Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#907315 by stagsfan
17 Jul 2015, 02:17
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
An early start, but all on time, so in the Clubhouse by 09:10. As per my post from the Clubhouse managed to knock over half a redhead, since I turned 50 my co-ordination has gone. Called about 11:10 and boarding pretty speedy. Champagne offered and taken (twice). Had managed to bag 12A/K so nice and cosy at the nose of the plane. Didn't lose them like bretty recently, will see what the return leg brings.

A few shenanigans with a family group but we weren't ask to move. Take off more or less on time. Dinner very nice (Salmon followed by Steak). Bit of an issue with desert containing almonds (no good for me) - but then I had ate enough already today (breakfast on the train and again in the clubhouse).

Knocked the drink on the head after lunch as driving later. Had a mini-burger, which I think is my favourite part of UC. Recognised as silver during the flight which was nice, especially as now back down at red.

Watched "The theory of everything" - very good. Tried to sleep a bit after that.

However, at the risk of being flamed to death.... It was hard to nod off. We had a 2 year old in the cabin, and she wasn't badly behaved, but she behaved as a 2 year old. So all chat at 90 decibels and then rising if ignored, when unhappy a few tears, and when bored running up and down. Like I say, not badly behaved (we have seen much worse), but hard to tune it out.

Arrived on time, and then 40 minutes at immigration, got the car, and then over 2 hours to get to Benecia for our first night. Stayed up till about 9.30pm, so up over 24 hours, but still wide awake in the night.

Now in North California, with Oregon to come, weather great. Writing this from the patio at the Bidwell Inn, Chester, CA, on my third Whisky and ginger of the (early) evening.
#907319 by Petmadness
17 Jul 2015, 07:58
Thanks for the TR. 5 stars all round is a always good to see. Have bagged 12A &K on my Ocrober Miami trip and had concerns about having a Bretty moment, so reassuring to see you not get moved :-D
Did a trip up from SF, through NorCal, Oregon , across to The Anacortes and up to YVRlast year and it was absolutely gorgeous, especially the islands.
Enjoy :cool:
#907320 by jfenney
17 Jul 2015, 08:04
Thank you for the TR I too love the burger on the flight even if I am full ,just one of those things :-D enjoy your trip and safe travels.
#907359 by Bretty
17 Jul 2015, 17:54
Glad you had a good trip, and kept your seats!! Enjoy the rest of your holiday :)
#907378 by lovevegas
18 Jul 2015, 10:01
Great report - we're flying out to vegas on Thursday and in order to try and cheer us up on the return flight home (we call it "gob on day" as no-one wants to come home) we've treated ourselves to upper class for the first time.

I'm going to add flames to the fire by saying that when our child was 2 years old we would never have dreamed of taking him into upper class. I know some airlines didn't used to allow children under a certain age to book business/upper class.

As you say - the child was just being a typical toddler and I feel for the parents as it's impossible to contain a child for such a long flight in their seat but many people save for a long time to enjoy the upper class experience and (as much as I adore children) if I had a 2 year old playing peek-a-boo and running constantly past my feet for a 10.5 hour flight I would not be a happy bunny !!!

My son is now 13 so will watch movies, play game and (hopefully!) have a snooze but as a child he had hyperactivity and I wouldn't have wanted to ruin the experience for others.

Sorry if I've offended people with these comments - just my personal view. I would of course be nice and civil to any mischievous toddler sat next to me but I can't say I'd be happy :-(
#907396 by stagsfan
19 Jul 2015, 01:40
When I said that I had seen much worse behaviour by a toddler, I was thinking of a flight last August to Verona. Only 2 hours but felt a lot longer.

My wife and I had aisle seats opposite each other, and two rows in front were a family. The little girl was not happy. During take-off, so 20-30 mins strapped in, she screamed at top volume, ear splitting. During the flight she was happy as larry, playing with some friends in the aisle. I could see the stewardesses were getting fed up.

So the decent started and she was strapped in again, cue more ear-splitting screaming and fighting to get out of the seat. But then one final act of defiance, and she threw the laminated safety card in the air, which sailed back two rows and landed in my wife's lap. However she couldn't see the little angel so had no idea where the gift had come from.
#907399 by lovevegas
19 Jul 2015, 08:24
It is so hard flying with young children and I do feel for the parents. My husband works in Holland and so for the past 13 years I've had to fly alone with my son who has autism and sadly he has screamed the cabin down on take off and landing. I've felt so embarrassed at times and felt everyone staring and heard them whispering. This is why I can't understand people who know they have lively toddlers booking into upper for a transatlantic flight. You know darn well that your delightful child will at some point annoy and upset other passengers and possibly ruin their experience. I assume they just don't care and if in PE are the sort of people who would fully recline their seat from take off to landing! Rant over (lol) 4 sleeps to Vegas. Better get packing! Fingers crossed no more Bush fires :-O
#909562 by virginjudy
06 Sep 2015, 01:49
Little buggers yapping/screaming on airplanes, plus snoring, deaf people conversing, FAs yacking (never in VS UC of course), snuffling & snorting ... since you never know, I travel with an MP3 and earphones always. No waiting, no worries ... the minute the noise starts, on they go. Rarely needed but sometimes required; I don't think I could keep it together without them.
#909581 by WPIL
06 Sep 2015, 13:47
Feeling a bit apprehensive about an upcoming trip with 2 toddlers in Upper. They are going to be sitting together in the nose and they will have tablets, food, books to keep them busy. No crayons, pens etc as they will drawer on the suites otherwise. Hoping that the early start, cab ride and 3 hours in the play room at Gatwick will tire them out for the journey. Have been lucky so far that the only passengers flying at the front who have been annoying have been drunks as opposed to kids, stilly annoying though but like a kid once they have got it out of the system that fall fast asleep!

The descent is normally the worst part of the flight with kids though, as well as keeping them strapped in. Should be looking forward to the flight but starting to dread, at least they won't be able to kick the seat in front, play peek a boo etc, really hoping there is another family in Upper that day as could be one hell of a kids party.
#910462 by vizbiz
22 Sep 2015, 12:12
stagsfan wrote:
However, at the risk of being flamed to death.... It was hard to nod off. We had a 2 year old in the cabin, and she wasn't badly behaved, but she behaved as a 2 year old. So all chat at 90 decibels and then rising if ignored, when unhappy a few tears, and when bored running up and down. Like I say, not badly behaved (we have seen much worse), but hard to tune it out.

Sorry, but unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as referred to below and teething etc., there are few excuses for the parents not taking FULL responsibility for their children's behaviour. We took two boisterous 3-yr olds to Australia, and felt obliged to keep them 100% under control/occupied etc for the benefit of the other travellers. We even wrapped up some presents/packages for them to unwrap at intervals "if they were good girls", boy did that work! Also, with iPads, IFE, colouring books, games, parents-to-occupy them, it should be possible to keep them pretty well under control. We had taken the decision to impose our toddlers on the other passengers, so we had an obligation to keep them under control - no ifs, buts or maybe's.
#910512 by hazban
22 Sep 2015, 20:18
I have complete sympathy with anyone who is subjected to a tantrum from a"terrible two".
One of our mot horrific trans Atlantic trips ever involved one of the little darlings, no rest, no sleep, because the darling was inconsolable!
Our Grandchildren would never cause these problems as they are shipped as freight in the hold!
>-(
Virgin Atlantic