Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238661 by DaveVal
30 Oct 2005, 00:30
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I had been looking forward to this flight for months becuase it was to be on a newer LGW 744 as opposed to the Air Atlanta 742 I have been on over the last few years.
DIY check in done the day before-didn't appear to save that much time -the DIY queue was about the same as PE and the check-in process itself didn't seem any speedier. However it wasn't long before we were heading for breakfast. Made the mistake of asking to check in the stroller here rather than at the gate-the line at the special desk was huge and remained so for some time. Will check before deciding next time.
Waited until last minute to board-travelling with a 2 and a 6 year old so like to be on board for least amount of time. Noted we were flying on Jersey Girl.
Soon upstairs to seats 79 HK 80 HK. Had chosen these mainly so we could be at the back but also because of postitive reports from V-flyer members. My observation about the recline was there didn't seem to be any difference between row 79 and 80.
Nova disappointing mainly because of lack of games which my 6 year old likes to play. Also fewer channels meant less choice for him too. We both watched Madagascar which we enjoyed but that was all that was suitable for him. I had considered packing a DVD player but wanted to avoid temper outburst when the battery ran out.
We asked for a drink (I think because we were the last to board upstairs everyone else had already been served, and we had distracted them by requesting a care chair for our 2 year old.
We pulled back from the gate about 10 mins late and took off about 10.40.
Drinks service prompt as was the food. Kids meal good selection-nuggets, biscuit etc. Usual choices of beef chicken or vegetarian for grown ups. Whatever my wife had she reported as good. I had ordered low fat-mainly in the hope I would get fruit instead of chocolate sludge-and I did along with a pleasant salad (not the pasta one) and some dried fruits.
Tea was a choice of Ceasar Chicken or Cheese sandwihces-my sandwhich was a small roll (in comparison to the others) with just lettuce and tomato-requested and gratefully recieved a chicken one. The kids were given a jam and a cheese spread one.
The rest of the flight was uneventful. A few spells of turbulence which required the seat belt sign.
I did note a variation in the cabin temperature. It was quite hot at the front but almost cold at the back.
We had chocolate instead of ice cream-it was a Cadbury's wafer bar and actually went quite nicely with the cup of tea we asked for. We were given a spare one for our 2 year year old which came in handy later.
Plenty of juice and water offered during the flight and no request too much trouble for the crew.
Landed on time at about 2.30.
We were second off the plane-just two economy passengers off before us. No lines at immigration and luggage waiting on the separate carousel.
Straight through securty and onto the monorail into the main buildong.
I followed another poster's advice and when straight to car hire desk before getting the bags. The line was short and I was completeting my paperwork by 3pm. Went for bags which were already on the luggage belt and went to collect family and car. Short delay here because I had not done this before and the were no cars I had booked available. Offered MiniVan for same price and driving out of the airport at 3.55.
So a very good trip and all expectations met.
David
#318071 by daisy
03 Nov 2005, 10:54
Dave - that sounds like a really good flight. Crew helpful too - which makes a HUGE difference.

Did you think the aircraft was a big improvement on the old version?

And would you recommend flying from Manchester? I've never flown from this airport but I like the idea of some winter sun so it may be worth a visit just for something different? Any benefits over LGW or LHR?

Thanks for the TR [y]
#318090 by AlanA
03 Nov 2005, 16:26
One thinbg about Manchester (apart from the Man ure fans of course! [:D]) is that there is no Clubhouse, just a shared lounge. also, not children under a certain age allowed in regardless of class of ticket [:#]
#318291 by DaveVal
04 Nov 2005, 23:10
Daisy,
We like flying from MAN as we live only 25 minutes away. We like the airport because we now know where everything is and the best ways to get there etc. We've not flown from LGW or LHR for some time, mainly since we had the kids. We hate the extra hours it adds to the journey, and waiting for the shuttle back to MAN after an overnight flight is pretty grim!
As far as the plane goes, if I'm honest it was as 'new' as I thought it would be being only 4 years old. The fabric trim on the seats and the carpet was looking a little worn.
As far as the seat configuration however, I don't think you can beat the upstairs PE section, as many posters have said. It feels like a private aircraft for 42.
Alan, I agree that is a problem for VA travellers. When we flew Club Orlando the kids weren't allowed in the Escape lounge. I thought I had read another post stating that this policy had changed since the Upper Class service was now offered. I did note on the MAN airport website that the Servisair lounge was running a trial of allowing children of any age in at the going rate, but I don't know how long this was running for.