Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239159 by csparker
29 Nov 2005, 10:36
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Gad, I hate a 5.30 pick up. The driver is pleasant enough, complains about Tristar's scheduling - he's come from sarf London when there are drivers more local to me...

Traffic is grim for about the last 20 miles to LHR. We're at drive thru about 7.30, and I'm in the CH by 7.45. Only time for an OJ before a haircut at 8am. This was promptly served by one of the regular CH staff (big-ish guy with a short haircut, who is pretty damm good). Haircut was much needed (possibly two months' growth!), but the two guys cutting at the seats next to mine did nothing to dispel any stereotypes one may have about male hairdressers. Very funny.

Haircut finished and I decide its time for a fry up. I check with Mr good waiter and he says there is time (at 8.45) for a full English before the flight (due off at 9.30) boards. No problem. OK, it wasn't cooked fresh (having arrived in 5 mins flat), but it was pretty damm good. Arrivals please take note - a full English would be great there rather than the current help yourself to solid sausages and bacon and spongy eggs. Also get beans, mushrooms grilled tomato. Mmmm fry up.

Turns out the flight is delayed by half an hour due to late inbound, so I hit the paper rack. I need some mental stimulation so try to find as many sudoku puzzles as I can. We're called about 9.20 to gate 36. Hiking boots on...

Aircraft is FAB - still in birthday suit. Settle into 11K, coat, jacket and suit bag are taken promptly and more OJ is delivered. Wait on stand for a short while then join the line to take off. Forgot to check how late we pushed back.

Skip breakfast on the plane and decide to go for a genuine Freedom experience and eat lunch at lunch time (GMT). Check out Seatback - no movie grabs me, so I watch some Office and Little Britain series 1. Lunch is a choice of steak or veg lasagne and I'm served 20 mins after I ask at the galley. I go for the lasagne which is usually pretty good (had it on my last three flights!). I've heard too many bad things about the steaks, though someone I see having one at the bar (who may be VS staff sitting in PE but invited to the bar for an UC meal) says theirs is good.

Seat flips up and I snooze for an hour or so. Soon we're on final approach. The pilot gives us 50 mins warning, so there is plenty of time to make a loo stop before it is belts on. Landing is OK, though it takes a while for the light to go off. Coats are delivered and we're off the plan smartly, albeit via the end of the pier show (gate 30 for those that know JFK). Another long walk...

Immigration wait is nothing unusual, but there is no luggage on the carousel when I get through. I don't have to wait too long, and my bag is the third that I see coming round the corner. Long lines to get through customs and another long line for the limo service. Some of the pax in front of me are being picked up in SUVs (possibly Navigators) rather than the more usual town car. A year or two back, one mate of mine was picked up in a Hummer. Don't know what this would be like, but it would be good to try one some time.

All in all, not too bad a flight. Worst bit was the movie selection, but rescued by the TV choice. Best bit was definitely the CH breakfast, both in terms of quality and what was needed at the time.
#320984 by Nottingham Nick
29 Nov 2005, 11:21
Thanks for the TR, I always enjoy your musings.

As a regular flier, I am surprised that there are still TV programmes that you haven't seen. The lack of rotation of the shows is a regular complaint from frequent fliers here.

Nick
#321141 by csparker
30 Nov 2005, 09:42
Not having seen TV programmes is a result of either:
- Not having time to watch at home
- Mrs csparker having different taste in TV
- Catching on to the bandwagon at programme 5 in a series of 6
- Not wanting to spend a whole flight sat on my large behind in a very comfortable UCS watching the box
- Mrs csparker having different taste in movies
#321203 by Scrooge
30 Nov 2005, 19:03
Originally posted by csparker
Not having seen TV programmes is a result of either:
- Not having time to watch at home
- Mrs csparker having different taste in TV
- Catching on to the bandwagon at programme 5 in a series of 6
- Not wanting to spend a whole flight sat on my large behind in a very comfortable UCS watching the box
- Mrs csparker having different taste in movies

is your wife related to mine by any chance?

thx for the TR.
#321362 by ChuckC
01 Dec 2005, 14:10
Good one, CS! Always enjoy your reports.

Chuck-
#321626 by JAT74L
04 Dec 2005, 01:10
Another most enjoyable TR CSP. Keep em coming!

Regards

John
Virgin Atlantic