Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238804 by Richard28
10 Nov 2005, 02:52
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
A quick mini trip report on the status of things down the back!

I unfortunately couldn't angle the time off of work for the v-flyer Vegas trip (would have loved to have gone to the bone yard [:(]), so arranged a quick weekend in New York instead!

on booking this flight on the web site, I (fortunately) noted that on cheapest fare I was getting a non-miles earning bucket (thanks v-flyer!), so had to call VS to book tickets instead - so no online mileage bonus.

It would be great to be able to select the bucket class on the VS site, or at least tick a box to ensure you get a mileage earning ticket....

I chose the VS17 outbound so I could get a full days work in before heading to LHR (only 20 mins or so from where I work), and arrived early at the pink elephant parking, and spent a good 30 mins listening to CD's and watching planes take off - it is an awsome car park - I dont mind paying more for views like that!!

Was my first time flying VS from LHR in 12 months, and my first look at the new check in area - seemed rather well layed out.

Courtesy of Ag flying club card, I went to PE check in, and was immediately called over to Upper Class, and booked through quickly, with corect seat booked, and PE priority tag on luggage (which worked at other end). Top marks here [y]

We left from gate 40, or 340 to use its full name, rather apt considering the plane I was flying on today.

It is a long walk, to the gate, but hey, have missed the gym all week and I needed the exercise!

Food on the flight was excellent, with choice of beef stew, chicken in mushroom sauce, or mushroom rissoto. Not being a fungi fan I went for the beef which was v. good.

Was my first flight on the A346 (have done 742, LHR744 LGW744 and A343 - I think I've only missed out on the now retired 741's!) and they are a sexy plane - and I could at last see the funky toilets people comment on - they do add a bit of sparkle!

By the way, I was on Miss Kitty (G-VATL)

An afternoon tea was served before landing, which was a little strange, as it was about 2:30 am UK time - but was again v good (chicken caesar roll - other choice was a soft cheese roll).

Landing was on time at EWR, and had my quickest ever immigration experience - they seem to work like a well oiled machine there - although it was undoubtably helpeed by our arrival time.

The best thing of the flight was no Sky News [y][^], so immediate V:Port and viewing pleasure!

quick update - the whole V:Port system seemed much more stable since last time I used it - was very responsive, smooth and completely error free. Also it has loaded whole seasons of various programmes now grouped by genre rather than the ambiguous 'V:Comedy2' or whatever.

So you could choose UK Comedy and select from a whole season of Father Ted or in US comedy Friends for example - rather than just one or two episodes - fab!

great flight. I've marked the seat as below average due to the IFE box under seat in front, and what seemed a smaller than avergae pitch seat 38K - row 33 looks like the row to go for - buckets of room!

ok, 'short' TR now over, return will pop up shortly....