Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239039 by JAT74L
21 Nov 2005, 18:05
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Having travelled out last week on the inaugural VS077 aboard G-VGAL...

It was time to return home again after spending a week at the Escape at Prospect Bay hotel 'by Virgin Holidays'

The weather was a bit ropey for the first 4 days and the hotel was far from the 4V+ 'Flagship' is was sold as but, it was OK and the food was mostly good. This didn't stop me from sampling some takeaway food at the local 'Cheffette' burger bar...

suerly the best located outdoor seating ever!

We deciced to take a cab to the airport so I could get some time to enquire about a miles upgrade to Upper from our 'H' class PE tickets with VH. Alas this is not allowed (as previously pointed out by LRoM) but shortly after my brain was taken over by my big toe I was in possetion of a lounge pass and two purple boarding cards for 8A & 9A! I was also nearly a grand lighter...[B)]

The Club Caribbean lounge is nothing to write home about but does strangely contain a jewellers shop. Just incase I thought about demolishing some more dosh before leaving the island perhaps?!

We spent a couple of hours in the lounge and let the laptop reach the outside world for the first time in seven days thanks to the free wireless, had a few drinkies then toddled off through security at about 1800.

Baording was efficiently handled and we were first up the A door stairs and into the pointy bit! Mrs JAT was suitably impressed (her first visit to UCS and second time in Upper). The excellent crew immediately offered the usual drinks and we had a couple of top ups.
Capt Smith advised of a 7h39m journet time and we were away nicely at around 2000.

The crew member who was serving in the J cabin came and introduced himself and took another drink order while explaining the seat to the uninitiated (Mrs JAT!) I noted that he referred to us all by name. We went to explore the two seat bar and got chatting with the nice lady in the black shirt and found out she was from Glasgow.

Shortly after our cabin crew chap came back and said the wrong menus had been loaded and reeled off the choices available. He also told me I could eat when I wished!

I chose the Scallops for starter...

...and the Curried Chicken for mains.

The starter was best of the two along with the Chablis which was very pleasant.

I managed a few hours sleep and enquired with Mrs in the morning whether I had been snoring? She said that I hadn't this time but had been farting rather a lot[:0][:$] Moi? [:?]

You just can't win can you?

The very attentive and proffesional crew immediately produced a welcome OJ the second I sat up and the offer of breakfast. I opted for a couple of bacon rolls and a nice cup of tea. All too soon we were approaching a frosty Manchester and we touched down around right time. A lengthy taxi to a remote stand addded some delay and this was added to by a problem with the stairs being frozen!

Captain Smith quipped that 'some percussive technology' is being applied and, sure enough after a few bangs on the hardware were set free into the nippy air!

A superb flight hosted by a fine cabin crew - completely spot on in every way.

Regards

John
#320213 by jilly
21 Nov 2005, 18:22
Thanks for a great TR John.

Glad to know that the crew didn't disappoint and the food was pleasant. Starter looks appetising but not sure about the baby sweetcorn with the curry, seems a rather odd combination to me.

Jilly
#320216 by DavidM
21 Nov 2005, 18:25
John - I thought of you when I saw the weather here in the Midlands this morning, so congratulations on beating the fog! You do set a poor example, though: I've been very good and gone for K fares to and from the Caribbean next week, and I just know I'm going to be sorely tempted, especially on the way back!

Good to hear the flight was up to par. [y]

Best wishes

David
#320217 by stephen
21 Nov 2005, 18:28
Fantastic report and loved the photo's. Great to hear all was well after some of the other reports on UC. We are now counting the days to our RTW so every good TR gets the blood pumping faster.[^][^][^]
#320218 by JAT74L
21 Nov 2005, 18:32
Jilly, the curry (minus the baby sweetcorn that I didn't touch) was so, SO like a boil in the bag job. Really, that's exectly what it reminded me of! Quite tasty but, kinda cheap?

David, enjoy your trip and try to resisit the temptation!

Regards

John
#320219 by JAT74L
21 Nov 2005, 18:55
Stephen, it's a great product to begin with but when the crew are on top form it really is 'THE business!'

Regards

John
#320224 by mike-smashing
21 Nov 2005, 19:37
Originally posted by JAT74L
Jilly, the curry (minus the baby sweetcorn that I didn't touch) was so, SO like a boil in the bag job. Really, that's exectly what it reminded me of! Quite tasty but, kinda cheap?

Yep, it does have that Sainsbury's ready meal kind of look to it, you're right!

But then again, where do you think most ready meal ideas started life? Airline flight kitchens, of course [;)].

Excellent TR, and glad to hear you had a good flight - that mini-bar really is mini - I don't think we can even see it behind you and Mrs JAT! Oh well, better than a poke in the eye... it must really feel like sitting in someone's living room in that small J cabin.

Cheers!
Mike
#320240 by Virgin Lover
21 Nov 2005, 21:07
Hi,

Excellent trip report and glad you made it back. Here is sunny ([?]) Manchester, RVR (runway visual range) was down to just over 50m at times this morning so I am not surprised it was a long taxi (probrably going around in circles!) [:D]

Neil.
#320395 by JAT74L
23 Nov 2005, 03:19
We had a 'Follow Me' car in front all the way in!

John
#320659 by JO5H777
25 Nov 2005, 16:31
thanks very much for this TR i'm travelling this route in april however back in economy
#320660 by Littlejohn
25 Nov 2005, 16:49
Originally posted by JAT74L
She said that (..) I had been farting rather a lot
[oo]

Glad the weather improved and that you had a good time. Nice concise TR.
#320731 by ChuckC
26 Nov 2005, 14:52
John,
Bit late in getting to your TR but have enjoyed it. Glad that you had a good visit. That picture of you eating 'fast food' on the beach says it all!

Best,
Chuck-
#320738 by Airbus340
26 Nov 2005, 17:48
great TR, good to see a good reveiw about uc service and food!
Virgin Atlantic