Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#910183 by ColOrd
17 Sep 2015, 13:16
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So I started planning this trip about 18 months ago, needing to do something amazing for my 30th Birthday and something which would be totally out of this world, a three week long tour around the USA pretty much hit all of the bases, taking in some of the cities I have always wanted to go to, and ending up back in Miami a city I fell in love with a few years ago.

Managed to get a snip of a deal ex Dublin, to Los Angeles on the 23 and back from Miami on the 6.

Stayed at the Doubletree Heathrow, lovely little hotel, and the staff were great, my car was booked for 0900.

It was very surreal using the drive through check in, I really did feel like some A-Lister with two member of staff there to greet me and take all of the cases. I knew this was going to be a good trip when I had rang the wing that morning to book the slot and the guy on the desk had said "Oh happy birthday for next week, we've heard all about it" although I think a few tweets to VS from my best friend might have tipped them off ;-)

Private security channel was great, I have never had such a friendly chatting security agent in my life, she was really amazing, obviously not a Virgin employee, but she was really proud about working on the VS private channel! I was a dofus and left a bottle of aftershave in the bottom of my laptop bag, it was no big deal and dealt with very professionally and after it was tested all was good!

A quick walk along to the CH, and what a sight to be greeted with those lovely marble stairs to heaven! The crappy American Admirals club underneath looked sorry for itself in comparison.

I was in the CH by about 0930, and I did think briefly "I am gonna be bored in an hour as my flight doesn't board till 15:00" yeah, how wrong I was!

I started with a Bucks Fizz and and Club House breakfast, nicely customized with an extra sausage and no mushroom without fuss. Was really delicious. I was sat right at the bottom end of the clubhouse at this stage in the green sofas at the bottom. Two or three more Bucks Fizz and I decided to go for a little shopping in the terminal, a few bits I needed for the upcoming 4 days on a train as part of this trip, and treated myself to a new aftershave and some choccies for the crew!

Back to the CH, and it was a little busier by this time about 11, but I managed to find seats this time near the Spa, Second Breakfast ordered, and started on the redheads, mixed with the occasional Redwing both of which were equally amazing! Went in the jacuzzi for a little bit, very surreal experience, but equally lovely!

Then had a facial, and into the Brasserie for dinner, Fish Cake starter, CH Burger and salted caramel ice cream. Loved the CH burger! Then up to the loft, a few more Redheads and down to the bar for a few glasses of Lanson, a chat with the staff, and met a lady who was on the same flight as me and a fellow northerner so we sat and were quite tipsy by the time we boarded.

Boarding was from gate 19, and for UC was through L1 door which was lovely, but I feel robbed, not getting to board and turn left!! ;-) Greeted by name by the FSM, who again mentioned my birthday which made me feel amazing! She wasn't in the UC cabin that much, but seemed to float a lot between all three cabins and was present managing and directing the service and crew.

I had G-VWIN, Lady Luck which is one of the ones that has had the "refresh" the leather facings all felt new, but as already reported, the IFE is still a bit shocking, the lady next to mine had to have an ipad, but I do think she had a better experience with it than the rest of us did. I didn't watch anything as there was nothing that really appealed, I did start to watch The Duff, but it was shockingly bad, not VS's fault though!! The IFE was used for the map for most of the journey.

I had four Pre Departure champers! Is that a V-Flyer record? The member of crew looking after our side of the cabin really did seem to give it her all and she looked after me constantly. The suite is lovely, and sitting back with your feet up as you take off was great! Who would every choose to fly any other way now?

Once up in the air the captain announced a flying time of 11hrs 11 mins, and there was 13 crew and I am sure 260 passengers on board. Wandering through the cabins, and talking to my fellow UC'ers I would say there was an even split between UK and US passengers!

I had a Tomato and Mozzarella salad to start, and the chicken for main. The chicken was very tender and moist, and the veg and lentils it went with were good! Chocolate cheesecake was scrumptious, and the fruity Chardonnay that the girls were plying me with was never ending it seemed! Then the cheese trolley and I did notice that the crew were using this to interact a lot more with the other passengers, so it took a while, but it wasn't a problem as it was all part of the personal touch.

What felt like my own personal member of crew was plying me with some Funkin Cocktail mix they had on the bar and a variety of different spirits, so I decided it was time to be social and go and experience the bar itself, again it blew me away, was chatting to an actor who used to be in Hollyoaks, who was in PE who was allowed to use the bar for a little bit, but did eventually get kicked back to PE but he was a load of fun. Round the bar we had two guys who were back from their honeymoon having been to Italy who gave me some fab tips for things to do in LA! We all sat chatting for at least 2-3 hours and working our way through a couple of bottles of Gardet which I personally didn't mind! I had a Graze burger, just the right size to fill the hole after dinner and sober up a little as we got closer to LA.

Afternoon Tea was fab, not a lot to it, but the theater of it all was fantastic, and another chance for the crew to shine, some of the cakes were a bit plain, but the Raspberry battenburg was amazing, could have easily had that twice or three times!!

Throughout the whole flight, I did notice that the crew were sweeping through the cabin doing drinks and making people comfortable, there was never a point where they actually said "this is a drinks run" but it was just all seamless and constant, no one wanted for anything, well, except a former US sitcom actress was in 1D who moved to 2D and 3D and was in full on diva mode! I didn't recognize her and neither did half of the crew, and it was only when another passenger at the bar had a moan about her did it all click for most of us who she was!

I loved the landing in LA, we flew out over the Hollywood hills flying east bound to line up for a westbound arrival which gave some fantastic views over LA.

