Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#910658 by Daffodil
26 Sep 2015, 11:39
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Arrived at check-in and ground staff spotted our gold card luggage tag and directed us straight to the Upper class check-in desk. We had already done on-line check-in the day before ( seq. 9 &10 ) and had seats 20 A&C in PE .
The young gentleman at the desk was charming and friendly. I enquired if the bulk head seats 18 A&C were still free which they were and he changed them for us , so I came away very happy with seats 18 A & C.
We walked over to the side to sort out our hand luggage when we were approached by a member of the ground staff, she asked which cabin we were flying in to which we replied PE. She wanted to know if we would be interested in upgrading to Upper Class for the special price of £825 each, I told her that was too much, I could have got it for that price at the time of booking. She went away and very quickly came back offering the upgrade for £825 for the two of us, this time Mr D was interested ( he often gets excited when extra leg room seats are involved being 6ft tall ) I asked if there were two seats available on the side, she went to find the seat plan and all that was left was one on the side and one in the middle. So I declined the offer still happy with my bulk head seats in PE for a day flight of just over 7 hours, also realising they must be oversold and we might still be in with a chance of better price upgrade later on .
We made our way to the business lounge, which is OK but not great. We left when the flight was called. On arriving at the gate we saw the girl who had tried to sell us the upgrades and asked if she had managed to sell them to which she replied " yes" just as the magic bleep went off on our boarding cards. We had been upgraded to Upper Class seats 2A &2D the very seats she had tried to sell us.
We boarded the flight and I very nearly forgot to turn left! Handed a glass of sparkling wine but no refill even though we were a long time preparing for take off, which was eventually 35 minutes late due to congestion.
The cabin crew were OK but they didn't sparkle, they didn't interact with the passengers, nobody was referred to by name. They just did what they needed to and very little was seen of the FSM who seemed to hide around the front toilet / cockpit area (staff room) - Passengers were discouraged from using the front toilets. We were surprised to see the cockpit door open for long periods of the flight.
The food was again fine but not outstanding. We had much better in business class on Turkish and Malaysian airlines.
Still I was very grateful for the upgrade so am very loathe to criticize.
We circled over Heathrow for 25 minutes before landing and eventually landed 25 minutes late.
Large queues at border control, but I have just renewed my passport so we were able to use the scanner which was much quicker. Luggage was there waiting for us at the baggage carousel, so straight off to pick up the car from Business Purple Parking and set off on the long trek home down the M4.
#910662 by marshy11
26 Sep 2015, 12:56
Thanks for taking the time to post your TR. How lovely to be tempted by the upgrade (paid) and then actually get the gate ping for free!

As always seems to be the case, the crew make the flight. Such a shame to hear they didn't sparkle as they should. But, at least you could stretch out and enjoy the space without any cost.

Hopefully the M4 wasn't too busy.
#910750 by Daffodil
29 Sep 2015, 11:08
Thank you marshy11 for taking the time to read my trip report and posting a reply. It was a lovely treat to be given a free upgrade to Upper class, especially as it was a holiday to celebrate my birthday.
Unfortunately the M4 was quite busy adding 30 minutes longer than usual to our journey.
#910752 by marshy11
29 Sep 2015, 12:22
Belated Happy Birthday!
#910758 by mallin
29 Sep 2015, 13:24
Congratulations on your birthday and the upgrade. I wasn't sure on reading that you were on a virgin flight not very good if you had paid the full price. Glad you had a good holiday you have brought some warmth back to the UK did not think we would still be having BBQ's end Sept/Oct, had put the sun loungers away and brought them out again.

It got over 20c in our little patch yesterday .LInda :cool:
#910760 by hiljil
29 Sep 2015, 13:33
Thank you for the TR and also, a belated Happy Birthday from me too.

How lovely to get that free upgrade . Just a pity that the rest of the flight wasn't that memorable.
#910771 by David
29 Sep 2015, 14:41
Hi Daffodil,

Must have mist thing one when you posted - did you have the new menu coming back - I experienced it yesterday - had the soup and the chicken and both were very (very) strongly flavoured.

Thew crew did say it was a new menu but don't know if they meant that day or that week ?

thanks

David
#910830 by Daffodil
30 Sep 2015, 14:45
Thanks Marshy11, Linda and hiljil for the belated birthday wishes.

David wrote -Hi Daffodil,

Must have mist thing one when you posted - did you have the new menu coming back - I experienced it yesterday - had the soup and the chicken and both were very (very) strongly flavoured.

Thew crew did say it was a new menu but don't know if they meant that day or that week ?

Hi David,
I'm not sure if it was the new menu. The soup was Cream of zucchinni and the chicken was Chengtu chicken, a spicy stir fry. I had the Thai style shrimp, which was 3 cold prawns and a little salsa, followed by the Beef steak with stilton rarebit, which was tender on one side and though on the other and finished off with Baked cheesecake.
Does that sound like it might be the new menu?
#910836 by jfenney
30 Sep 2015, 16:50
Thanks for the TR Marie and congrats for the upgrade and holding out . Cannot wait for our hols in 6 weeks and to let you know I managed to bag some free day passes for Sandals Barbados to look around and eat and drink for the day :-D .
#910839 by LucyLu
30 Sep 2015, 17:15
jfenney wrote:Thanks for the TR Marie and congrats for the upgrade and holding out . Cannot wait for our hols in 6 weeks and to let you know I managed to bag some free day passes for Sandals Barbados to look around and eat and drink for the day :-D .

How do you bag free day passes to Sandals BGI jfenney? Would love to have a look around as I used to stay there back in the Casuarina days.
#910841 by jfenney
30 Sep 2015, 17:26
LucyLu wrote:
jfenney wrote:Thanks for the TR Marie and congrats for the upgrade and holding out . Cannot wait for our hols in 6 weeks and to let you know I managed to bag some free day passes for Sandals Barbados to look around and eat and drink for the day :-D .

How do you bag free day passes to Sandals BGI jfenney? Would love to have a look around as I used to stay there back in the Casuarina days.

Had a cancelled holiday earlier in the year and wrote to the General Manager and he agreed to free passes but they should cost $150 each . If your willing to pay then just emails Sanadals
#910872 by Daffodil
01 Oct 2015, 11:27
Jfenney wrote:-
Cannot wait for our hols in 6 weeks and to let you know I managed to bag some free day passes for Sandals Barbados to look around and eat and drink for the day

Well done Jurgen on bagging the free day passes to Sandals Barbados I was disappointed with the small footprint and beach area there, but the restaurants and room was great . Looking forward to Sandals Antigua in November , last time we were there was 2006 just before they had opened the Mediterranean Village.
Virgin Atlantic