Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#911435 by horburyflyer
11 Oct 2015, 18:36
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
....so from my earlier TR you will have seen I arrived into ATL at an A gate and had to get to the F gates (International terminal) for my flight to Manchester. You can walk this underground on the dedicated walkways but it will take around 1hr....

So I jumped on the Planetrain which took just a few minutes to deposit me at the F concourse. As I had been checked through all the way to MAN so it was straight up to the Delta SkyClub in the International terminal. I was welcomed by name and rather warmly...maybe he knew when I turned the corner I would be less than impressed!

Anyway turn the corner I did and it was like a zoo. I've been through here a few times before but tonight (and it was a Saturday) it was heaving with just a few seats left in the area furthest away from the action (food and drink)....but find a seat I did.

This lounge is big and has an outdoor terrace which was closed because it was raining which was really annoying some other guests.

The bar area was crowded though it was a great party atmosphere. I ordered a G&T (Bombay in use) and then looked at the food options. These have gradually improved over the last few months. As it was only around 4pm I thought I would just pick at a few items and then enjoy the dinner service on board.

Tonight we had beef and lamb kebabs (delicious), two hot pasta options , two types of soup and some potato wedges. The cold buffet was the usual Delta spread of veggies, salads, chicken salad (which I really like) breads, crackers, cheese and dressings. Sweet options included chocolates, mini fruit pies, cookies and fruit.

I picked away and checked out the wifi which was strong and reliable. I stayed in this area for about an hour and when the AMS flight passengers left was able to move to a quieter area and closer to the food stations and the bar.....where I ordered another G&T.

After about two hours of grazing, drinking and people watching I'd had enough and walked down to the gate which was F6 and about 10mins walk away. I do like the F terminal, it's large, spacious and still very new.

'Miss England' G-VWAG was my girl tonight and she had brought me to Atlanta a week earlier - she was still very dirty on the outside which I had noticed when I disembarked at ATL.

Boarding began at 1820 and I already knew it was a completely full flight. Priority boarding was announced but was total chaos as the Delta ground team just didn't control the area at all so it was a lot of pushing and shoving to get to the gate area.

The Virgin rep who was checking passports was useless and received some rather straight-forward feedback from me about taking control a little better which she clearly didn't like as she just looked at me and moved on to the next passenger. The Delta gate agent was friendly, wished me a great flight by name and I was off down the air-bridge.

I was welcomed at the door by a crew member who had been working in UC on my outbound flight so the welcome was exceptionally friendly. I quickly settled into 7A. The FSM was straight there welcoming me with a shake of the hand (which I personally welcome) and reminding me to ask for anything at all during the flight. She was great.

Champagne was offered and then offered again and offered one final time before take-off....I like these kind of flights!!

With UC full it took a while for everyone to get settled. The amenity kit was already on the seat along with the headphones. Bottles of water were offered along with sleep suits, newspapers and magazines. The FSM and CSS came around to handout the menus before pushback.

Even though I tend to fly the A333s the most these days I haven't actually sat in 7A before. I found the seat to very roomy and though close to the bar on this flight I wasn't bothered at all though it wasn't particularly busy.

Pushback came exactly at 1910 and we by all accounts had to leave some passengers behind who hadn't made the connection. The seat was also great on picking up on the crew conversations....sorry!

During the taxi my crew member from the previous week was working my side of UC and came along to introduce herself to everyone, take drink and dinner orders. She made it to me before she had to take her seat for take-off which was at 1929.

As we thundered down the runway for a very long take-off run we passed 29 Delta aircraft lined up waiting for departure. This is one busy airport as we know.

With 245 passengers on board and 15 crew we were promised a flight time of 7hrs49mins to Manchester. The crew were asked to remain seated for the first 20mins as we climbed through some horrendous weather which rocked us from side to side. I rather enjoy turbulence but know others don't and those around me fitted into that category.

Once in clear air the service began with hot towels followed by drinks with crisps. Refills were proactively offered though this was one joined up crew all working together to complete the service quickly so people could rest. Tables were laid for dinner 45mins after take-off. The menu was:

Curried butternut squash soup
Beetroot and goats cheese salad
Thai green papaya salad
Breads: Brioche, wholewheat and rye and pretzel roll
Porcini dusted beef fillet - baby carrots, cherry tomato and potato gratin
Chicken with sage sauce - roasted tomato, grilled asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes
Rustic harvest vegetables with polenta
Hot smoked salmon salad
Double chocolate bread pudding with cream
Pumpkin cheesecake
Cheese and port: Cashel blue, Manchego and Chimay

** Menu valid for VS008, 020, 022, 040, 042, 044, 086, 104, 110, 116

I really enjoyed the beetroot and goats cheese salad, the beef was delicious (very tender) and finished off with the chocolate pudding which was amazing. I did end up with a cheese plate in front of me and enjoyed a glass of port too....

