Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#911130 by mrsw
06 Oct 2015, 14:40
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After spending a day in Dublin, it’s time for the “real trip” to start. I booked this trip many months ago as hubby’s 30th celebration, and we have both been looking forward to it big time especially as it’s our first paid for UC trip (having enjoyed an op-up a couple of years ago), as well as our first ever road trip! Goodness knows how much time I’ve spent planning, tweaking, fine tuning and colour coding the very detailed itinerary. I’d like to thank every v-flyer who helped me in my planning stage both online and via PM (special thanks to Hev60, who I have not managed to thank yet by PM after the site upgrade). We had an amazing trip. I digress, as the actual trip will be discussed for the return TR.

We had a fun day in Dublin, before heading home for the night. We had a rather disturbed sleep, however, as we realised after coming home at almost 11pm that our TomTom Go 5100 not only required hours to switch over to American maps, it also needed our input every couple of hours (to either confirm an action, restart, etc)… Reluctantly we set our alarms for every couple of hours throughout the night, and took turns to keep it going. With some luck, by about 5pm the maps fully downloaded, and we were able to sleep for another hour and a half before getting up and ready for our taxi.

DTCI had been arranged over the phone two days ago (without any issues, I should add, given my slight concern over our eligibility to use it due to it being an ex-DUB itinerary), and I called up when in the taxi to provide the vehicle details. However, upon arrival, there’s a queue of 3 cars in front for the DTCI barrier! After a wait of around 5 minutes (thankfully our taxi driver was most patient, and I think that part of him really wanted to see what was on the other side, too), we were allowed in. It looked like DTCI was having a very busy/chaotic morning, as no boarding passes were ready for us, and we had to drag our own luggage to the bag drop. The check-in lady was nice and friendly, though, and was pleasantly surprised that we only had one checked bag between us for a 2-week trip.

A bit of a shaky start, I thought. Security was nice and fast, and we were walking up those marble stairs before we knew it. The CH was pretty busy at 7:30am, but what an amazing place! In the typical v-flyer manner, we walked over to the spa to get our treatments booked, and 9am they were to be. It was time for breakfast, and a much needed coffee. We sat down in one of the booths, and a CH lady came to check that we would be ok sharing it with others as it was busy. Of course we would be happy to, we responded. And a couple of mins later, a retired couple came and joined us. We all ordered our breakfast and beverages, and then spent the next half an hour or so enjoying great company and vacation-related conversation whilst waiting for the food. They were off to Boston and New England, and had arrived by CDC all the way from Birmingham, before flying with Delta shortly after breakfast. It was a very long wait for breakfast, and there was also some mix-up with beverages for the other couple. I also didn’t find the CH lady to be all that friendly. Once the food came, though, everything was delicious, and it all got better from there :-) . We said goodbye and bon voyage to the lovely couple, as they were boarding, and moved to the spa area to enjoy a nice steam shower (separately, before anyone asks!) before our treatments.

The treatments were fabulous. I had the bumble and bumble conditioning treatment (couldn't believe how soft my hair was for days afterwards), followed by a trigger point massage, and hubby enjoyed a haircut and a safety shave. As someone who is not terribly keen on being pampered and fussed on, he very much enjoyed both treatments, and looked very dapper when the therapists were done with him :blush: . All the therapists were very friendly and also very good, and my trigger point massage was excellent. At the end the lady gave me a massage ball to purchase if I wanted (for a discounted £4.25) as my shoulder knots were so bad, and a great purchase that was as I used it almost every day during the trip.

We spent the next hour sipping cocktails (I tried the Red Head of course and the Lady V – both absolutely delicious), and checking out a few different areas including the “garden” and the loft. We loved the chairs that hang from the ceilings, and had a few brief chat with fellow pax, many of whom didn’t even know (or believe) that there was a spa! Oh how they were missing out! Time flew by, and before long it was our turn to board.

