Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238734 by ade99
04 Nov 2005, 00:55
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Having a bad trip out was not sure what to expect coming home. Flight was due to depart just after 21:00 so tried on-line check-in at about 23:00 EST and just got error message asking to check-in at airport. Thought I'd wait till after midnight just in case the 24hr thing was using PST, still not able to check-in.

Woke up about 8 and finally the online check in worked, we secured our 6A/K and decided to spend the day around the pool before popping over to Downtown disney for a Choc Malt. Due to the late flight I decided to pay for an extra night cos the hotel was full so no chance of a late check-out, and the web rate wasn't that much.

Headed out of hotel about 18:30, dropped the car off at Hertz and arrived at the terminal about 19:30. Went up to the UC check-in and checked the bags in, staff made comment that we had already OLCI and I told them about the problem with checking in the night before. 'Probably India messing around with it again' was the response - detecting a bit of tension re. outsourcing.

Headed off for dinner at the terminal cos we were seriously worried about what we were going to get fed on the flight. Through security quickly and on to monorail, joined by to VS FA who looked us up and down sounding us out as not-VS passengers and so continued with their conversation about how the CSS was 'such a lieing cow, she told me round the pool this etc.....'

Quick trip to the Delta Crown Lounge, OK said it before and will say it again, up to five VS flights surely some food should be made available, still nice large lounge with good bar and free wi-fi.

Called for pre-board and walked our way to the gate. Proper sign for UC/PE/Gold line and we were called forward and first ones on the plane. Made our way to our seats then met the poor FA from the monorail who realised we had heard all her comments. To be fair she was absolutely polite and professional on the plane all the way. She took our orders (just a bacon butty then bed for me) and we had another top up of bubbly - I agree with previous posts that they need to get a better bottle on board.

FSM came around after take-off with Carlos and to say hello. Asked for a bottle of water (none in the suites) - were told that they had not been loaded and we would have our glasses topped up all night.

Bacon butty then change into PJs while the FA made our beds, again she was most professional and polite even down to wishing us sweat dreams. Off to sleep for a bit.

Bumpy flight, seat belts on and off over a dozen times. Woke up thirsty and made way to bar to get some water, but none there so asked in the galley and then back to snooze.Had a few hours sleep thanks to a combination of late departure, bubbly and the sleeping pills.

Woke up and got changed, greeted with a lovely polite good morning and some fruit and yoghurt from the FA.

Landed and started to work our way to the door when told that there was a problem with the gate - they couldn't get the door open so would have to be bussed to the terminal and that it would be at least 30 minutes before coaches. Made our way back to the seats and then told that the engineers had sorted it and we could get off. All of economy and PE upstairs held back so that the A/B zone could get off first.

Made way all the way around the satelite and into immigration with a longer wait in the EU line than other nationals. Arrived in the new baggage reclaim and bags off in about five minutes. Through customs and back at home 10 minutes later.

On reflection, great flight with a great departure time, polite crew, food looked good (although we didn't eat much), first time we had 6A/K for sleeping (seemed a little bit narrower than the others) if only the outbound flight could have been like this. Please please please VS get the consistency right and the VS would receive nothing but praise from me and the other-half.
#318180 by AlanA
04 Nov 2005, 09:15
Nice report Ade.
Glad to see wifi in the Delta lounge, it wasn't available in January when we were there.
Bonus! [y]
#318224 by daisy
04 Nov 2005, 15:49
I agree Ade99 - consistency is everything! (well, 'consistently good' is!!) All they need to do is get this lot consistently right and none of us would ever consider another airline (and I'm talking about UC in the air here)...come to think of it we probably wouldn't need to write trip reports either [:?]

Professional, friendly crew
Clean aircraft
Working IFE
Working Seat
Good choice of well cooked/presented food
Good selction of Drinks
Nice amenity kit

Glad the flight back was more enjoyable for you both...[:)]