Service was friendly and attentive even though everyone was dining and this was one busy flight. Wine, water and bread were offered several times and the FSM and CSS were working hard in the cabin too. Through the service we ended up with just one red wine choice but not surprisingly as the cabin was full of red wine drinkers!

With tables cleared and lights dimmed everyone just about went to sleep....two Americans in front of me were amazed when the CC came along and offered turn-down. They said they were never flying Delta again....!!

Four passengers did make it to the bar for about 30mins but then we hit some very rough air and the seat-belt signs were switched on. The crew were also asked to take their seats.

Not really sure how long it lasted as I drifted off to sleep and woke with 1hr15mins to go and breakfast being served around me.

I requested a bacon roll and a mug of coffee though everyone else was tucking into the full works. This was also a very busy service for the CC.

Breakfast included: Juices, cereals, porridge, fruit salad, croissants , Chocolate croissants, the full works, bacon butty and mascarpone French toast.

With a final round of hot towels we made our final approach into MAN touching down at 0818. We made our way to T2 and was hoping we would avoid gate 210 as it still (after several weeks) has an airbridge out of service.....well we did end up at gate 210 and we had to wait for the steps to be attached and this took several minutes.

Made it through immigration quickly and the bag was just coming out when I reached the belt so not too bad at all as I walked to the train station for my train home.

This was a really busy full flight. The CC in UC worked hard all flight long - they were friendly, attentive and well organised led by an FSM who was also on the ball and I've dropped a note through to VS about just how good they were.

Thanks for reading.

Jon
Last edited by horburyflyer on 14 Oct 2015, 23:06, edited 4 times in total.
#911437 by buns
11 Oct 2015, 19:06
Jon

Thanks for the insightful TR. (All being well, Mrs Buns and I will be returning from MCO via ATL next month).

The challenge for us will be negotiating this huge Airport (BTW the last time I was there was when British Caledonian used it as a hub :blush: ) as we arrive from MCO and make our way to the International Terminal.

Your on board experience is one that makes passengers feel valued and eager to return.

Thanks once again

buns
#911457 by David
11 Oct 2015, 20:49
Jon,

Sounds like another great flight and the lounge sounds like another level compared to the MCO delta lounge. Is that one for transatlantic flights only ?

Your menu onboard seems to be different from the one I had a couple of weeks ago (seems an eternity ago) which I'm guessing was more like the one ColOrd had.

Departing from ATL sounds as easy as arriving which is good as this will defiantly be an option for us in the future. It's amazing that this huge airport is pretty easy to navigate (don't worry Buns - arriving into it is very easy :D )

Many thanks

David
#911461 by Bretty
11 Oct 2015, 21:04
Thanks for the TR, I'm really pleased it was a good fight experience. I think someone else in another thread has commented that there seems to be an upturn of positive reports fir return flights, which is good.

That menu sounds good too, making me hungry even after my dinner!
#911465 by honey lamb
11 Oct 2015, 21:48
Hamster wrote:Thanks for the TR!

I see the cherry tomatoes are back!

Don't tell Slinky! :D
#911637 by horburyflyer
14 Oct 2015, 22:44
David wrote:Jon,

Sounds like another great flight and the lounge sounds like another level compared to the MCO delta lounge. Is that one for transatlantic flights only ?

Your menu onboard seems to be different from the one I had a couple of weeks ago (seems an eternity ago) which I'm guessing was more like the one ColOrd had.

Departing from ATL sounds as easy as arriving which is good as this will defiantly be an option for us in the future. It's amazing that this huge airport is pretty easy to navigate (don't worry Buns - arriving into it is very easy :D )

Many thanks

David

Hi David, indeed the F concourse is for International flights only and usually quite a spread - certainly puts the MCO Skyclub to shame.

Jon
#911638 by horburyflyer
14 Oct 2015, 22:46
ColOrd wrote:A great TR, and another report where inbound crew have been on point again! Good to see!!

The pumpkin cheesecake sounds amazing!!

The pumpkin cheesecake is delicious. A really good menu actually and great to have such a lovely crew on board.

Jon
Virgin Atlantic