Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#254870 by nevadakaz
17 Jun 2008, 06:52
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Check in was a little busy at 7.30am but after a few minutes I was called over to check in at a PE desk. Very friendly check in agent. I had to give my API again, which is strange. I supplied it online after booking in Jan, then got an email a couple of weeks ago asking for it again, again I entered it online. Not sure what has happened here, I also supplied the API for my mum and dad online who are flying out on June 26th, so I will see what happens with them. I have supplied API online many times so I cant imagine I didnt enter the details correctly, although anything is possible.

Off to the clubhouse, took a seat by the windows overlooking the tarmac and logged on to check my emails, I dont normally sit over here in the clubhouse but the sky lounge (upstairs) is closed off again, I didnt see any Zelebrtities using it so maybe there was another reason.

For the first time ever in a clubhouse I experienced poor service. This section was being served by an older lady, she was very abrupt when taking my order, she didnt respond to any of my pleases or thank yous. She seemed very cold and unfriendly. Later when somebody sat behind me, I heard her offering him the same abrupt service, oh well, no tip for you lady.

I had a 10 oclock at the Cowshed, I turned up about 9.55 filled in the form and was off to have a wonderful facial and eyebrow tidy. Excellent service.

Gate 34 was our gate, I left before the Clubhouse announced boarding, as I wanted to take a slow walk. Gate 34 seemed quite small. The few seats directly in front of the gate had been cordoned off for passengers boarding from wheelchairs. A Securicor worker was lining us up outside the cordon. Her grasp of the spoken English language was not too good and I heard a few mumbles and grumbles from passengers about the rude Virgin staff

Upper Class, PE and those requiring extra time to board were called, down the walkway and we had about a 15 min wait at the plane doors as the people from wheelchairs were boarded. No issue for me, but again I could hear mumbles and grumbles from further back, probably because they could not see what the hold up was.

Greeted by two friendly guys on the doors, who I later discover are the CSS for this flight..

Into 11a, the seat I chose online, and I am settled in quickly. A very friendly stewardess came by to offer a drink, I opt for an OJ and she is back within seconds offering to show me how the suite works. I stop her short as I already knew and she is onto the next passenger in 10a, providing the exact same speedy and friendly service. During the course of this flight, I would see this exceptional stewardess providing great service all around the cabin.

Pushed back at 11.28, taxied for about 10 mins, waited behind 3 other planes and I think we had lift off at 11.50.

For the first time in a loooooooong time, I was awake for takeoff. I am normally fast asleep by then. As soon as the seat belt lights were off, I was into bed and the land of nod within seconds.

Woke up after about 4 hours, dinner had been served but I had a bacon roll and a cup of tea off of the light bites menu. I tend to sleep for the majority of my flights, but here I was awake for the remainder of the journey. It was interesting watching the service as I had it in my mind to write my first trip report.

We had a celebrity onboard, somebody who might have been Z list in the mid 90s when she was an IT girl but now I imagine unknown outside of the pages of Heat et all. Coincidently I know her personally, although we are hardly friends, I wondered if I might make it the whole flight without her noticing me. Alas it was not to be. I did notice the Upper Class CSS chatting more often with her than his other passengers otherwise she received the same service as the rest of us whilst onboard.

V Port was malfunctioning, the entertainment option you chose did not correspond to the show that would play. Through trial and error the crew made a list of which options led to which movie or show. There is really nothing else they could do, no complaints from me, but maybe that is because I managed to watch the movies I wanted to see J

We touched down in LA about 30 mins early. Landed, taxied and departed very quickly, unfortunately we were behind an Air Newzealand 747 that must have just landed as the arrival hall was heaving. The queue at one time seemed to stretch back to the stairs and escalators that you come down into the hall. Luckily I was one of the first off of the plane and was in front of a border patrol officer within 40 mins.