Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239044 by ela123
21 Nov 2005, 21:52
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
How exciting, I'd booked my first flight in the Suites last December so I was really looking forward to this.

Decided to check in early to make the most of the Clubhouse, so after spending a night at the Hilton (upgraded to an executive room, thanks to my newly aquired Gold Honors card [:D])walked straight through to the terminal.

Got to check in and there was a queue, several large groups were checking in at the same time. It took about 10-15 minutes to get to the check in desk, but once there were checked in quickly, issued our purple boarding cards (which had fast track written on them as they'd run out of stickers)for 6A & K, which I had prebooked last December as well. Armed with our Clubhouse invite, we were on our way.

Got through security quickly and straight to the Clubhouse, with treatment times confirmed we found a seat (it was quite busy in there at this time) We were soon approached and champagne and breakfasts, signature for me and full monty for James, were served shortly. Eventually all the other flights were called and it was just the VS15 passengers left in the Clubhouse. Just as the staff thought they would be going home soon, they found out that the Havanna flight that had left 1 1/2 hours ago was being turned back with a technical problem and I saw it land back just as we were taxi-ing to the runway[:#]

Our flight was called and we took the long walk to the gate, pleased to see VTOP and the Odyssey entertainment system waiting for us.[y]Luckily we arrived just as they had started pre-boarding and we just walked straight past the crowds, onto the plane and turned left,what a fantastic feeling [:D]

We took our seats right at the front and were immediately offered champagne, well it's rude not to[;)] Then a voice said 'you must be Elaine' and it was great to meet fellow V-Flyer Bill (Mid-Class)and his wife who were sat right behind us.
We were given instructions from the cabin crew on how the suites work and were off.

The cabin crew could not have been more attentive, they kept us topped up with drinks all flight and even remembered that i have my coffee black. The FSM came round and introduced himself to us all individually as well.

The food was good, not brilliant, but better than you expect on a plane. For lunch I had the following-
Cream of Asparagus, gruyere and tarragon soup served with a choice of warm breads. I had garlic! The soup just needed a little salt (from the salt & pepper planes that just jumped into my bag[:0])and I enjoyed it.
Grilled steak with dauphinoise potatoes, fresh seasonal vegetables ( very al dente) and horseradish sauce. This was better than I expected after reading some of the other trip reports[;)]
As I ordered late they had run out of the Mango & Lime ice cream so I had some chocolate Ben & Jerry's instead. Later when the ice creams were brought round I had strawberry so that I could compare the two!!
For afternoon tea I had a mixtue of sandwiches, the poached salmon one was delicious, followed by a ginger scone, clotted cream and jam, no room left for any cakes, served with (black!)coffee.

James asked the crew if we could have a sleepsuit each, which they happily gave us. This meant that we could leave them at our villa and use them for slobbing around the house in - result!

Just before we came into land they came round to collect the freedom menu. It was a shame but that had jumped into my bag as well!!

Said goodbye to Bill, who had a 3 week holiday to look forward to, lucky man. There was a slight delay waiting for the walkway to be attached, but once it was we were on our way, quickly through immigration. No baggage to collect as we leave a 2nd set of clothes locked away at the villa, and through customs. We were picking the rental car up the next day as neither of us wanted to restrict our intake of alcohol, so we were soon sitting in a stretch limo (our treat, well we were flying Upper[:D])for the 1/2 hour journey to the villa.

It seems like an epic, but as it was the first time, I had so much to write. There is only one problem I can see now.......how can we ever fly Premium again[:?]
#320251 by Nottingham Nick
21 Nov 2005, 22:01
Thanks for the great TR, Elaine [y][y]

Another two candidates for the J class counselling service.

[:I][8D]

Nick
#320254 by DavidM
21 Nov 2005, 22:08
Yes, welcome to the ranks of the soooo dis-chuffed to fly in anything other than UCS, and thanks for a great trip report. Now, have you worked out the strategy for never flying anything but UC again? [}:)]

Best wishes

David
#320293 by Jimmy Mc
22 Nov 2005, 12:22
Good TR [8D]

Cant wait to join the ranks of UCS next year - 24 July cant come quick enough for me and the then bride [y]
#320300 by andrew.m.wright
22 Nov 2005, 13:40
Elaine,

Glad you enjoyed the experience.

What did you think of the Hilton ?

I ducked out of staying there recently after reading the somewhat mixed reports on tripadvisor.com, so it would be nice to know first hand on what its like !

Andrew.
#320301 by Littlejohn
22 Nov 2005, 13:54
Originally posted by ela123
There is only one problem I can see now.......how can we ever fly Premium again[:?]

'Hello. My name is ela123 and I'm a suitaholic' - Know the feeling well, particularly as we have a flight coming up at the back of the bus.