You know how sometimes you have let yourself build up a huge expectation for something, when it comes you are nervous that you would be disappointed? That’s exactly how I felt as I headed to the gate. What if the crew is not very engaging, what if someone else takes our 12A/K seats? :-O We were greeted warmly at the door, with champagne offered and accepted.

First impression of the seats wasn’t great, as hubby’s seat refused to move at all, and there was quite a bit of wear and tear with broken bits and bobs. Tinkerbelle is showing her age, sadly. That said, I was very happy to have got our bums on a LHR 744 before they retired, so shouldn’t complain.

As we sipped our champagne (which we didn’t mind too much, but that could be that we didn’t have a Lanson in the CH), the FSM came to introduce herself. This was the first time my AG status was recognised :cool: , and I knew from there that it was going to be a great flight. She was very bubbly, and managed to fix hubby’s seat by, you guessed it, turning it off and back on ;-) .

We had the best flight. Sure, the Vera is a bit old and the screen not the sharpest, and the seats a little worn, but the service really made up for it. All the CC were extremely friendly and helpful, and nothing was too much trouble. There were drink and food offers non-stop. Dinner was very tasty. I had prawns and avocado to start, followed by a Thai vegetable curry. This may have been my first vegetarian main that I’ve had on a flight, and it was really very nice indeed. I also appreciated that the CC didn’t bat an eyelid when they came to clear the tables and that the salt and pepper shakers were not there ;-) .

When I was waiting for the loo in the galley, I had a quiet word with the FSM to say that this was a special birthday trip for the hubby, and asked whether a CC could kindly mention it and wish him an early happy birthday. She gave me a wink and promised to sort something out.

I had a little sleep after dinner (after getting over how hot it was under the duvet), as I was absolutely wiped out from the Dublin day trip (with a very early start the day before) followed by the TomTom drama, and felt much more refreshed after a couple of hours rest. A quick glance over 12K showed no sign of the hubby, and I knew instantly where he would be found – at the bar! I proceeded to join him, and his new friend who was a very successful chap in the IT industry travelling to SFO for a business conference. We spent the next 3 or 4 hours at the bar chatting about all sorts. As a FC gold and a frequent flyer on BA First, he claimed to often find himself enjoy UC more than BA First.

We also had a few nice chats with the CC at the bar. They seemed genuinely excited about our road trip, and were amused by my fear about the bears in Yosemite. It was a very pleasant few hours, with drinks constantly topped up, and burgers consumed (man they were delicious! How do they manage to make it so yummy on a plane?) As hubby puts it, the CC were great “enablers”. I was quite surprised that on such a long flight, they only get one break of an hour or so each.

It was during that time when the FSM appeared with a hamper including a bottle of prosecco, together with some Thai crackers, chocolates and sweets for the hubby to wish me a happy birthday. It was so much more than I had hoped for (which was a nice birthday message), and the lovely surprise was really appreciated by him. :D

As the CC was getting ready to serve afternoon tea, they needed to take records of the amount of alcohol that was left. This seemed like a painful process especially as it was constantly changing. During this process one of the CC asked, “which aircraft are we on?”, I whispered back “VBIG, Tinkerbelle” before hubby could shoot me a “you are embarrassing me” look :-P

Time flew by at the bar, and soon it was time to go back to our seats, as afternoon tea was served. Hubby had a mixture of everything, whereas I went for the salmon sandwiches and a Battenberg and a couple of mini farmhouse cakes. They were all pretty nice. Shortly afterwards, we were preparing for landing, which is when the IFE had simply had enough and completely stopped working altogether for the whole plane. Thankfully I was kept entertained by the beautiful views from the window, and better still, a live commentary of what I’m seeing from a lovely chap in 13A who is a pilot of smaller planes and is very familiar with the route. I will upload some photos shortly.

