Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238607 by SteveE
25 Oct 2005, 22:03
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
My first report, so hope it covers everything!

Arrived at Terminal 3 having checked in on-line the night before. Still think it's only of use to Econ pax, as PE get their own desk anyway (and I was directed there by a member of staff). Noticed the new LHR CSM, Jeremy Spake (off the telly) supervising the staff in the Econ line. Nice to see him 'on the ground' in the midst of the real customer interface. No op-up offered, so got my pass for PE 71C upstairs, which I'd chosen in advance.

Quiet in security, and then into the shopping mall that is T3 airside. All calls and boarding were dead on time, and we boarded at about 3pm. Settled in to the seat, and quickly offered my drink (no Bucks Fizz, but otherwise the usual selection). Some delay with hold luggage meant a late push back, and then the usual queue on the tarmac, so we took off at about 4.30pm.

During the flight, I must say the whole service was exemplary, exactly as we'd like to happen every time. V-port worked beautifully, we had a drinks round, then an offer of a top-up straight after. Dinner was beef stew, chicken pasta or veg risotto. Beef was fine, and wine was refilled. Brandy and Baileys came round next (a bit quick, but never mind, nice to have it back). Crew came round several times with soft drinks, then a choccie bar. Watched a couple of movies I'd missed in the cinema, then we had our filled roll (chicken or cheese) before descent. There was Virgin Vie face and hand wash in the loo, again something that we've missed, and the notepad was back in the kit!

We were fighting 200mph headwinds on the way in, so were a bit late down (7.05pm) and on-stand at 7.15pm after waiting to cross the EWR runway. Immigration was quiet and efficient, and I met my driver at 7:35pm. (PS heard a couple of guys in front mentioning V-flyer to the crew-who were you?)

Overall, I want to again say how good the crew and service were. Hopefully the company has taken heed of some of our little niggles and acted on them. Here's hoping for just as good a return flight (VS002 on Thursday 27th).
#317139 by Decker
25 Oct 2005, 22:17
Nice report - thanks for that. Always nice to hear when something goes well! Especially interested to hear of Mr Spake's public appearance. Hope he'll drop by the CH on the 5th and say hello to the departing V-Flyer contingent.

Other V-Flyer might have been Buffy.
#317144 by buns
25 Oct 2005, 22:46
Steve

Thanks for a good inaugural report[y]

You made no mention of any 'scrum' at the gate, was boarding ok[?][?]

originally posted by Decker
Especially interested to hear of Mr Spake's public appearance. Hope he'll drop by the CH on the 5th and say hello to the departing V-Flyer contingent.

I sincerely hope there is not a camera crew in tow - I put a X for no publicity[:I][;)]
#317284 by SteveE
27 Oct 2005, 01:57
Again, in contrast to some earlier reports, there was a clear announcement for priority boarding for UC, PE, Gold and special requirements first, with a result of no scrum at all (I was 3rd on board!).
#317298 by xenole
27 Oct 2005, 10:16
On my last 4 Virgin flights from Gatwick, Newark, Heathrow and San Francisco, there have been definite announcements for various boardings.....it's usually when they hit the main bulk of economy passengers that there's a mad rush who may or may not get caught up with stragglers from PE etc.......
#317321 by FamilyMan
27 Oct 2005, 15:41
Originally posted by SteveE
...PS heard a couple of guys in front mentioning V-flyer to the crew-who were you?...

That would have been me (and MediaBoy) - I was directly in front of you. I did offer you an invite to the clubhouse under your original itinerary entry.

Glad you enjoyed the flight - hopefully I will get a chance to write up a TR soon.

Phil (Buffy)
#317407 by xenole
28 Oct 2005, 00:16
Originally posted by BuffyTVS65
...PS heard a couple of guys in front mentioning V-flyer to the crew-who were you?...

That would have been me (and MediaBoy) - I was directly in front of you. I did offer you an invite to the clubhouse under your original itinerary entry.

Phil (Buffy)

Probably kicking himself missing out on that then ;)
#317413 by mike-smashing
28 Oct 2005, 02:11
Again, in contrast to some earlier reports, there was a clear announcement for priority boarding for UC, PE, Gold and special requirements first, with a result of no scrum at all (I was 3rd on board!).

The real problem is for the J/W/Au pax who have been in the CH.

They turn up at the gate after the boarding call is made in the CH, by which time the Y 'scrum' has started, and at LHR there is often no easy way of jumping it.

Mike
#317431 by FamilyMan
28 Oct 2005, 15:52
Originally posted by mike-smashing

They turn up at the gate after the boarding call is made in the CH, by which time the Y 'scrum' has started, and at LHR there is often no easy way of jumping it.

Mike

But not on this flight. We were in the Clubhouse when the flight was called and made a leisurely way to the gate (31) - no scrum and a clear two lines.

Phil (Buffy)
#317483 by slinky09
28 Oct 2005, 21:44
Originally posted by mike-smashing

Mike

Yes generally agree with that, because CH passengers are called late we get caught up in the econ scramble. No disrespect to econ pax but often by the time I get to the gate there is a scrum and have to negotiate through or wait. Virgin should be a little more definitive about the lanes.
#317491 by mike-smashing
29 Oct 2005, 00:59
Originally posted by BuffyTVS65
But not on this flight. We were in the Clubhouse when the flight was called and made a leisurely way to the gate (31) - no scrum and a clear two lines.

It really depends on the individual gate. LHR terminal three is a nightmare, as no two gates seem to be identical in terms of layout and access.

Each gate will need a slightly different setup, but I think VS should set up a roped-off priority area and 'red carpet' like they have at the US locations.

Cheers,
Mike
#317733 by SteveE
31 Oct 2005, 13:08
Aaagh! I didn't go back to my itinerary post at all, I've learnt a lesson there! (Sound of kicking self...)

Turns out I'll get my first clubhouse visit in 2 weeks, when I fly LHR-BOM in UC.

Thanks for the offer guys, I'll look more carefully in future!
#317763 by Richard28
31 Oct 2005, 18:59
Aaagh! I didn't go back to my itinerary post at all, I've learnt a lesson there! (Sound of kicking self...)

Turns out I'll get my first clubhouse visit in 2 weeks, when I fly LHR-BOM in UC.

Thanks for the offer guys, I'll look more carefully in future!

A little tip Steve, whenever you post a thread (or any thread of interest for that matter), make sure you click the 'subscribe' button, that way, as soon as anyone replies, it will be flagged up in your e-mail inbox [:)]

Rich.
#317765 by Nottingham Nick
31 Oct 2005, 19:18
Originally posted by Richard28

A little tip Steve, whenever you post a thread (or any thread of interest for that matter), make sure you click the 'subscribe' button, that way, as soon as anyone replies, it will be flagged up in your e-mail inbox [:)]

Good tip from Richard, but don't rely on it at the moment. It is one of the parts of the site that is acting a little flaky. I am still getting emails saying subscribed topics have been replied to, when they haven't [?]

Nick
#317904 by VS-EWR
01 Nov 2005, 21:29
We were fighting 200mph headwinds on the way in, so were a bit late down (7.05pm) and on-stand at 7.15pm after waiting to cross the EWR runway.

Uh...200mph is like category 5+ hurricane strength, and would have probably caused the plane to crash. [:?]
Virgin Atlantic