Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#238876 by HighFlyer
14 Nov 2005, 11:12
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
VS020 SFO LHR
12th November 2005
UCS Seat 15G

I thought I would do a trip report for the return leg of the Vegas social as nobody seems to have done that yet.

I grabbed a taxi to SFO Intl with LRoM from the Westin St Francis at 11.30am. We arrived around 12pm to be met by Pix & Mitchja, who advised us that check-in wasnt open yet. As I walked into the terminal I saw the emergence of what could be the longest queue for Upper Class ever. Slowly, the rest of the group arrived and waited complete with their grey v-flyer polo shirts for the occasion!

Check-in opened and one by one we all grabbed our boarding passes and headed off to the SFO Clubhouse. Myself, Buns4vs & LRoM were all booked into PE and set about trying to secure seats in UC. After being relieved of a few miles, LRoM and I had a nice purple boarding pass to our name (Buns had his confirmed in the CH). With invites in hand, we walked off to the Clubhouse to meet the rest of the motley crew who had started to get the party into full swing.

We were met in the CH by Sky and mcmbenjamin, who some of us had the pleasure of meeting earlier in San Fran. Orders for food were placed and many a glass of Champagne and the odd Blue Lagoon came our way.

(apologies to LRoM for the last picture, but it was too good *not* to post!)

The flight had been delayed from its usual 16.30 departure time, not that it made any difference to our group who were gladly drinking the bar dry of its Blue Curacao! We watched the BA SFO flight arrive, with Tubular Belle arriving shortly after, our home for the next 11 hours.

Our flight was called shortly after 1700hrs, and the group moved en-masse through security after saying goodbye to the wonderful CH staff and to Sky and mcmbenjamin.

After security, we had to complete the US-VISIT exit procedure, something new to me (and probably not best completed by somebody who had a few too many blueys in the CH). Most amusingly, as my passport was scanned a different name came up and hence my fingerprints did not match those on record. Eventually I managed to get through, and headed down to gate A8 where I got on board.

We were greeted by Jetstreamer, who was lucky/unlucky (edit as appropriate) to be working the UC cabin on our flight. We all settled into our suites and shared a glass of Champagne. While waiting for take-off I scanned the Freedom menu (different from the one I was given in the CH I hasten to add) and carefully planned my evenings dining. We were airborn fairly quicky and eagerly waiting for the seatbelt sign to go off. Sleepsuits, amenity kits and Carlos were all handed out.

No sooner had I heard the bing from the seatbelt sign, I saw Mcuth & Preiffer running past me (gleefully i might add!) to grab a seat at the bar. I followed, along with LRoM, Pix and onionz, and ordered the first few drinks of the flight.

After downing a nice Baileys I returned to my suite after changing into my ninja suit. LRoM and I had been allocated 15 D&G, which had the removable divider on G-VHOT. Our seats had been converted into a fantastically large double suite so that required exploring.

Whilst the concept of a double bed in the air isnt quite evoked by the double suites, I did actually really enjoy these seats. There is an awful lot of room created by removing the divider (especially if you are small like myself anyway) although with the high sides it did feel like being in a play-pen (probably well suited then to the two passengers it occupied)

The IFBT called me over for my massage which was absolutely wonderful. After the massage I headed back to my seat, and around this time the seatbelt sign came on as we encountered a little turbulence, which created an opportunity for the v-flyer trivia challenge event (first round won by Decker I believe?). For some reason V.Port kept kicking me out of the game (usually by the time I had gained a credible score) although the same was happening to LRoM as well. The annoyance is that you have to rejoin the game and enter your player name all over again although it did create the opportunity for a few interesting players (such as BA Boy and another that will go unannounced - to join in the fun)

Around this time the meal service started. I ordered the Chicken which was very yummy, although the trivia challenge interrupted my usual ability to clear my plate in minutes. I took home my Cruet set which is staring at me from on top of my computer monitor at work as I type this. My tray was cleared away but I wasnt actually offered any Cheese or Pudding, probably a good thing given the volume of food I had managed to consume in a week on vacation.

