had a brill trip (despite the immigratioon and Wilma)[^]
#317005 by McCoy
24 Oct 2005, 19:34
Cuba is a fantastic place to visit.. was there in the spring, and would love to go back. Thanks for bringing back the memories..!! [y]
#317043 by slinky09
24 Oct 2005, 23:10
When I first went you had to queue at the cuban embassy for a visa ... I rang and made an appointment three times and on the first two arrived at the right time to find the doors shut and no one answering. Glad I persisted. What's the process now?
#317100 by paul_a142
25 Oct 2005, 17:17
Hi Slinky

WE booked our holiday through Virgin Holidays, and pre paid for the Visas @ £15 Each. When our tickets etc. arrived the visa were also enclosed.

I friend of mine went 3 years ago booked through Air Miles with BA[:0] and he had a lot of problems ended up haviong to go to the Cuban Embassy to purchase them.

Did you have to pay the 25 CUC pesos tax to leave the country?

Regards

Paul
#317110 by McCoy
25 Oct 2005, 19:46
Our visas came from the travel company we booked the holiday with.. we just had to fill in the details, and present them at check-in..

One thing to remember is to fill in the date in the US-style! (ie. MM-DD-YYYY) If you get it wrong, you have to BUY a new card, at £15 a pop, and start again... !
#317126 by paul_a142
25 Oct 2005, 20:40
McCoy

Thats dead right VH even put in a note to shoe you how to do it,as you say cock up and pay again[;)]

Regards

Paul
Virgin Atlantic