Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238763 by Decker
06 Nov 2005, 15:28
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Checkin was a little busy - a precursor of things to come as it turned out. Checking agent wrote a '/G' next to the J on the boarding pass - true enough, it was an S upgraded with miles, but why? Also wrote APIS OK which was interesting as he never asked me for additional info.

Made my way to the clubhouse and caught up with Nottingham Nick and Derby Dave. Once inside we joined Buns and MCuth on the leather banquettes. Ginnette was off having her hair done thus allowing me to start my day with a faux pas... surveying Bumble Hair Salon with one skinhead cut male and one long haired female... 'So - which one's Ginette?'. [:(] Buns and MCuth had already had their first breakfast of the day so I tucked into a glass of champagne (Mumms - hoorah!) and got ready for my haircut. 09:00 quickly came around and various bods disappeared for various treatments. Much to my amazement my hairdresser placed my accent pretty much immediately - her dad was from around my way!

A very stylish cut followed - although I can't see it lasting. The question 'so do you have hair straightening irons with you?' is sort of a death knell for the Decker 'get out of bed, go swimming, wash hair - leave to dry naturally' approach. Rejoined the crew and considered

1) Eating
2) More champagne
3) Jacuzzi

and decided against all three, opting instead for a bowl of fresh fruit and a bottle of water. MCuth and Buns however decided that another breakfast was called for [:)].

The lounge was getting pretty full so Buns and I decided to see if we could get mileage upgrades for various group members. It was not to be - as we'd later find out the flight did not have a single spare seat - even all the jump seats were occupied! As we left we concurred that the lounge just wasn't big enough currently.

We bade farewell to DD and NN and Buns, Ginette, MCuth and self headed to gate 23 - closest I've ever been to the Clubhouse! Priority Boarding was well signed so in no time at all we were on our way on board. We split up and went to our respective seats. Coat taken, drink order taken - usual start of champagne and water for the 'Airborne' tablet. Settled in, reviewed the menu and waited for take off. And waited. And waited. And waited. Finally we took off an hour late. Regretfully another drinks service wasn't offered during this time but it is possible that the crew were distracted by making the suites accessible for a very well known disabled academic who was on today's flight. At least I knew of this person - apparently there was another celeb spot in the Clubhouse but you had to watch afternoon TV to know who it was. Robbie Williams was in the day before apparently...

As we taxied to 27L we passed v-GFOX being tugged into position on stand.

Takeoff was uneventful and after the FSM had made her post take off announcement it was time to give drink/snack orders and fill in immigration forms. Shortly thereafter the FSM made a point of coming round, thanking for continued business and asking what we were up to this trip. She hadn't heard of V-Flyer so cards were handed out and note made of Mcuth and Ginette's seat numbers in the middle of the bus. I was made to feel genuinely welcome on board so EXCELLENT people skills there Ms FSM! As an aside even though her partner was on a jump seat at no time did she neglect her passengers in his favour. Respect!

Apparently there had been NO no shows - an unheard of situation. Several people on crew travel had had to be left behind and rerouted via LAX!

The food was the (now standard) Gravad Lax Salad (tasty but not enough salmon) and the Pancetta Wrapped Chicken (nice large portion). The cheese was most welcome - the Shropshire Blue being on particularly good form. The accompanying wines were excellent - I even turned down the offer of port in favour of my current favourite Chateau Haut!

The IFBT delivered a fine 'Hot hands' - I had also noticed her treating people at their seat if they so preferred. The seats were showing a bit of wear and tear on the edges but seemed in generally good nick. I do have to wonder about who scribbles in biro on the leather seat surrounds. I'm assuming vandalastic children.

VPort was probably good but in honesty I didn't watch it. I tried a round of trivia and SMSing MCuth but his handset was switched off. Half way through the flight Buns came down from upstairs and he and I went visiting MCuth and Ginette. Walking down there in my socks allowed me to discover that one of the water tanks had leaked all over the galley area - at least it wasn't the holding tanks...

Throughout the flight the crew were excellent. Friendly and helpful. Without exception they were all very upbeat. I couldn't fault them in any way! Towards the end of the flight I asked the FSM's permission to allow some of my fellow travellers to join me at the bar. As the flight was so busy she asked that I restrict this privilege and so I brought Ginny up to the bar for a while (well MCuth and Buns know what it is like already :)). The crew kindly plied us with afternoon butties and an excellent steak and onion ciabatta.

Before I knew it we were on descent so back to the seat and prepare for landing. Straight off the plane and down to immigration. Processed in minutes and along to baggage pickup. Bags were out immediately such that by the time MCuth and Buns arrived I was all set! Ginny turned up, all bags were sorted and we made our way to the exit. Ginny was directed one way while we were directed another thus ensuring a mini drama whilst we tried to find her. But all's well that ends well and Buns and I were soon in our limo (thanks Buns!) and off to the Hilton in town to meet up with LRoM. Once again Hilton Diamond have come up trumps. I'm sitting in a reward room that has been upgraded to a suite. The living area is bigger than the downstairs of my house!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Vegas on Monday and reading Mcuth and Bun's reports!
#318377 by kst61
06 Nov 2005, 16:43
I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable UC experience on this flight. I am going to be on VS 19 in about 12 days. Next week, I am heading to LHR on VS 20 and am looking forward to it. I really think the inflight staff has a lot to do with making or breaking the flight experience. I find the VS staff to be so up beat and they seem to enjoy their duties.

Your comments on the LHR CH were interesting (concerning the current size of the CH). I do try to arrive early to take in as miuch of the lunge as I can. I find it a great way to start the UC experience.

Enjoy Las Vegas!!!
#318387 by Scrooge
06 Nov 2005, 20:03
Sounds like a great flight.After talking to the guys over lunch yesterday it seems that the food in UC is getting alot better[y]

'So - which one's Ginette?' well,we seem to have found our phrase for the wwek[:w]
#318388 by mcuth
06 Nov 2005, 20:23
Great TR mate, I think we all had a good flight yesterday - even down the back [;)]

Apparently, to receive SMS on V:Port, you actually need to go into a menu to activate it first (I found this out later, but wasn't sure of your seat number [:I])...

Hope you keep the hairstyle, you only need a small make-up bag to look like Robert Smith - in fact, we could arrange this during the week if you want [;)][:D][:D]

My TR to come - just sorting out bits and bats today....[:)]

Cheers

Michael
#318394 by slinky09
06 Nov 2005, 21:25
Have a great time you all. And a good read too, seems most positive and good busienss for Virgin too to be so full! Perhaps time for a second flight to SFO!
#318410 by JAT74L
07 Nov 2005, 09:31
Way to go Decks!

An excellent start to the proceedings!

Regards

John
Virgin Atlantic