Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#911157 by David
06 Oct 2015, 20:45
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So after 2 and a bit weeks in the glorious Orlando sunshine, scattered with a few drizzlely hours which were quite cooling, it was time to check in at Downtown Disney for the trip home.

Downtown and especially the road system is pretty messy at the moment and you have to take the last entrance (or the first if you are coming from the Old Key West side ) entrance into downtown to drive into a very small car park in front of Cirque De Sol, or whatever it's called.

The mess and overall guddle seems to be making the check in a little quiet but it's still a great feature.

It was quite interesting to watch the 24kg game when a couple checking in 4 bags were trying and failing the scales test and ended up with a huge pile of hand luggage

Anyway checkin was very quick, no weighing although one must have been close to the limit and boading pass in hand it was time to fill in the last day.

This was a strange flight as it left very early around 4ish and got into Glasgow at a rediculous time of 5.15am so not really the usual full last day.

In fact it was that humid, it was decided that after a last visit to Publix to pick up some Milk Duds ( you get them too early and they are just a huge lump of chocolate and caramel by the time you get home ) we would depart for the airport around 1ish getting there around twenty past which gave plenty of time to get through security, a last fantastic meal at the outback, a quick beer or two in the Delta lounge and ready to board around half three.

And that's exactly what happened.

I reported earlier that they are now charging for "premium" drinks in the delta lounge but what constitutes premium, I don't know. The beer is still free and actually hardly had the first one finished before the lovely Virgin Atlantic Lady was there to take us to the gate.

After a little delay, we were soon on board into a quite upper cabin with 4 customers and 3 staff.

The crew were great. Seems the Scottish crew try and get the Glasgow flights which makes for a great trip.

The staff passengers really didn't make any fuss and the crew didn't really treat them specially.

I had the soup and the chicken, both tasted very (very) strong and would not be picked again and I fact I struggled to finish the chicken. (The previous steak had nothing to do with this ;-) )

Finished watching the last half hour of Fast & Furious 7 and then got the bed made up and slept. Cabin was a great temperature and all of a sudden, it was time for breakfast.

We landed on time ( a fully automatic landing -" all electrical appliances need to be switched totally off" and through immigration to wait, and wait, and wait for the baggage.

After what seemed like a few hundred bags had come off, the upper ones started to come through and from there it was quickly through to the short stay where the car was and off home after a fantastic trip.

Another 1st class holiday which really gets you into the mood to book another straight away. (I could get really used to the Floridian lifestyle)

Thanks for reading

David

( oh and the miles for the chicken from the outbound trip had posted after a few days - life's good :D )
#911164 by TimCrawley
06 Oct 2015, 22:32
Enjoyed the trip report, thanks for posting.

Was a bit baffled by the FF7 last half hour reference until I went back to your outward trip report to remind myself the story about the chicken miles .... must admit I have tended not to bother with the beef dishes on last few flights after consecutive 'tough as old boots' portions with VS on earlier flights (I must have been unlucky as not seen anyone else complaining ) as chicken or veggie dishes are usually very nice so surprised to hear your return chicken wasn't up to much.

As you say, a great trip kind of tempts you back to scanning within hours of landing for some more great deals to escape again :-)
#911171 by hiljil
07 Oct 2015, 00:55
Thank you for your enjoyable TR. Glad it all went well.
Love the word "guddle". Is that a misprint or a Scottish noun I've never come across ?!

The weather in SW Florida has been a bit disappointing if that makes you feel any better !! They keep promising us that dry weather is sweeping in "tomorrow" .... But apart from that ,like you, I enjoy the Floridian lifestyle. :cool:
#911179 by David
07 Oct 2015, 09:42
hiljil wrote:Thank you for your enjoyable TR. Glad it all went well.
Love the word "guddle". Is that a misprint or a Scottish noun I've never come across ?!

The weather in SW Florida has been a bit disappointing if that makes you feel any better !! They keep promising us that dry weather is sweeping in "tomorrow" .... But apart from that ,like you, I enjoy the Floridian lifestyle. :cool:

:D No, it wasn't autocorrect going mad again, its a great word and unfortunately used many a day.

A great piece from the Scotsman Newspaper tells us -

"Less well known, perhaps, is the word ‘guddle’ which has the added appeal of describing not only the mess typical of a teenager’s bedroom but also any confusing or complex situation.

For example, a person could find themselves in a bit of a guddle if they slept in and missed the bus to work, or attempting to book holday tickets online could be a total guddle for some folk.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/gaelic/scottish ... z3nrxYDJjE "

The last bits quite apt :D

Hope the weather clears up a bit - its freezing here with heavy rain forecast (which will probably last till March :D ) and your able to enjoy the last part of your trip.

thanks

David
#911401 by horburyflyer
10 Oct 2015, 20:38
Great TR David and thanks for sharing. I'm sure by now your plans for your next trip are finalised or well on the way......

Having been back from the 'Sunshine state' just under a week myself I'm certainly keen to get back...so I can drop back off the horrendous cough/cold I seem to have picked up whilst I was there!

Thanks again for posting the TR and pleased all was as it should be on board....despite the chicken dish. I was in two Delta Sky Clubs last weekend, one in Tampa and one in Atlanta and no charge for premium branded drinks, so wonder if its a MCO thing or is something which will be rolled out across the network...must also be a recent thing as I was through the Delta Sky Club in MCO at the end of August and didn't notice it then. We can live in hope it disappears as quickly as it arrived, a bit like my cold!!!

All the best

Jon
#911459 by David
11 Oct 2015, 20:57
Lol. End of Nov or beginning of Jan hopefully :cool:

The "menu" on the bar with pricing looked very new and untouched so am guessing it's only started recently. Maybe, hopefully, just a trial but seems all a bit odd.

Funny enough to, this page http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ ... ities.html mentions charges at "select locations" for premium drinks, so maybe here to stay.

Thanks again

David
Virgin Atlantic