Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#912103 by WPIL
25 Oct 2015, 10:33
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
The annual Las Vegas trip - every year vow it will be the last one but a good deal comes along and temps me back in. This year a milage sale for Economy tickets took place, from memory it was 32,000 miles and £210 to book plus an extra £70 to book row 75 in the bubble both ways! I think these are the best seats outside of the Upper cabin so was very happy. Over the last few months have been keeping an eye out for G's and even missed one that had come up but was gone 2 days latter when I rang up >-(

A few weeks prior to the trip managed to bag an upgrade for the return flight and carried on checking for the outbound. Right up until the night before there was 2 spare spaces in Upper but no G's. On the day I decided to take the slightly longer train journey from Watford via Clapham as opposed to the direct service from St Albans (unlikely to get a seat) or a taxi (M25 pretty much everyday is snarled). As the taxi arrived I received a call from one of the others travelling to say that he had managed to upgrade at the airport and that there was still one seat left if I could get to the airport ASAP! He did try and upgrade on my behalf and I also tried to phone once on the train but to obtain the last G I needed to do in person at the airport.

After a very long train journey I finally arrived at Gatwick (at least I managed to get a seat on both trains) and made my way across the concourse to the ticket desk. The lady serving confirmed there was still one seat free :cool: and arranged my upgrade, all in all it took about 15 minutes to process and I wasn't the only lucky passenger that day as the gentlemen next to me managed to bag 4 G's on the flight to Barbados! Well done that man. Check in was very brief although a little unfriendly, was just asked for bags and no other conversation was made between me and the check in agent. Fast track security was pretty quick and very friendly and the corridor to the lounge was clearly marked.

Lounge experience was pretty standard, a couple of redheads, plenty of water and a cooked breakfast (gluten free so no sausages and extra egg). The lounge was brightened up with the arrival of Abby Clancy who was on here way to Jamaica. Lounge was full but still did not feel crowded and service was swift and attentive. The flight was called and we made our way over to the gate. Despite leaving (I think!) on the first call we were the last 3 passengers to board. One of the party was upstairs in row 75 and the other was in 12A. 3 of the seats in row 75 were closed off due to a problem with part of the door which had fallen of on a previous flight meaning that my friend was on his own in row 75. On the return flight we had the same plane and the problem had not been fixed.

Flight was pretty uneventful, managed to watch 1 film, Entourage, not a patch on the TV series.

There was a problem with my Gluten Free request which had not been loaded, however the cabin crew were excellent and brought me out the paperwork for the various menus in each cabin to see what was safe to eat and decided on a Soup Starter with GF bread roll (only one on the plane) and Chicken Tikka with Rice from the PE menu. Had a glass of Red Wine (a Chilean Malbec?). Later on in the flight before landing I had a Salmon Salad with Potatoes that I had brought on board with me from M&S at the Airport.

I spoke to the crew as they were trialling a freedom menu of sorts were UC could order their second meal and have cooked to order. They were also operation with one member less than usual and were very visible and busy during the whole flight, to me it seemed like that they had no breaks. There was also 3 "Suits" from Virgin Atlantic (not suits but jeans and smart shirts) who were observing and talking to customers for feedback as well as generally helping out as well) - was impressed with the hard working crew and at least half the UC passengers took advantage of having a second meal cooked for them.

Smooth and quick landing at LAS but behind a BA heavy so was expecting a busy line to get in, however we were through in under 30 minutes so not too bad. Off to the Palazzo and the Prestige Lounge for the next 6 days!
#912105 by Daffodil
25 Oct 2015, 10:56
Thanks for the interesting TR and congratulations on managing the upgrade.
The staff were obviously keep on their toes if being monitored by management.
I hope you had a great time in Vegas and were lucky!
#912107 by hiljil
25 Oct 2015, 11:49
Thank you for the TR and how pleasing to manage that upgrade.

Nice to read how hard the crew tried to put right the non appearance of the non gluten meal. I like to think it would have been exactly the same without the " suits " on board !

So , when's the next trip to LAS ?! ;-)
#912563 by SlimpyJones
04 Nov 2015, 14:09
A 'G' refers to tickets in the 'G' fare bucket - which are Upper Class reward seats, i.e. bought or upgraded to with miles. They have limited availability so getting one is not always guaranteed (and hence are celebrated!).

As far as cost to upgrade, it's done on a per-sector basis depending on your destination. So LGW-LAS as a single sector is 12,500 miles plus any applicable taxes (which I think is about £60-70?). That being said, the cash cost can depend on whether you are booked into a qualifying ticket or not. If you are, then it's just a case of paying the taxes. If you are not, then there will probably be an additional cash cost involved of bringing you up to a qualifying fare.

The toolbox has a page that explains fare buckets :)
toolbox_fare_codes.php
#913142 by WPIL
13 Nov 2015, 08:03
That was the technical explanation of a G, I would liken a G to a golden ticket for Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory! Luckily I have "found" 3 G's for my 4 flights this year - only 1 more to find :-P
Virgin Atlantic