Once the seatbelt sign was switched off, it was back at the bar. I was there with Mcuth, Preiffer, Mitchja, Onionz and Bazz and believe it or not we all sat there consuming the fruit basket over a drink or two. It was around this point that a photo opportunity arose as Mcuth got into the double suite and cuddled up to (a not too amused) LRoM, sadly the photo didnt come out, and so it was back to the bar for a refill. Onionz had got me completely addicted to White Russians whilst in Vegas (thank-you!! Hehe) so we had a few of those mixed up for us. We decided to go back to Y to say hello to Dave and Nick, who we caught having a nap. I believe Mcuth took a picture of this event, although I was too busy laughing at the spectacle of onionz and myself mincing around Y in our sleepsuits, both clutching onto a White Russian from the bar (a drink I hasten to add!) We decided to do a tour of duty down the back, but as soon as we got there the seatbelt sign went on I believe Mcuth was paying a visit to the restroom at this time. Onionz and I recalled the words of Pete, who encountered a little turbulence on his outbound flight and had to take a seat in Y until it passed so I do believe we ran back to the safe haven of J and were in our suites within moments. (sorry Michael for doing a runner).

I had another go at trivia challenge and by this time the majority of the group seemed to be heading for bed if they were not there already. I decided that I should really get a bit of sleep I think it was only a couple of hours before we were due to land, so I got comfy in my suite and I think I had about an hour before being awoken by the lights coming back on in the cabin.

I refused breakfast, and took a refreshing orange juice instead as I knew I would eat in revivals. I sat in my suite feeling a little dazed to be honest, I had hardly any sleep and way too many drinks on this flight, but hey, this was the party bus after all. I got changed back into normal clothes, turned my bed back into a seat and waited for arrival at the gate.

We had to wait a few moments for a gate, and we were swiftly all disembarking and heading to collect our luggage, and then to make our way to Revivials. A shower and nice breakfast later, one by one we made our departures and headed for home. My brother picked me up around 1.15pm, and before 2pm I was at home with a coffee and a heap of washing that is still there!

What can I say I had a fantastic time on the social, better that I could have anticipated, made truly wonderful by each and every one of the good people that made it happen. Bring on the next one!!!
#319086 by preiffer
14 Nov 2005, 11:18
Nice one [y]

Originally posted by HighFlyer
No sooner had I heard the 'bing' from the seatbelt sign, I saw Mcuth & Preiffer running past me (gleefully i might add!) to grab a seat at the bar.
To be fair, I didn't dare stop - momentum would have killed me [:0][:p]
#319088 by xenole
14 Nov 2005, 11:34
Is it just me or does the wood panelling and white tables seem rather reminiscent of a cheap 80's cafe?

Nice tote, LRoM ;)
#319089 by fozzyo
14 Nov 2005, 11:36
[y]
Fabulous TR - thanks for sharing, really sounds like you guys had an absolute blast!! And well done on the dash from Y to J when the seat-belt sign came on, maybe that could be a new V-Flyer Sport?

Mat xxx
#319090 by Nottingham Nick
14 Nov 2005, 11:38
Great TR, Thanks Sarah [y][y]

Glad you enjoyed the trip - great people, great company. As you have said... bring on the next one [:D][:D]

The whole trip has great memories, but one of the last ones is being vaguely aware of a host of camera flashes, as I was having very pleasant dreams down the back in the 'non-pointy bit'.

Nick
#319099 by RichardMannion
14 Nov 2005, 13:56
Damn what did I miss whilst I was asleep in the suite? [:#]

Good TR chick!

Thanks,
Richard
#319100 by FamilyMan
14 Nov 2005, 14:07
Excellent. Can't begin to tell you how envious I am of you all.

Phil
#319101 by ChuckC
14 Nov 2005, 14:07
Sarah,
You really brought the experience alive for those unable to be there 'live.' The pictures, your TR -- all of it -- are terrific. Thank you so much.

Chuck-
#319102 by mitchja
14 Nov 2005, 14:15
Excellent TR thanks Sarah [:)]

Thanks to all the crew and especially Jetstreamer for putting up with all of us for over 9 hours [:D]

Regards
#319108 by honey lamb
14 Nov 2005, 15:18
We all settled into our suites and shared a glass of Champagne.

How did you manage that? One glass and a dozen straws? [:o)][:D][}:)]
#319112 by fozzyo
14 Nov 2005, 16:59
Originally posted by ChuckC
Sarah,
You really brought the experience alive for those unable to be there 'live.' The pictures, your TR -- all of it -- are terrific. Thank you so much.

If there was a V-Flyer best picture award I'm sure you would win it Sarah, either outside the Chapel or LRoM with your bag. Absolute classics!

