Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#910148 by Petmadness
16 Sep 2015, 21:10
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
VS 24 LAX-LHR

On the eve of our flight, from our hotel room in Marina Del Rey I started OLCI after remembering 10 minutes after it opened. Adding Mrs P to the checkin process slowed it down a tad but I thought that was a priority. A message popped up saying that our seats had changed to 16G&K. Feeling a little aggrieved as I specifically chose seats as Mrs P can be an anxious flyer, I tweeted VS and received no answer. After a 10 hour legendary sleep, I woke to the realisation that, hey, I'm still lucky enough to be flying UC!

Feeling fresh as a daisy, we finalised shopping, went to Manhattan Beach for a stroll (loved that place) & went for an early evening dinner at the Cheesecake Factory in Redondo Beach. From there it was off to drop the rental car off, bag drop (where it was confirmed that one of the seat tables were broken which is why we were moved) - there was a. Queue in the UC desk and this was well managed, then into the LAX CH. We had been advised that the wifi was not working but could use the Air Canada lounge if we needed wifi use. We settled in and found a lovely spot by the window viewing the VS A346 to take us home.
image.jpg
LAX CH
image.jpg (294.77 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

image.jpg
Sunset & Aeroplanes in LAX
image.jpg (27.92 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

A great crew in the lounge, very friendly & warm a real credit to VS. We found the CH like being in somebody's front lounge - relaxed, not too big and fresh. Think they had other wiring issues as our lights flickered and our server apologised and said that they turned them off. A few cocktails later (some not on the menu but mixed up anyway by the barmen) and it was time to board.

Priority boarding very much in place as they're was the usual scrum in the boarding area. Met by a very smiling CC at the door, another at our seats with champagne & pyjamas and warmly welcomed by the CSS. We also noted that we had an unaccompanied minor in 17K and he was getting plenty of attention :-)

We pushed back a few minutes early and the Captain informed us of a 9hr 58 mins flight time so it should get us in at 16.45. There were 300 passengers and 12 crew onboard. More out of interest than anything, I had a peak down the cabin and saw that our original seats were both taken by non-crew looking people (didn't know how to say older in a PC way!). No visible sign of the FSM yet but we have just taken off and she has introduced herself over the PA system.

Our CC came around to take drink orders when we were airborne and it was a nice touch that we (& all the pax) were referred to by name. I also noticed that there must have been an AU a few seats up as she was referred to by name the entire flight. Drinks taken, menus handed out and orders for dinner received (2 hours) - pax in the seats in front of us thought dinner should have been served earlier as they wanted to sleep as it was served about 2.5 hours in.

Can't remember the whole menu but I selected the Beef Ribs and mash for main and that was really excellent. I do remember that dessert was a choice between warm chocolate brownie and red velvet cake, followed by cheese selection with port. I didn't have anything else as it was time to sleep.

The seat change did affect us as we were a lot closer to the bar and all the noise associated with that. Saying that, after 7 hours in & out sleep we were told that our descent into London was imminent. Once again I had missed breakfast but wasn't bothered. Up to freshen up, put everything away and ready for a quick deplane. A slight circle around LHR as we were early which led to a decent photo and we hit the Tarmac in good time!

image.jpg
Back to London already!
image.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

Once again a good flight, actually better than good in UC! A fine environment to relax, indulge then fall asleep in great comfort. Already looking forward to MIA in October in UC
#910153 by WPIL
16 Sep 2015, 21:36
Sounds like crew were spot on. Not had to do LAX for a while, is that the new dedicated Virgin lounge? Do they have showers. Always loved the old ANZ lounge, rubbish airport but great lounge with lovely sunset/runway views.
#910156 by Petmadness
16 Sep 2015, 21:51
WPIL wrote:Sounds like crew were spot on. Not had to do LAX for a while, is that the new dedicated Virgin lounge? Do they have showers. Always loved the old ANZ lounge, rubbish airport but great lounge with lovely sunset/runway views.

As I was tardy posting the TR I can't remember if the CH had showers, though I think it did! It was the new CH at LAX, which I thought was a lovely, fresh space to spend a couple of hours in. The CH crew were fab as well as the onboard CC but I would've liked to have seen the FSM a bit more active in UC
#910164 by TimCrawley
16 Sep 2015, 23:42
Had to recheck the title as was thinking that was the new SYD CH you were in for a minute ...

Enjoyed all your trip reports, thanks a lot for posting - that extra legroom on the HNL flight was a real bargain!
Virgin Atlantic