Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#908945 by sungod
23 Aug 2015, 13:10
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
this is my first long-ish haul flight since my injury, so work coughed up for UC, it was an I ticket too so i could get the limo transfer and DTCI

car was waiting outside when i looked about ten minutes early, i headed out and aside from a bit of slow traffic a reasonable and comfy journey to LHR

DTCI was fast and friendly, first time i've used it, enjoyed the theatre

did a bit of shopping, then headed to the CH, no one at the front door but they appeared after about 30 seconds

went to the gallery and staked out a table and sofa, set up my laptop etc., expected the usual quick check from one of the staff but after ten+ minutes no one had been yet and i was starting to feel dry, so i went to the deli for some nibbles, then the bar to order drinks

finshed the bubbly and had another long wait before i could order another one, had my shoes shined, time passed and it was CH burger time, i took to asking for another glass before i finished the current one, didn't work

i headed to the gate when the flight was called and boarded, considerably less bubblied up than i can ever recall after a CH visit

the drinks tray was proferred as i sat down, but it was whatever they now serve instead of champagne, sweet and watery after the lanson, got into a sleep suit before the rush started, had a second glass but found it tough going

UC was almost full, 2-3 empty perhaps, someone was watching a film on an ipad without earphones, grrr

we took off on time, as soon as the seatbelt sign was off converted to bed, donned eye shades and ear plugs, positioned myself to try and avoid my feet getting knocked in the night and got a few hours sleep

with the full cabin the CC were pretty busy getting breakfast done, i had my cornflakes then changed out of the sleepsuit and did my best to ignore the noise from the woman who wore the headphones around her neck turned up loud, grrrr

no AU recognition/welcome back chat etc., but that's not unusual

we landed about 30 minutes early, no queue at immigration, maybe a 5 minute wait for bags at the carousel

as i came out of customs, i saw a couple of ladies one with a VS sign and the other in VS colours, they greeted me and walked me to the waiting car, speedy transfer to the hotel, they gave me a suite upgrade at checkin which was a nice surprise, was on a sunbed by the pool 90 minutes after landing :)

ever since the CH it wasn't the UC experience i'd expected, two good transfers, but the bit in the middle needs work!
#908950 by joeyc
23 Aug 2015, 13:52
Cheers for the TR.

Sounds like a bit of a let down for UC ... Poor service in the CH, no real pop with regards to the onboard service and annoying fellow UC pax - ok, that last one isn't really the fault of VS but you'd think if someone is disturbing the whole cabin watching films out loud or have the volume turned way up on the headphones around their neck one of the CC would address the issues.

A shame, but you don't appear to have let it spoil your view of VS too much, perhaps a message off to Crawley towers detailing how the trip didn't measure up to what you expected might make them have a look at service on the route and in the CH.

Enjoy your time in Dubai :cool:
#908951 by hiljil
23 Aug 2015, 14:01
Thank you for the TR. So sorry the flight didn't live up to expectation and that things were a bit slow in the CH, but good news at least about the quick transfer and suite upgrade.
#908959 by sungod
23 Aug 2015, 17:53
tbh i was in two minds

the flight arrived ahead of schedule, i was comfy enough that i didn't limp off the plane which was my main desire, an hour in an office chair hurts me more than the dream suite!

it just felt a bit flat otherwise, but i'll still take VS over EK on this route (unless there's a first in the offing...)

wednesday i fly back, daytime, i think it'll be a less busy flight so hoping for a good one!
#908963 by buns
23 Aug 2015, 18:37
Thanks for the TR.

I am with Joey here - VS ought to be maintaining service levels throughout and you are giving them the benefit of the doubt which is letting them off the hook.

BTW, where are you staying??

buns
#908973 by Bretty
24 Aug 2015, 00:24
I agree with buns and joey too, a quick email to Crawley Towers lets them know that standards aren't what were expected or what they want either.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
#908974 by sungod
24 Aug 2015, 05:21
buns wrote:...
BTW, where are you staying??

at the fourpoints downtown

the rooftop pool area is good for the location, and in cooler months it's a nice backstreet walk to the office (which is just west of burjuman metro), plus i know where all the bits are, which helps me get from checkin to sunbed in minimum time :)

i will follow us with VS as suggested
#909547 by mrsw
05 Sep 2015, 19:05
Thank you for the TR.

The journey sounds a little disappointing - but as you say at least you managed to get some rest given your injury.

How annoying was that pax who was not using headphones on a red eye flight?! Part of me thinks that the CC should have intervened.

I'm with you on the EK vs VS judgement on the DXB route, as well, though my DXB work trip days are now over (due to a job move). Whilst it's a great career move, I will sure miss the VS400 :-(
#909561 by virginjudy
06 Sep 2015, 01:26
Very interesting comments about the service at the Heathrow ClubHouse. Last two of my visits I have felt ignored by the service people, after the original glass of Lanson and a snack, none of them ever ask me if I want anything ... I have to flag them down. That's really annoying when trying to get some work done.

I'm leaning towards the fact that I'm female, I noticed the servers stopping by many male passengers to see if they wanted anything. I'm always dressed in biz clothes so it surprised me to be ignored. I'll be there with my husband in a couple of weeks, so will see if that makes a difference.

OMG, I just noticed my name on this forum ... it's from a formula that I follow to try to keep track of sign-ons and passwords, not an indication of my ... uh, my whatever.
Virgin Atlantic