Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#910664 by horburyflyer
26 Sep 2015, 13:29
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So managing to squeeze in a little R&R before a busy couple of months occur at work having travelled through ATL previously and it's so seamless it really was a no-brainer to look again at ATL for when heading down to Florida.

This was also relevant as the MAN-MCO flights are down to 1 a day during this part of the year and UC & PE were already solidly booked on the date I wanted to travel on the direct option not surprisingly as I booked only a short time before.

Getting to MAN was by train taking the 0631 from West Yorkshire arriving into the airport at 0740 which included a 10min schedule padding wait at Piccadilly. Quickly across to T2 and only a short wait at the UC desk where I was looked after by the superb Swissport team (the same team thankfully who regularly checked me in for my 'many' Little Red flights)....in fact because of ATL and this very team I have switched most of my regular LH flying to MAN these days.

The fastlane was seamless and fast and I was through security in minutes even though the main-lines were very busy.

Picked up some pre-ordered currency and headed up to the Escape lounge (Too) which is the dedicated lounge for the VS109 and DL235. The other VS flights use the main Escape lounge. I posted a quick hello so won't go into detail here but the food offer is light as we know but the service 'top-notch' including the regular host who knows his regulars well and makes you feel like you have made his day.....not realising he has just made yours!

I left the lounge early as it was crowded so arrived at gate 210 at 0940 just as the VS109 was called. Priority boarding strictly in operation and after a quick chat and goodbye to my Swispport friends I was welcomed at the door by a crew member I have flown with a couple of times who welcomed me by name.

Taking my seat in 4K I was quickly offered champagne by the crew member who looking after my side of the cabin. She was great throughout. The new design amenity kit was on the seat along with the headsets.

The cabin quickly filled up and despite being told J was full- we had one broken seat out of use of course and two spare seats.....more on that shortly!

By 1015 we were ready to go and with all 215 passengers and 13 crew on board the captain confirmed a smooth flight (which it was) and a flight time of 8hrs54mins so wanted to try and leave early to make up sometime. We did pushing back at 1017 and airborne at 1038.

Hot towels were offered quickly followed by bottles of water and the orders taken for a drink. My regular G&T arrived with crisps. Drinks were regularly topped up but sadly the crisps were not!

This was a busy flight and I have flown with the FSM and CSS before but neither stopped by to say hello and though they were visible in the service in UC -from previous experiences they are both 'under the radar' crew who are professional and friendly when you need to directly engage but they don't have that VS sparkle. Sadly this flight they were no different.

Their shortcomings were more than made up by the three other CC working in UC who were super friendly, attentive and when chatting at the bar later in the flight really proud to work for VS.

Tables for lunch were set at 1200 and here is the menu:

Leek and potato soup
Prawn, avocado and tomato tian
Tomato and mozzarella salad
Fillet steak with potato Rosti, red onions, and carrot purée
Free range roast chicken with puy lentils, broccoli, chorizo and truffle oil
Thai vegetable curry
Salmon fishcake
Warm brioche and butter pudding and double cream
White and dark chocolate cheesecake
Cheese and port

Extra bites were: Classic gourmet beef burger, honey and soy chicken, warm spinach and ricotta quiche, cold charcuterie and warm vegetable pakoras and samosas.

I had the tomato and mozzarella salad which was a rather small portion and needed a dressing of some kind.

image.jpg
image.jpg (249.08 KiB) Viewed 2750 times

The fillet steak was delicious and I enjoyed every mouthful.

image.jpg
image.jpg (232.22 KiB) Viewed 2750 times

The brioche and butter pudding was amazing followed by quite a divine cheese selection. The crew regularly topped up wine and water and it was a really leisurely service which I think always works well. With tables cleared it was time for a snooze which lasted about an hour or so and then I made it to the bar for a drink, chat, drink and more chat....

The crew were always in the cabin offering drinks. The bar was set up with snacks, fruit, bottles of water and extra bites were being proactively offered. An hour or so I decided to order the pakoras and samosas which were lovely and timed this well as the ice-cream service soon followed.

Remember those two spare seats....well they were made up as beds and the crew took turns to use them for periods through the flight. I wast sure how I felt about this as it was across the aisle for me. No-one else seemed bothered but I did think it was one of those things working crew don't do like sit at the UC bar which I have seem more than once...! I guess the seats were empty and with no rest areas on the A333 it's an option but I have been on many light loaded flights on the A333 and have never seen this before...?

With a little more sleep the afternoon tea service began 1hr15mins out from Atlanta. This included: Hot smoked poached salmon, Cheese and pickle and egg mayonnaise sandwiches. The sandwiches though a little dry hit the stop. The cakes which get smaller by each menu cycle change were Banana and passion cream slice, raspberry and orange battenberg and farmhouse cake.

Things were rounded off nicely with warm scones, cream and jam and regular top-ups of coffee in a mug in my case which was piping hot, compared to the tea.

With the cabin secure just time for the lovehearts and then touchdown at 1425 into a very rainy and miserable Atlanta. Saying goodbye to the crew I was then through immigration in great time (minutes) and picking up my bag for the next stage of my journey....one thing for sure using Atlanta once again for my travels was seamless and quick.

Overall a good flight with the hard working CC making up for the rather 'under the radar' FSM and CSS. The entertainment options are now so US based I spend little time with it though enjoyed the Second best marigold hotel which kept me entertained and having worked in India for quite sometime it was rather emotional, just like the first one!

Thanks for reading

Jon
Last edited by horburyflyer on 29 Sep 2015, 13:55, edited 3 times in total.
#910667 by virginboy747
26 Sep 2015, 15:02
Glad you had a good flight. As regard the crew using seats for their rest this was negotiated by their union during their last pay talks so that on aircraft with no crew rest area crew are allowed to use spare passenger seats. Other airlines do this too including BA
#910668 by Petmadness
26 Sep 2015, 16:05
Another super detailed TR, thanks for posting so promptly Jon. Good to hear the CC were on good form as this really makes the flight. I've also had 2 flights lately with under the radar FSM's, again doing what they need to but lacking that little pizazz!

As for the crew resting in the seats, now Virginboy had put us in the picture, it makes sense but I'm not sure how I would've felt either. Now I know, though, that is is an official procedure so it will make sense :-D

Thanks again Jon :cool:
#910669 by horburyflyer
26 Sep 2015, 16:14
virginboy747 wrote:Glad you had a good flight. As regard the crew using seats for their rest this was negotiated by their union during their last pay talks so that on aircraft with no crew rest area crew are allowed to use spare passenger seats. Other airlines do this too including BA

Excellent, thanks for the insight. I haven't seen this before so it stood out as 'different' but appreciate the heads up.
#910671 by Donkeh
26 Sep 2015, 18:45
Thanks for the TR.

I've seen a few threads recently with people praising the route through ATL. I've used it a number of times, including the new international arrivals terminal - and every time (I kid you not) - I have just managed to get to the plane before it leaves the gate due to the time spent waiting for customs and immigration.

Interesting that you guys are not finding this!
#910685 by David
26 Sep 2015, 23:50
Jon

Sounds like another good trip via ATL. Wonder if you (and I ) were lucky with immigration or if the others were unlucky.

The weathers been a little mixed and quite humid but still a nice place to be for a break :D

Enjoys your time in the sun

David
#910723 by fusionblue
28 Sep 2015, 12:21
Thanks for the TR. I'm flying LHR-ATL in about a month in upper so its good to see how things are!

As mentioned above i had a pretty sour experience with customs/immigration and reaching connecting flights so late.

When you landed in ATL did you go to the ESTA machines or did you queue up like everyone else?

Last time i flew in, in April, it was all not-US passengers to the humans and US-passengers to the ESTA machines. I'm hoping ESTA users can actually use them now?
#910730 by Donkeh
28 Sep 2015, 14:56
SlimpyJones wrote:I was able to use them on my last two visits (April & May this year) on my ESTA. Note it was only repeat use ESTAs (i.e. used it once before already) that were eligible to use it.

I've seen this statement a couple of times and while I don't have first hand experience, I believe it is slightly wrong. My understanding from having read the CBP website is that as long as you have visited the USA since 2008, when they began photographing and finger-printing, then you are eligible to use the machines.

From the CBP website...

Who Is Eligible to Use APC?

U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/a ... ontrol-apc
#910761 by horburyflyer
29 Sep 2015, 13:33
fusionblue wrote:Thanks for the TR. I'm flying LHR-ATL in about a month in upper so its good to see how things are!

As mentioned above i had a pretty sour experience with customs/immigration and reaching connecting flights so late.

When you landed in ATL did you go to the ESTA machines or did you queue up like everyone else?

Last time i flew in, in April, it was all not-US passengers to the humans and US-passengers to the ESTA machines. I'm hoping ESTA users can actually use them now?

When arriving in the US I always use the APC kiosks which are a godsend. Plenty of staff around to guide you in ATL too.
#910762 by horburyflyer
29 Sep 2015, 13:38
David wrote:Jon

Sounds like another good trip via ATL. Wonder if you (and I ) were lucky with immigration or if the others were unlucky.

The weathers been a little mixed and quite humid but still a nice place to be for a break :D

Enjoys your time in the sun

David

I had heard the horror stories myself before I started coming through ATL so I wasn't really looking forward to it when I first came through. That said, I have been through a few times now since March and never encountered any delays or difficulties. We may have been very lucky but it seems very well organised and I've always arrived around 1430 which seems to be ahead of the 'Delta' wave of flights from Europe.

The only other flight in the arrivals hall has been the Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt.

Jon
Virgin Atlantic