Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#911058 by CHill710
05 Oct 2015, 12:00
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
As I heard little red would be coming to an end I decided that I would make an attempt to be on one of the last flights. I was on the first and last little red flights from Manchester and decided that Edinburgh was easier to get back to London from without using BA as they were overpriced at the time I looked, I therefore decided Little Red north and Virgin Trains East Coast first class for the return to London.
I drove from my home in Dorset and parked my car at LHR where after lunch and a wander around the airport I met up with Sealink who was on the Aberdeen flight.
I stopped by the checking desk to pick up a proper boarding pass and to ask if I could guest Sealink in to the AerLingus lounge on my VS gold status even though he was on the other flight. Much to my surprise they said yes and issued a pass with a +1. :-D

Priority security as usual for LHR was a bit on the slow side but looking at the lines on the normal side it was still quicker than the standard line.

We proceeded to the lounge where we sat watching aircraft taking off and enjoyed a few drinks
and nibbles.

Just before boarding we went in to boots to grab a sandwich as VS had issued each passenger with a £5 voucher as there was no catering on these last flights.

I was one of the last to board the flight to EDI and found half of the passengers onboard ha VS lanyards and ID cards on and a good atmosphere onboard. I had chosen seat 29A (the back row) and found all around me were off duty VS crew. The senior celery member working at the back of the aircraft recognised me and had a brief chat before we pushed back.

A brief announcement was made from the flight deck saying that as this was the last flight to Edinburgh we may have some special treatment before the safety demonstration was given and we pushed back.

As soon as the seatbelt signs were turned off it became like a party in the back galley to which the crew invited me to join in. With Krispy Creme donuts and laughs with the crew, at one point I asked if it was a compitition to see how many crew you can fit in to a galley on the A320, to which I was informed you can get 3 crew in an overhead locker!!

Shortly before landing the flight deck made an announcement thanking all the frequent pax and first timers on this flight and explained that on arrival the airport fire service would make a water cannon salute marking the end of little red and thanking the crew.

This was followed by the crew handing out love hearts sweets (I seem to have a case full of them!) and handing out anything not bolted down that said Virgin Atlantic little red (I have some safety cards that were handed to me as a souvenir)

On landing the crew made a quite emotional address thanking all passengers and flying club members (Gold, Silver, and especially Red) for making the service successful for the last two and a half years.
We then arrived in stand for a shower from the fire brigade and then were met at the bottom of the aircraft steps with some bagpipe music and the ground crew handing out more sweets.

video clip of approach landing and taxi to gate with water cannon salute here

Before I left the aircraft the senior crew member said to all the crew around me to look after me if they saw me on Big Red as I was one of little reds frequent pax. :D.

I cannot thank the Little Red crews enough for making flying fun and for allowing me to get my Gold status for the last two years (after a couple of weekends flying 5 sector days). Little red will be missed by a lot of its passengers especially now that BA have the monopoly on all domestic flights to LHR for the first time since BMI was created in 1982 (now part of BA) removing competition and pushing up demand and prices.
it’s off to Virgin Trains when i want a weekend break now, just a shame they don't give tier points.

Thank you Little Red for being a 'little splash of red in a weary world of grey'

I hope to see some of the crew on 'Big Red' long haul services soon.
#911120 by AlphaEcho
06 Oct 2015, 10:57
Chris,

I did the VS3010 down from EDI on the 26th so we probably passed each other somewhere over mid England. I also got 29A for my return flight and sat next to a couple of Virgin Cabin Crew trainers who were on the flight and had a nice chat with them until the cabin crew decided it was about time they did some work! Nice bit of role reversal.

It was quite an emotional time for the crew leaving EDI and all the ground staff lined up next to the boarding gate on the ramp and waived us off, no piper for us, the crew on board thought he was meant to be there but weren't 100% sure.

Flight was fully catered which was a surprise as the VS3007 I was on earlier up to EDI wasn't and we got the standard £5 voucher but only when we got off at EDI.

There must be a few of us now with Little Red safety cards as the VS3010 was the last LR flight for that aircraft and they were also being handed out discreetly if you asked.

Sorry to see them go as I loved every single flight I took with them.

Thanks for the great trip report.
#911168 by Bretty
07 Oct 2015, 00:00
Great TR Chris, thanks for posting. Though I never got to fly LR I am saddened the service has gone, but I suppose the numbers don't add up and decisions have to be made. End of an era and all that.
#911172 by hiljil
07 Oct 2015, 00:58
Thank you for your TR, which, I must admit, brought a lump to my throat.
So glad it was suitably memorable for you ....
#911174 by jfenney
07 Oct 2015, 07:42
Thanks for the TR Chris, gutted I could not have been on the flight but sounds as little red had a good send off.
Virgin Atlantic