A very infectiously enthusiastic TR - Thanks. Glad you bagged a pair of pots!
#320306 by nmurrell
22 Nov 2005, 15:17
Great report we are flying out in ucs next may to orlando, we have booked rows 6 and 7 as we are flying with the kids,how will the choice of seats suit us being four of us.
regards nmurrell
#320326 by lilyjosh0
22 Nov 2005, 18:35
nmurrell, - a word of warning. It is possible for kids to catch the disease and become suiteaholics.[:#]My son has now turned into a spoiled brat and was completely horrified to find that he had to fly economy on an upcoming school trip. I can't wait for him to make his own way in the real world - he's going to come down to earth with a big bump[:o)]
#320329 by Littlejohn
22 Nov 2005, 18:52
Originally posted by lilyjosh0
My son has now turned into a spoiled brat

ROTFPMPL! Anyone else want to fess up to suitaholicism[:o)]
#320330 by ela123
22 Nov 2005, 18:55

I ducked out of staying there recently after reading the somewhat mixed reports on tripadvisor.com, so it would be nice to know first hand on what its like !

I saw those on tripadvisor. I stay at the Hilton before I go everytime and have always enjoyed it. It was especially good this time as I managed to have a Gold card (thanks to having a Flying club account [y])and got upgraded into the new executive wing. I was also able to use their lounge with 2 hours worth of free drinks...which I fully utilised!!!

Great report we are flying out in ucs next may to orlando, we have booked rows 6 and 7 as we are flying with the kids,how will the choice of seats suit us being four of us.

I'd say that these seats are certainly the best for you as a familly of 4.....row 6 definately my favourite as long as you know the person sitting opposite you...otherwise I'd feel a little bit close[:I]

Now, have you worked out the strategy for never flying anything but UC again?

The only strategy I can come up with is to win the Lottery.....I'd love to know of any other strategy I could use as I really am addicted now!!!!
#320334 by honey lamb
22 Nov 2005, 19:17
nmurrell, - a word of warning. It is possible for kids to catch the disease and become suitaholics.[:#]My son has now turned into a spoiled brat and was completely horrified to find that he had to fly economy on an upcoming school trip. I can't wait for him to make his own way in the real world - he's going to come down to earth with a big bump[:o)]

Same here with mine [:0] I have to force myself to fly Upper Class in order to indulge him [:w]
#320354 by paul_a142
22 Nov 2005, 20:46
Great TR Elaine.

My wife and I are doing exactly the same as you in January in the same seats LOL.[:)]

Sounds like you had a really good flight with excellent service, which is nice to read about after some of the latest reports I have read.

Andrew, we stayed at the Hilton in October and same as Elaine because I'm HH Gold got an upgrade to the refurbished wing, with full lounge access, [y] couldn't fault it.

Roll On January [y]

Regards

Paul
#320750 by mid-class
26 Nov 2005, 20:38
Hi Elaine.

nice to have met you on the flight.

great to read your trip report - hoped you would do it before we got home!!

Have to endorse all you said - after some of the recent reports I was wondering if things would be as good. (haven't flown UCS in nearly 2 years).

The full monty breakfast in the clubhouse was great - piping hot and served very promptly.

The crew were one of the best I have experienced - very attentive throughout the flight and I think you agree, a great atmosphere.

Perhaps for all the frequent travellers (and I was one for nearly 10 years) its easy to forget that for a business class experience UCS is still one of the best. Sure we can see the food service has declined and costs trimmed, but all on board our flight were full of praise.

Bill

PS have got piccy of the steak meal if anyone can tell me how to post it!
#320777 by sky
26 Nov 2005, 23:19
Originally posted by sailor99
My son has now turned into a spoiled brat

ROTFPMPL! Anyone else want to fess up to suitaholicism[:o)]

I have turned myself into a spoiled brat, and I like it [:D]
#320781 by ela123
27 Nov 2005, 00:17
Hi Bill

great to read your trip report - hoped you would do it before we got home!!

Well I had time considering you were away for a whole 3 weeks - most unfair. However we did get an extra 2 nights as our return flights were cancelled due to computer problems at Gatwick - not complaining though [;)]

Hope you enjoyed your holiday - We certainly did, hope to see you on another flight soon preferably in the pointy bit [y]
#320791 by buns
27 Nov 2005, 02:04
ela123

Thank for the very nice TR - like Mrs buns and I seems as though you have been enticed[}:)][}:)]

lilyjosh0

My son has now turned into a spoiled brat and was completely horrified to find that he had to fly economy on an upcoming school trip.

Funny you should say that, my friends two daughters still insist on going with mum and dad on holiday simply because they contiue to sample the finer things of life[;)][:D][;)]
#320822 by Treelo
27 Nov 2005, 21:15
Originally posted by buns4vs

Funny you should say that, my friends two daughters still insist on going with mum and dad on holiday simply because they contiue to sample the finer things of life[;)][:D][;)]

buns,

ain't that what mums and dads (and grandmas & granddads) are for[ii][:D]
#320938 by ChuckC
28 Nov 2005, 23:00
Elaine,
Tremendous report. Please fly more often as I enjoy reading your TRs!

Originally posted by mid-class
PS have got piccy of the steak meal if anyone can tell me how to post it!

Bill,
Have a look at the Photo Gallery upload page for directions.

Best regards,
Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic