Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#908402 by mdvipond
10 Aug 2015, 13:48
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
julmops wrote:Quite simply the most entertaining TR I've ever read. Love your style and now can't wait to read the return one ;)
Many thanks !

Mr. julmops, you are indeed very kind. Glad you enjoyed it.

pjh wrote:
whiterose wrote:Better and better! 'Mardy' - takes me straight back to childhood and being told "Stop being mardy". How on earth do non-Yorkshire folk (poor benighted souls) manage without such a useful word?

The ideal t-shirt here

Me and whiterose want one!

pjh wrote:
mdvipond wrote:
As for the 'missing' BA trip reports, the flights were nearly 2 years ago. I know (at least I think) I currently hold the record for 'longest time between trip and report' after our Hurricane Sandy affected US flights back in 2012, but I fear the little grey cells would struggle to remember what were, after all, two very unremarkable flights with BA. In a nutshell, however:

Uncomfortable seats, crazy layout of seats (the whole 'climbing over your neighbour thing is utter madness'), mardy crew, poor food (the only time I've ever had to send food back on a plane), no bar.

Reminds me of that joke "But apart from that, did you enjoy the theatre Mrs Lincoln?"

:-D

Well, it got us to Barbados and back, so (very little) credit where (very little) credit is due...
#908424 by Jacki
10 Aug 2015, 21:35
The Master never disappoints, although a tad disappointed that the unruly hang-glider won't be causing havoc again!
#908439 by mdvipond
11 Aug 2015, 11:57
northernhenry wrote:Also surprised to hear Hull has a University :D

As was I. Believe it or not, I have two good friends who went there; they both work at KFC now...

(Actually, one's an accountant and the other's a novelist, but let's not allow that to get in the way of our rank prejudices).
#908469 by pjh
11 Aug 2015, 21:07
On the issue of Hull I was going to point out that Philip Larkin was the University librarian at one time, but thinking on his poetry I'm not sure that's much of a recommendation.

But Lordy isn't CM the spit of his sister....
#908497 by TimCrawley
12 Aug 2015, 16:03
A great read where I'm not sure if I suffered a LOL overload or some new fangled emoji thingy that damages the facial muscles .... I'm sure some of the younger viewers can point out the right emoji for an oldie like me!

Only problem is how to make my overdue LGW-LAS TR from Monday (happy it wasn't Tuesday as those poor souls got a hefty delay) even 1% as entertaining through a fug of Vegas excess, maybe wait until I get back (hopefully not via Hull, it seems) .... thanks a lot for posting, like others can hardly wait for return TR.
#908501 by Bretty
12 Aug 2015, 17:11
Great pictures Mr Vipond, and chunky monkey looks a cheeky little fella. I am a bit concerned at your references to the "current Mrs Vipond" giving the impression she could be replaced at any time... I'm sure that's not what you mean, is it?
#908504 by tontybear
12 Aug 2015, 17:52
Bretty wrote:Great pictures Mr Vipond, and chunky monkey looks a cheeky little fella. I am a bit concerned at your references to the "current Mrs Vipond" giving the impression she could be replaced at any time... I'm sure that's not what you mean, is it?

You should hear what she says about him ;-) ;-)

Young CM looks far too settled in his UC seat. Perhaps it's genetic?? And I hope it will be many years before he leaves the tickets and passports in the hotel safe.
#908517 by honey lamb
12 Aug 2015, 22:09
Bretty wrote:Great pictures Mr Vipond, and chunky monkey looks a cheeky little fella. I am a bit concerned at your references to the "current Mrs Vipond" giving the impression she could be replaced at any time... I'm sure that's not what you mean, is it?

The good doctor Vipond (so called, I hasten to add, by an erstwhile V-Flyer because of his initials) has referred to the delightful Mrs Vipond (and she is delightful) as the current Mrs Vipond ever since the day he made an honest woman out of her. Says it keeps her on her toes. From what I know about her, I would say the reverse was true! ;-)

And to prove that the current Mrs Vipond is not alone in that request........