Mat xxx
#319119 by Mavrick
14 Nov 2005, 17:39
Excellent[y][^] T.R sooo sorry[:#] I miss the bash but you can put my name down for the next 1 from now [:D]
#319126 by mike-smashing
14 Nov 2005, 18:06
What an excellent time you guys seemed to have! Kudos to Jetstreamer for having the balls to work that flight [8D]. What about the rest of the crew?

I noticed from one of Pix's pics from the bar, someone had buttoned up all the v:port controls and bits behind the bar. Wonder why they did that? Worried about it getting filled up with white russians, or a V-flyer reprogramming v:port?

Cheers!
Mike
#319145 by n/a
14 Nov 2005, 20:29
Originally posted by xenole
Is it just me or does the wood panelling and white tables seem rather reminiscent of a cheap 80's cafe?

Nice tote, LRoM ;)

The SFO CH is a very hip looking, mid-century modern sort of place. The quality of the design finishes, the iconic furniture and above all THE WONDERFUL STAFF create an upscale and welcoming environment.

You should check it out sometime...it's fun! [:D]

GJ
#319146 by VS045
14 Nov 2005, 20:33
Great TR HighFlyer, sounds like you all had fun[:D]

Now the question that has got to be asked...after that trip to the CH and the bar, how many of you can actually remember what happened?[}:)][;)][:p]!!!

Cheers,
VS045
#319153 by Richard28
14 Nov 2005, 20:56
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes

The SFO CH is a very hip looking, mid-century modern sort of place. The quality of the design finishes, the iconic furniture and above all THE WONDERFUL STAFF create an upscale and welcoming environment.

You should check it out sometime...it's fun! [:D]

GJ

Agreed, that club house is very stylish indeed, a great place to relax pre flight.

Thanks for the TR Highflyer - looks like everyone had a good time!

Rich.
#319163 by jamie
14 Nov 2005, 21:30
Great trip report & just wish I had of been there with you all
#319188 by honey lamb
14 Nov 2005, 22:52
I had a quick glance at this at lunch time but have now had time to savour the report. It's excellent. [^] I really felt I was on board with you and could almost fell the whoosh as mcuth and preiffer went running past to the bar [:p]

Glad you all had such a great time and I only wish I could have been with you [:(]
#319189 by Scrooge
14 Nov 2005, 22:55
Thx for the TR HF..ok so spill the beans or should I say M&M's..how did that go down?
#319193 by onionz
14 Nov 2005, 23:12
Originally posted by preiffer
Nice one [y]

Originally posted by HighFlyer
No sooner had I heard the 'bing' from the seatbelt sign, I saw Mcuth & Preiffer running past me (gleefully i might add!) to grab a seat at the bar.
To be fair, I didn't dare stop - momentum would have killed me [:0][:p]

LOL! [:D]

White russians are the signature drink of any good trip! LRoM, however, chose not to have any alcohol in his milk! [:D]

To answer VS045 - I pretty much remember what happened. I remember when Mcuth, HighFlyer and I were barging our way up through Economy and then turbulence began, and none of us were too sober at that point - that was a good laugh. I wouldn't describe myself as 'mincing' about though! [:I][:)] - staggering about, yes. [:D]
#319207 by Scrooge
15 Nov 2005, 00:03
WHY oh why didn't I take this weekend off and join you guys...where's the beating your head against the wall smiley [:#][B)]

Cant wait to see the pic of LRoM and Mcuth in bed [^][y][oo]
#319212 by Littlejohn
15 Nov 2005, 00:17
Cant wait to see the pic of LRoM and Mcuth in bed
Which cinema is that on at then?
#319214 by Jetstreamer
15 Nov 2005, 00:26
Thank you for a fabulous trip report.

Just to reiterate one of my other posts, it was great to meet you all on the VS020. [y]

I look forward to the next Party Bus........
#319217 by derby_dave
15 Nov 2005, 00:39
Originally posted by jetwet1
Thx for the TR HF..ok so spill the beans or should I say M&M's..how did that go down?

Dave,

They were distributed by the cabin crew with HUGE grins [:D] on their faces - so I'm sure they must've been in on the joke and were trying to pick out the most, ahem, deserving cases for their distribution strategy.

As it happens, Nick was asleep when they came round, so expect a post from Mr Angry of Nottingham!? [n]

Dave
#319220 by preiffer
15 Nov 2005, 00:44
Originally posted by derby_dave
As it happens, Nick was asleep when they came round, so expect a post from Mr Angry of Nottingham!?
Free upgrades winging their way up to the Midlands, then...? [^]
Virgin Atlantic