As the CC checked our seatbelt for landing, she wished us a great road trip once again. Landing was pretty smooth, though I felt that it was a little bit more wobbly since where were right at the front. I recall a recent question here about motion sickness and sitting upfront – for the record, as someone who suffers quite badly from motion sickness (eg I still felt a bit disoriented at the Top of the World in Vegas even after taking Dramamine), I found the flight completely fine without the need of any tablets. :D

Just before we disembarked, the nice man from the bar came over to us with a piece of paper with his details on, and asked us to give him a call/email if we needed any help when we were in the US. What a lovely chap!

We felt genuinely sad that our flight was ending, as we had such a great time. As we disembarked, we thanked the CC wholeheartedly, and were met with even more “have a lovely trip” messages, plus one special message of “be careful with the bears!” which made us both chuckle. :-D

When on the ground, there was only a small queue at immigration (so much so that I didn’t bother with the self-service machines), and once we went through our bag was already on the conveyor belt waiting for us. Within less than 30 minutes we were on the Bart towards Montgomery Street. We were returning to the Omni, and were welcomed back at check-in as Select Guests and upgraded even though both of our stays had been booked via a third party website. We were pretty tired at this point, and just as I was getting ready for bed, the hubby pulled out the mug from his bag! As it turned out the hubby had a quiet word with a CC when I was asleep, to explain how obsessed I had been with both VS and the mug, and they happily gave one to him. Apparently the CC also tried giving him some salt & pepper shakers, before hubby explained that we already have a full shelf of those :-D .

Overall it was a really wonderful experience. Although I was slightly underwhelmed on the ground experience by a few elements, this was more than compensated for by the in-flight experience. It was the best start that we could’ve hoped for for our road trip.

Return TR (with blurb of the road trip) to follow.
#911133 by Bretty
06 Oct 2015, 15:33
MrsW thank you for such a wonderful TR, you're enthusiasm and that of the CC came through and I'm sat at my desk (supposedly working!) and I've had a good laugh to lift my spirits. Once again the message that the CC, and especially a good FSM, makes the flight is clear. And no cheesy meals. Pity about the DTCI but I think that was one of the concerns of it being opened up to anyone on VS / Delta business class pax and elites being able to turn up unannounced, that it would get too busy and the service would be affected. Let's hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Great service by the CC, especially with the birthday message for hubby. Makes it all really special. I can't wait to read about your roadtrip. I'm not brave enough for anything like that. I've thought about it, but then my hubby quickly quashes the idea as he would be terrified with me driving on the wrong side of the road, so we don't do it!

I loved the Omni when we were there (thanks to your recommendation to me). We've booked again for next year, but I've got 2 other hotels booked also and am going to watch prices and see. Anyway, post the return TR soon please :)
#911135 by buns
06 Oct 2015, 15:44
Thank you for a super TR.

I am so glad that your planning and expectation all came to fruition - it would appear that the early morning rush at the DTCI and Clubhouse caught the staff on the hop so to speak, but it does prove a flag to others who may think the place is empty when it opens ;-)

A good flight experience can make up for any disappointment along the way

Thanks once again

buns
#911138 by Hev60
06 Oct 2015, 17:35
Hi Mrsw. Great trip report and I am so pleased everything came up to your expectations.

The DTCI is an experience in itself, shame you had to deal with your own luggage. I remember the look on our taxi driver's face when the bags were whipped out of his boot, tagged and were gone in speedy time. Perhaps next time!! your drive up will be a little better organised. So pleased you enjoyed the CH and it sounds as you made good use of the time there.

I really hope your crew are as good on the return because sometimes TR's have commented that the homeboundcrew can be a bit of a let down. However the outbound crew over to SFO certainly sounded brilliant and responded very well to hubby's birthday and what a nice gesture regarding your VS mug.

Really looking forward to reading about your road trip. The Californian weather has looked wonderful ever since we returned but hey ho. Hope you enjoyed the City before heading off. That first view of Alcartraz and the GGBridge is simply fantastic I think.

ps Glad some of my advice was helpful. Hev
#911149 by mrsw
06 Oct 2015, 19:27
I think I've figured it out... 8-)
Attachments
IMAG0522.jpg
Mug - 1
IMAG0522.jpg (110.57 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
IMAG0452.jpg
Afternoon tea
IMAG0452.jpg (111.06 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
IMAG0448.jpg
Lady V
IMAG0448.jpg (74.07 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
#911150 by mrsw
06 Oct 2015, 19:29
Final one
Attachments
IMAG0480.jpg
View of Golden Gate Bridge
IMAG0480.jpg (124.3 KiB) Viewed 4978 times
IMAG0475.jpg
View of San Fran from 12A
IMAG0475.jpg (96.74 KiB) Viewed 4978 times
IMAG0521.jpg
Mug - the other side
IMAG0521.jpg (108.57 KiB) Viewed 4978 times
#911152 by mrsw
06 Oct 2015, 19:39
Bretty wrote:And no cheesy meals.

I can't wait to read about your roadtrip. I'm not brave enough for anything like that. I've thought about it, but then my hubby quickly quashes the idea as he would be terrified with me driving on the wrong side of the road, so we don't do it!

I loved the Omni when we were there (thanks to your recommendation to me). We've booked again for next year, but I've got 2 other hotels booked also and am going to watch prices and see. Anyway, post the return TR soon please :)

I'm very impressed you remembered my fear of flying with cheese :-P

I've started to write about the road trip, and I think it's going to be a long post so will post it separately from the return TR for everyone's sanity. On the driving -- I think my hubby is a natural at driving (he disagrees) but anyone who vaguely knows me will tell you that I am a terrible, terribe driver. I got my licence over 8 years ago, and didn't drive for the first 7 (because , well, I can't). A couple of months ago I had moved jobs, and drove a manual car to the interviews. Let's just say that on my first day all the security guys remembered me, as I'm "the infamous Alice" whose parking footage had gone viral within security (and who knows where else!) Long story short (sorry), now having bought an automatic car and started driving to work, and if we ignore the two "unfortunate incidents" in the first 2 weeks of driving, I seem to have managed driving an hour each way everyday, and have shared 20% (hubby says 15% but we agree to disagree on that one) of the driving in this road trip!! I found that it is a lot more relaxed driving in the US, with the only caveat on within the city limit of LA. All I'm saying is don't lose hope - you may just manage it.

Finally, I really enjoyed my stay again at the Omni, and am pleased to have been helpful :-) I had booked 4 hotels for San Fran (well, actually 3, but had two separately bookings on the same hotel to hedge the GBP/USD foreign exchange risk...), and in the week prior to the holiday realised that I forgot to cancel one so it almost backfired! So make sure you double check before you go. :blush:
#911154 by mrsw
06 Oct 2015, 19:43
Hev60 wrote:
The Californian weather has looked wonderful ever since we returned but hey ho. Hope you enjoyed the City before heading off. That first view of Alcartraz and the GGBridge is simply fantastic I think.

ps Glad some of my advice was helpful. Hev

We were so lucky with the weather for the entire trip. Every single day we had highest of over 30 degrees, regardless of where we were :cool:

Yes, thank you so much once again. It was very helpful indeed. I had meant to respond to your PM but couldn't figure out how since the site upgrade.
#911156 by pjh
06 Oct 2015, 20:39
Great TR, and love the photos of the Golden Gate. As the others have said it's shame the initial ground experience wasn't quite up to scratch but the flight itself sounds like all a VS flight should be.

Judging by the background, am I right in assuming that the mug travelled round CA with you?
#911160 by honey lamb
06 Oct 2015, 22:11
Before you start obsessing about your driving, I have 47 years of driving experience and here is my offering
Attachments
SAM_0891.jpg
SAM_0891.jpg (72.97 KiB) Viewed 4898 times
#911161 by TimCrawley
06 Oct 2015, 22:12
Very enjoyable trip report, thanks for posting.