Mr Vipond - There's a return TR to be delivered - Chop! Chop!
#908531 by mdvipond
13 Aug 2015, 11:52
TimCrawley wrote:Only problem is how to make my overdue LGW-LAS TR from Monday (happy it wasn't Tuesday as those poor souls got a hefty delay) even 1% as entertaining through a fug of Vegas excess, maybe wait until I get back (hopefully not via Hull, it seems) .... thanks a lot for posting, like others can hardly wait for return TR.

Fug Of Vegas Excess. Fabulous name for a rock band, don't you think...?

Bretty wrote:I am a bit concerned at your references to the "current Mrs Vipond" giving the impression she could be replaced at any time... I'm sure that's not what you mean, is it?

What honey lamb said... ;-)

tontybear wrote:Young CM looks far too settled in his UC seat. Perhaps it's genetic?? And I hope it will be many years before he leaves the tickets and passports in the hotel safe.

Yes, it seems we produce children who are - almost literally - born to fly UC. As I understand it, the leaving of tickets and passports in hotel safes is a trait which is only present in maternal genes, so we'll have to wait and see if they've been handed on to our offspring.

honey lamb wrote:Mr Vipond - There's a return TR to be delivered - Chop! Chop!

It's 'work in progress', Baroness. Will have it on your desk soonest.
#909546 by mrsw
05 Sep 2015, 18:56
Late to read this, but what a masterpiece!

It's great to read about how you and "current Mrs Vipond" began your journey with VS, and it very much reminded me of our own. Funnily enough, ours had also started with VS messing us about, and dealing with it brilliantly. We had arrived at T3 on Good Friday of 2013, very excited to have been on our way out to NYC (and then Maui) for our honeymoon (in economy). However, we were denied boarding due to an overbooking, so were put onto the next available flight 7 hours later... in UC! What's more, we were also given one of those red vouchers each, which, a few months later, enabled us with our first adventure to the Caribbean :cool: Since then, we've been pretty loyal VS customers!

Anyway, I digress. I very much look forward to reading the return TR. Will there be any incidents waiting for us within it? :-P
#910429 by honey lamb
21 Sep 2015, 18:50
RLF wrote:Am I correct in thinking that the return journey is still a masterpiece under creation???

I think a gentle reminder from me is in order! ;-)
#910732 by Concorde RIP
28 Sep 2015, 15:59
How on earth did I miss this one for so long.......well, actually, it has to do with this new-fangled website! I used to rely heavily on the "Active Topics" section, and haven't adjusted to the vastly reduced "Recent topics" section - my problem, not a criticism.

Great to see you back on form with VS-UC TrRs, it was like winding back the years!

And, no Tarquin in sight etc.

Have I missed the return TR as well

HL is "flying again", so you may get a rest-bite but I really wouldn't rely on that, if I were you!

I noticed you weren't at the usual Treasure Beech - would be interested in your impressions of the new accommodation....

Anyway, a lot of fun to read one of your terrific TRs once again.

What is this "Hull" everyone keeps talking about, I think I heard of somewhere called that once, but assumed at had disappeared, much like Atlatis...
#910734 by pjh
28 Sep 2015, 17:59
Concorde RIP wrote:How on earth did I miss this one for so long.......well, actually, it has to do with this new-fangled website! I used to rely heavily on the "Active Topics" section, and haven't adjusted to the vastly reduced "Recent topics" section - my problem, not a criticism.

Now you come to mention it, I hadn't noticed that the "View Active Topics" page appears to be limited to a single page....
#910739 by honey lamb
28 Sep 2015, 20:14
Concorde RIP wrote:nh

Have I missed the return TR as well

No you haven't. The good man received a stern reprimand as a recent birthday present from me. Another one is in order
Virgin Atlantic