Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#909167 by horburyflyer
29 Aug 2015, 17:18
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So having flown into Atlanta for a business trip and travelled a little around the US - I managed to squeeze in a really brief visit to Florida and stayed at the Hilton Bonnet Creek.

Though time was very limited we fitted in a visit to Magic Kingdom for dinner and even had some great pool time. We really like the Hilton Bonnet Creek, they always look after us, we had a great room to watch the fireworks over at Epcot and DHS and the regular shuttles make life very easy.

Anyway back to the flight and having secured a 1600 check out we headed over to the airport area and I made my first visit to Cracker Barrel to the great amusement of my US friends which was interesting especially the fried apples.

Arrived into the airport just after 1800 for my flight at 2025 and had a short wait as someone was ahead of me at the UC check in area. When I reached the desk, was quickly processed and the agent was super nice and friendly.

Lounge pass in hand was told to head for the 'Clear' section as usual which I did and my documents were checked without fuss and I then joined the end of the queue from the other lanes which were rather slow...

Anyway across on the monorail and some items to purchase in duty-free I made my way to the Delta Sky club which was rather quiet. It all was all rather civilised despite four full international flights still to leave and a few Delta one's.

Didn't have anything to eat as completely stuffed from my earlier dining experience but ordered a gin and tonic and refreshing it was too.

I drifted down to the gate at 1930 having seen enough of Delta Sky Club's for one week.....it made interesting viewing as three flights next to each other (all 744s) were trying to board and make announcements at the same time. Finally boarding came at 1955 for the VS074 and priority boarding was strictly in operation.

'Jersey Girl' was waiting for me as I was the first one on despite picking up duty-free at the gate and taking my time. The special assistance passengers were already on board.

Welcomed at the door with ' I am sure you know where you are going' and I made my way to 12A which had the amenity kit and bottle of water waiting for me.

The CSS came along and introduced herself - she was an incredibly friendly North West girl who was full of energy and it wasn't long before she was calling passengers by their first names. Champagne was quickly offered, followed by a refill, newspapers and sleep suits.

Chaos then descended on the A zone as everyone's seats apart from my own had all been shuffled and the CSS was doing her best to get people seated and sorted, not helped by the woman who wanted to sit at the other side of the cabin to her two kids and husband so she could "sleep"!

After much huffing and puffing and promises that customer relations will be in touch we were all settled and pushed away from the gate at 2024 with 451 passengers and 18 crew.

Hats off to the Orlando ground team for getting all those people on board the aircraft quickly, even if some were in the wrong seats!

Airborne at 2044 with a flight time of 7hrs30mins promised. Hot towels were quickly distributed followed by a personal welcome by the FSM who went around the cabin and introduced herself to everyone with the menu's. She was another LHR based FSM helping in MAN for a couple of months. She wasn't particularly enjoying the Orlando flights....

Drinks dispatched with vegetable crisps with refills and more refills offered if you so wished. Service was super friendly, informal though very efficient.

Tables were set for dinner at 2200 and with only half the cabin wishing to take part we took a vote to keep the cabin lights on purple 'romantic'!! - I did notice that Flying Food now cater these flights rather than gate gourmet....

Wine, water and bread were regularly topped up and the menu choices were. The menu cycle is about to change though this menu was valid for VS6/16/28/50/72/74/76/118/162

Ginger carrot soup
Heirloom tomato salad with raspberry vinaigrette
Beet cured Alaskan salmon
Beef fillet
Chicken Yakitori
Paneer Makhni
Blue cheese and walnut salad with prawns
Apple tarte tatin
Crunchy praline
Cheese and port

I had the tomato salad with was fresh, well chilled and tasty with the vinaigrette. The beef fillet was delicious and came with potato gratin, roasted peppers, wilted spinach and a lovely bordelaise sauce.

Skipping the cheese as I was once again rather stuffed I picked at the apple tarte tatin which came with ice-cream.

It was then lights out completely and bed down for a couple of hours. I woke with an hour to go with breakfast being served around me. I settled for just a coffee and juice.

Though the full works were available with pancakes, pastries, fruit, cereals and of course bacon butty's. My coffee and juice were refreshed without asking which was nice.

It was then time to land which we did at 0905 though had to wait for 35mins for a gate to become available as the Singapore 77W on the stand was having a passenger issue.

When we did reach the gate it was a manual disembarkation as the airbridge was out of service. This was the signal for one of the kids in UC throw up everywhere though the CC were excellent once again.

Through the airport in no time at all with the my case waiting for me on the belt. Aircraft to the arrivals hall in 8mins flat - fantastic.

So come's to an end another VS flight. A really good one at that with a very engaged CSS who was simply fantastic. An FSM who was highly visible in UC all flight long, was friendly and did lead by example.