The whole UC experience from limo through to stepping foot off the plane was worth it, it was really amazing, and for me reminded my why I love Virgin, they just have the fun, the spunk and the sass that other airlines just cannot match, I was so underwhelmed by my BA Club Europe experience the previous day!!

One grip: 260 passengers and for the none US passengers....two immigration officers!! I was about 20th of the aircraft, and there was a flight from Mexico ahead of us which was on its last 30-40 people to clear, so it took about 45 mins, but I felt sorry for anyone sitting at the back!!

Only problem now is; I'm never going to be able to travel in any other cabin now!!!

Off to Santa Monica today, will try to get some pics added soon!!
#910184 by jfenney
17 Sep 2015, 14:08
Thanks for a great TR , sounds as though your friend had told everyone of your upcoming birthday. It is amazing how when things are done right how positive you feel after the flight and I agree you leave the plane smiling :-D compared to Ryan air >-( .

Have a great break and enjoy Santa Monica we stayed just 1 night but loved it there and it will be a lot harder not turning right :-D
#910186 by TimCrawley
17 Sep 2015, 14:17
Enjoyed the detailed trip report, thanks for posting.

After such a long wait for your UC experience it's great news that it all worked out so perfectly with a great crew and, mainly, good fellow passengers - pity the Diva couldn't appreciate the experience (some people are never happy, it seems, which kind of makes you feel sorry for them).

You certainly took full advantage of everything at the CH, problem is we'll all start customising our breakfast from now on :-)

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
#910200 by pjh
17 Sep 2015, 18:42
Great TR and what a 30th birthday present to self. Enjoy Santa Monica (it's a while since we've been, but for a few years we were there every summer) and the rest of your US adventure.
#910201 by mallin
17 Sep 2015, 18:56
Have good time in LA LA Land, its great celebrity watching we have had some good ones on board. Am missing the clubhouse and will do so for some considerable time as we are on the dark side as can get reward seats with them to places Virgin do not go.

You were lucky getting two agents last year we had two then one went on a break leaving one and we were next in the line and he had a problem with the people in front went away to get his supervisor, very frustrating you could make a comedy film from the goings on.
#910204 by Petmadness
17 Sep 2015, 19:14
Fabulous TR for a fantastic flight :-D It really sounds like the CC pulled all the stops out for your flight, so good to hear! Very impressed with the alcohol consumption throughout the whole experience too, true V-Flyer fashion!

Now to enjoy the delights of the rest of your holiday. If you can, try to get down to Manhattan and Hermosa Beaches....much better than the deteriorating Venice Beach IMHO.

Jealous, me, never :cool:
#910212 by honey lamb
17 Sep 2015, 21:29
Lovely TR! Your excitement came through and I was as excited for you! Enjoy the rest of your trip. We look forward to hearing all about it.

Now do tell - who was the former US sitcom actress? :-D
#910220 by Bretty
17 Sep 2015, 22:09
Ladies and Gentlemen we have us here another convert... :cool:

Thanks for a super TR, as HL says, your excitement shines through and you obviously had a good time. And like a good v-flyer you arrived at the clubhouse with plenty of time to enjoy, and my oh my, didn't you just! A few redheads, red wings, lansons... but you ate plenty to soak it all up. And 4 pre-flight glasses of champoo? Epic.

I'm really pleased everything worked out, considering how many of us have followed your planning thi trip, so I hope you have a super time, and look forward to regular updates.

+1 for sharing who the diva was. She's a public figure you can tell us her name. But, if she's an obscure one you might have to tell us what she was in!!
#910317 by mrsw
19 Sep 2015, 19:07
Great TR, and it sounds like you were well looked after. We are heading to sfo tomorrow in upper (ex-dub) for my hubby 's 30th next week! Perhaps I should tweet VS now...!

Enjoy the rest of your trip, and happy birthday!
#910320 by DragonLady
19 Sep 2015, 19:26
Great TR - Katy Segal is way more famous for her Gemma Teller role in Sons of Anarchy . Loved that she was a complete diva as I spent some time at the bar last year on the VS 07 with Charlie Hunnam ( Jackson Teller in Sons of Anarchy) who was a complete sweetheart and so low profile ( nobody recognised him including me initially lol ). The fawning crew gave the game away :)

DL
#910526 by ultreen1
22 Sep 2015, 23:22
Great TR and some nice pics! I rembember you initially posting about this trip, it's come around so fast. I'm glad you enjoyed and it looks like you're converted.
Simon is 30 next year so we're trying to plan something on the west coast but we can't book anything untill January, just hope it's not to late to get a decent price. "Princess and Joan" only turn left now...as I said to Simon the other day..."no UC, no holiday" :-D

Don't think I'm not mentioning how much you knocked back!!! I'm impressed...very impressed!! I think you could drink me under the table...if ever we're on the same flight look out!!
D
#910932 by ColOrd
02 Oct 2015, 17:46
I have to admit that when I was walking along to actually board the plane, I did think "Jesus H Christ I am wrecked" although I did refrain from hugging the FSM and telling her I loved her...although only just!!

Quite depressing now, sat in the DoubleTree on the North shore of Miami beach just chilling before we go to MIA for the flight back, VS5, with VHOT is on time, however we have just had a bit of drama:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Poss ... 15701.html

Which is right next door!!
#910947 by ultreen1
02 Oct 2015, 22:47
Have fun flying back on belle! When I flew back from MIA on her we had a onesie party at the bar!
Don't forget duty free...very cheap in MIA!
D
Virgin Atlantic