Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238729 by vwaz
03 Nov 2005, 23:05
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Been a bit of a while since we took the flight [:I] but still remember the details.

Booked a holiday to Tobago with Virgin Holidays (MegaDeal which found out means no FC points - can't have it all I suppose). A couplke of days after booking managed to reserve 63 H & K at the back in order to get 2 seats by the window rather than 3. Paranoid about losing the seats so used OLCI and arrived at the airport 3 hours before departure. Short wait at the DIY check in which was far better than the long queue for normal check in. Good job we arrived early as the queue to go airside was huge.

Called to the gate just under an hour before the departure and only sat at the gate for 5 or so mins before boarding. G-VROS English Rose was our plane and fortunately the Welsh girlfriend didn't mind! Was pleased with our choice of seat as the extra space to the side of K was useful.

Push back on time and a short delay at the head of the queue for the runway as some debris was removed [:0]and we were airbourne and straight into the clouds. The flight had lots of empty seats, mostly the middle 4 and many passengers took the opportunity to swap but we were happy and stayed put.

Entertainment being Nova was more limited to what I had experienced previously on VS but still better than that Northwest DC-10 I flew on 8 years ago! (and still in service as I noticed at LGW). Obviously the delights of V:port have spoilt me. Was disappointed that the map wasn't working though - I noticed other trip reports from g-vros have said the same.

Food was served quickly - was a nice beef casserole and later on a wafer bar which impressed the other half.

Settled down to watch a muso documentary on the Dandy Warhols which I though was great as you wouldnt have seen this film elsewhere.

The skies got bluer and apparantly Tobago was in site but we were on the wrong side of the plane. A sharp left turn and one of those landings where you think you are going into the sea until a palm tree appears a split second before you hit tarmac. Managed to get some pictures before getting told off and joined the back of the queue.

All in all a good flight - went quickly, didn't get bored, sevice was friendly. And 7 days and two cases of sunburn later we would be doing it all again. Well 8 days actually - thats another story.
#318245 by HighFlyer
04 Nov 2005, 18:09
Thanks for the TR [y]

What did you think of TAB? Its a destination i have been longing to go to but never managed to make it there.
#318330 by vwaz
05 Nov 2005, 14:25
We loved Tobago - took some getting used to at first because it is quiet (nightlife centres around hotels) but really got into it. It is unspoilt because they control development carefully so no hotels with over 250 rooms or 3 storeys. Not been to any other caribean islands so not sure how it compares.
#318334 by paul_a142
05 Nov 2005, 15:55
Great report [y]

We had the 'Rose' to Havana last month and sat in 61A/C great if you are a couple and to have the extra space at the side is a bonus, on reflection I think next time I would pick row 62/63 as you can get extra leg room down the side of the aircraft.[;)]

We looked at Tobago and the Hilton but plans altered. Where did you stay?

Regards

Paul
#318336 by vwaz
05 Nov 2005, 16:48
We stayed at the Turtle Beach which was in a beautiful setting but the rooms were not the best. However the pool was lovely, food good and all in all for the money we paid we were happy and would go back. Haven't written the return TR but we got delayed for a night and was sent to the Hilton (for an hour or so until we were told they had no rooms [:(!]) The Hilton did look nice and there seemed as much of a drive to get from the front gate to the hotel as there was from the airport to the front gate!
Virgin Atlantic