Some great photos - loved the photos of the mug too, really nice of CC to look after your OH so well and also give him a mug for you (wonder if I'll get the courage to ask for one myself one day as a regular reminder of mid-air buckets of tea on VS!).

Looking forward to the (hopefully HL style accident-free) road trip report....
#911166 by Bretty
06 Oct 2015, 23:40
honey lamb wrote:Before you start obsessing about your driving, I have 47 years of driving experience and here is my offering

I remember that story, although my memory isn't always the best, but am I right in saying that happened whilst you were stationary?

MrsW I think I'd like to see that video, is it on YouTube by any chance? Lol :-P
Really looking forward to that road trip report now...
#911169 by ScoobySu
07 Oct 2015, 00:21
What a great report mrsw! So pleased the flight met your expectations and that you had a great road trip. Did you have a CC whose name began with Z by any chance? He and E-L were fantastic on our return from SFO in April and the hubby package is similar to what he did for me :-D :blush:

The cocktail list in the Clubhouse has changed since April & looks delicious! ;-)

Looking forward to reading your return & your road trip review.
#911170 by hiljil
07 Oct 2015, 00:44
Thank you for such an enjoyable and entertaining TR.

So pleased you had a great experience overall.

Thank you for including the photos. As already mentioned, love the GG Bridge one. :D
#911203 by mrsw
07 Oct 2015, 18:43
pjh wrote:Judging by the background, am I right in assuming that the mug travelled round CA with you?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the background", but yes it did travel CA with us. The photos were taken in my kitchen though upon return.
#911204 by mrsw
07 Oct 2015, 18:44
honey lamb wrote:Before you start obsessing about your driving, I have 47 years of driving experience and here is my offering

Haha! I remember that!! Can't wait to read your (overdue ;-) ) TRs.
#911205 by mrsw
07 Oct 2015, 18:46
TimCrawley wrote:Very enjoyable trip report, thanks for posting.

Some great photos - loved the photos of the mug too, really nice of CC to look after your OH so well and also give him a mug for you (wonder if I'll get the courage to ask for one myself one day as a regular reminder of mid-air buckets of tea on VS!).

Looking forward to the (hopefully HL style accident-free) road trip report....

Thank you! I couldn't believe that OH asked for one for me! Bless him. Do you have a travel companion that you might be able to train up? :-P
#911206 by mrsw
07 Oct 2015, 18:47
ScoobySu wrote:What a great report mrsw! So pleased the flight met your expectations and that you had a great road trip. Did you have a CC whose name began with Z by any chance? He and E-L were fantastic on our return from SFO in April and the hubby package is similar to what he did for me :-D :blush:

The cocktail list in the Clubhouse has changed since April & looks delicious! ;-)

Looking forward to reading your return & your road trip review.

Thanks ScoobySu!

No, the FSM was a lady (a very pretty one too), and I think her name began with C.

Now... where's that return TR of yours? I've been waiting! :-P :-D
#911229 by TimCrawley
07 Oct 2015, 21:55
Thank you! I couldn't believe that OH asked for one for me! Bless him. Do you have a travel companion that you might be able to train up? :-P

Nice idea, but sadly they are usually too busy gathering salt & pepper pots but maybe I can drop some subtle hints on my next flight!
#912471 by AlphaEcho
02 Nov 2015, 19:31
I decided to ask with regards to liberating a set of salt & pepper pots. With a sly grin the cabin crew member said "have you seen what's on the bottom", I said I had and he replied "it's on your conscience then" and walked off smiling. My conscience didn't have a problem and they somehow made their way into my carry on bag!
#912476 by pjh
02 Nov 2015, 21:33
mrsw wrote:
pjh wrote:Judging by the background, am I right in assuming that the mug travelled round CA with you?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the background", but yes it did travel CA with us. The photos were taken in my kitchen though upon return.

Just that the tiling and top combination is something I haven't seen in UC yet... :)
Virgin Atlantic