Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238762 by andrew.m.wright
06 Nov 2005, 13:16
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Wow - but of a mixed bag this one ! My 1st proper Upper Class experience apart the 'Op Up' in the final days of the J2000 seats last year, so whilst I don't have anything to compare this trip to any previous Upper Class trip, some of the following will ring true with what has written on this forum in past months.

I've also been travelling Virgin Atlantic since 1994 so like too think I know a thing or 2 !!!!!

Travelled to Gatwick on Friday on Friday afternoon, and stayed at the Premier Travel Inn at the North Terminal - Love this hotel as it's cheap, and you can walk to the terminal the following morning in around 5 minutes. Dumped the car in Parking Express at the South Terminal which had the best deal via BAA.Com. The normal internet sites couldn't come close to BAA, and at the moment you'll get a Five Pound Duty Free Voucher as well.

Arrived at Check In just after 7.30am with only one person in front so was soon on the the way to the Clubhouse - I'd actually used OLCI Friday lunchtime, but wanted the buzz of walking up the the Upper Class Check In ! Sad I know !

Straight through Fast Track Security and on the the Clubhouse. Once seated I waited a good 10 minutes, before deciding if I didn't go move to the Bar, I wasn't going to get any food etc ... Smoothies, and Signature Breakfast ordered both of which were good. Service improved after this, just slightly sad at the initial service. Had a great Mens Facial in the V Touch Salon, before enjoying more food, and drink as the morning wore on.

Left the Clubhouse before the flight was called, but arrived at the Gate where boarding had started - Yes there was Priority Boarding lines which were clogged with Economy Passengers. Fought my way to the front avoiding various comments, and then straight on to the Aircraft which I'm guessing was an LHR version has there were games on the IFE.

2 crew working the Cabin, and drinks followed straight away - Unfortunately these were the only 2 crew seen during the flight, and at no time did the FSM enter the Upper Class Cabin to talk to the passengers who were made up of 7 business people, and a family with 3 very young children! Also no passenger names used by staff when asking for orders

Left on the westerly runway ahead of time with no wait for the long 10 hour flight to Orlando.

The food ! In a word excellent - Soup to start, followed by the Steak, and then Mango & Lime Ice Cream with various snacks including cakes, and Ben & Jerrys Ice Cream avialble. However, there were many times during the flight when I had to get up, and go to the Galley if I needed something, as supplies on the Bar were a bit thin including a lack of water.

The Upper Class Suites are also starting to show 'Wear & Tear' with fabric tears, and the IFE screen refusing to come on in certain positions. Cleaning is also an issue with Chocolate marks around my small tray table

Landed into Orlando from the South, which then meant a 10 minute taxi to the Gate across the active 17/35 runway. Once at the Gate another 15 minute wait till the jetway appeared. This was followed by Economy passengers off before me, so a slight wait at Immigration. Then the usual double bag claim before heading for the hotel.

So there we have it ! Would I book Upper Class again - Not sure at the moment as in my mind, I think I'd struggle to justify the service levels, and cost implications against being upstairs in Premium Economy.

Look on the bright side - I'm coming back in Economy a week on Tuesday !
#318374 by AlanA
06 Nov 2005, 14:22
Wow! ten hours, thats a huge headwind Andrew!

At the gate (before you go into the holding area) was there just one line or a priority line ther as well? this was the most annoiying thing for me in january, as we were right up the corridor waiting to enter the holding pen. [:(!]
#318375 by andrew.m.wright
06 Nov 2005, 14:41
Alan,

Yes a long flight indeed with a very north routing that took us over Goose Bay, and Canada. That's unusual these days to go that far North. In February this year it was 8 hours 45 minutes with an almost direct routing.

Not since the days of going via Sanford with the Charter boys have I had such a long flight.

Also when you arrive in Orlando they're using an easterly runway that's well out of the way of the main 4 runways!

This involves a long taxi including waiting to cross the active 17/35 runway. At 5.30PM on a Saturday night I counted 3 waiting to land, plus 2 waiting to take off - It all adds to the journey time coupled with the fact it then took 15 minutes to get the jetway connected to the aircraft.

Yes the Priority Line was clearly marked at Gatwick but clogged with Economy Passengers who didn't want to move or be moved !
#318378 by JO5H777
06 Nov 2005, 16:44
i've heard that the crew operating the orlando flights aren't as good as when they are operating to other destinations as the stop over on orlando is very short for them, only one day i think. at times crew benefit from a 4 day stop over in boston which is a much shorter flight!
#318393 by andrew.m.wright
06 Nov 2005, 21:24
Originally posted by JO5H777
i've heard that the crew operating the orlando flights aren't as good as when they are operating to other destinations as the stop over on orlando is very short for them, only one day i think. at times crew benefit from a 4 day stop over in boston which is a much shorter flight!

Interesting - Yesterday's crew didn't seem to know each other - They were also coming back as passengers today as there's no 3rd flight to Orlando on a Sunday - Just Friday & Saturday.
Virgin Atlantic