Thankfully not too long to wait until my next flight which based on my experiences this month can't come soon enough.

Thanks for reading.

Jon
#909169 by David
29 Aug 2015, 17:53
Jon,

Another great TR !

It never ceases to amaze me how the staff at MCO deal with up to 5 full jumbos during their busy season with few issues, which are mostly fixed even though most of the passengers are grumpy when finishes their holidays ;-)

Just a few days till my next trip via ATL then down to MCO for 2 and a bit weeks. :-D which has been hugely complicated by some changes in a weeks time.

If your around In the sunshine state before the end of Sept, it might be time for a beer :D

Thanks again

David
#909172 by jfenney
29 Aug 2015, 18:35
Thanks
For a great TR and update on the Menu I am away in November and my calendar been on countdown since I booked . Great to hear the FSM,s are taking a lead and always when they do that you have a great flight . :-D
#909176 by hiljil
29 Aug 2015, 18:58
Thank you for an enjoyable TR.

Did the woman manage to get a seat away from her brood ?! I am always amazed when parents think it is ok for them to have a quiet seat away from their children - never mind the other passengers !!!
#909183 by horburyflyer
29 Aug 2015, 23:03
David wrote:Jon,

Another great TR !

It never ceases to amaze me how the staff at MCO deal with up to 5 full jumbos during their busy season with few issues, which are mostly fixed even though most of the passengers are grumpy when finishes their holidays ;-)

Just a few days till my next trip via ATL then down to MCO for 2 and a bit weeks. :-D which has been hugely complicated by some changes in a weeks time.

If your around In the sunshine state before the end of Sept, it might be time for a beer :D

Thanks again

David

Thanks David, you are well and truly into your countdown now and all complications have been overcome!

I am back in the sunshine state on 26th September arriving again through ATL so will drop you a PM.

Jon
#909184 by horburyflyer
29 Aug 2015, 23:07
hiljil wrote:Thank you for an enjoyable TR.

Did the woman manage to get a seat away from her brood ?! I am always amazed when parents think it is ok for them to have a quiet seat away from their children - never mind the other passengers !!!

She did. She refused to sit in 9K (next to her kids) where the table was inoperable. This meant a chap sat there but dined with his wife who was sat in 11A. The couple were given a £50 duty-free voucher for the fuss .

That said the woman ended up in 10A and after take-off simply reclined the bed and went to sleep, why she couldn't do that in 9K is a mystery!
#909198 by David
30 Aug 2015, 09:00
Jon,

On a side note. I am arriving into ATL on the VS103 at 14.00. Looking to book the DL109 leaving at 16.55 to MCO.

Do you think that will give me enough time ? (flights are on separate tickets)

thanks

David
#909226 by CHill710
30 Aug 2015, 15:22

On a side note. I am arriving into ATL on the VS103 at 14.00. Looking to book the DL109 leaving at 16.55 to MCO.

thanks

David

I am on the VS103&DL109 on the 12th I am on one booking but will type up trip reports sometime soon after landing in Orlando to report back for you.
#909227 by Hev60
30 Aug 2015, 16:55
dickydotcom wrote:Thanks for the TR.
Sadly my countdown to MCO is still 174 days away.

Dick D

At least the soggy sunshine state may have dried out by then :cool:
#909230 by David
30 Aug 2015, 17:43
CHill710 wrote:

thanks

David

I am on the VS103&DL109 on the 12th I am on one booking but will type up trip reports sometime soon after landing in Orlando to report back for you.

Thanks Chris, but I'm out on the 10th lol.

David
#909231 by CHill710
30 Aug 2015, 17:52
David wrote:
CHill710 wrote:

thanks

David

Thanks Chris, but I'm out on the 10th lol.

David

Let me know how you get on then. :-P
#909261 by horburyflyer
31 Aug 2015, 13:13

thanks

David

David, I think that will be just fine. Assuming even though on two tickets, you will be asking at LHR to check you all the way through?

APC was a huge help as we know and though we arrived behind the Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt it was all seamless. I was due to arrive at 1445 and leave at 1635 to my next destination and though we arrived early (1415) I was in concourse A by 1515 which I thought was pretty impressive considering I had to get through immigration, pick up the bag and then recheck at the connecting centre to the left as you come away from customs.

Jon
#909267 by buns
31 Aug 2015, 16:24
Jon

Thank you for a super TR on a route I am very familar with ;-)

It is good to know that you share my admiration of the ground team at Orlando, who as your rightly say, keep a firm grip on multiple departures in a relatively short space of time. Whilst some might argue that they are now used to it, to do it day after day deserves our admiration!!

To have a good crew as well means that your VS experience was just loke it is in the advertising :-D

Thanks once again and apologies for being late to the party

buns
Virgin Atlantic