Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#912358 by Petmadness
31 Oct 2015, 20:15
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
First of all, my apologies for the length of the TR as I type what I see, as I go. I have scored ground crew excellent as the only blip was at the DTCI, everyone else was excellent. I seemed to be only allowed to post 4 photos...is that me or the site (I already know it's me!)

After a fab trip down from Buckinghamshire and no problems on the M25, we arrived 20 minutes early for our DTCI slot. We were still greeted by the VS agents and a Purple Parking Captain when we pulled up. Now I know this service is a little more expensive but it does feel great when you just get out, have your bags taken and drift to private security. The Check in agent was efficient but not super friendly and at security there was a little queue but we were still in the CH within 15 mins. We had family that had never experienced UC or the CH so we found a table, booked treatments and ordered champagne and breakfast.
Just after breakfast I went up to the concierge and enquirer about mileage upgrades for 2 of our family that were in PE. They were available and the lady at the desk did everything super efficiently with minimum effort from me. That sorted, it was off to have my haircut by the brilliant, friendly and lovely hairdresser who engaged in great conversation about VS and how good they are to work for and how much part of a team she feels. Good to hear! Our server in the CH was also on excellent form.
image.jpeg
Clubhouse
image.jpeg (285.86 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Back for a couple of drinks prior to second (&final boarding) call for our flight and after that thanked the lady on the concierge desk for her assistance again and went down to gate 16.
When we arrived at the gate, the priority channel was in place and Tubular Belle was awaiting us but boarding was yet to commence. After about 10 minutes we were boarded, met at the door and greeted (not by name) and settled into our coveted seats of 12 A&K in the nose of the G-VHOT. Very good first impressions of the CC as we were welcomed and offered champagne. Load seemed light in UC so they seemed jolly about that. Captain introduced himself over the tannoy and announced an 8hr 55 minute flight time as well as a few bumps predicted on the way. FSM then came on to say hi and detail who was where on the crew and all the usual rules, he seemed a very happy chappy. The front UC cabin had 4 free seats and the backward cabin was nearly empty, haven't ventured upstairs yet to have a look. Captain then announced a delay as they were loading a McLaren into the hold and would need to shift luggage to do so...oddly enough, they wanted to secure it properly before departure. We were kept informed throughout the delay, not offered, but requested champagne top ups. CSM came around to introduce herself as did the CC, they had that sparkle that you look for on a UC flight. It was announced that there were only 136 PAX on board.
We finally pushed back 55mins late, taxied past G-VGAS & G-VEIL and were on our way 15 mins later.
image.jpeg
Taxiing
image.jpeg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

image.jpeg
Next up
image.jpeg (25.64 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Once at cruising altitude the CC took drink orders followed by lunch orders from this menu:

Starters
Leek & Potato Soup
Prawn, avocado & tomato tian
Tomato & mozzarella salad

Main
Fillet steak
Free range roast chicken
Thai vegetable curry
Salmon fish cake

Pudding
Warm brioche and butter pudding
White & dark chocolate cheesecake

Cheese & Port

I skipped the starter and chose the fillet beef for main which was really good and had the cheesecake for dessert, which was also great. Ample drinks offered throughout the service followed by the wonderful cheese trolley which I also wimped out on! Good to see the FSM out assisting with the lunch service around the UC cabin, though he did not engage in much conversation with the pax.

Went through to PE to take a look and it was pretty empty too, that said I had to go hunting for CC to grab a couple of teas. I watched American Sniper which was slow to start but, in the end a brilliant film. Perfect timing with the ice creams being served just as I fancied one.

The UC seats and surroundings on Tubular Belle were looking a little tired but not too bad with inevitable scratches and marks around. TV screens on all of our seats worked but some were a bit wobbly, particularly when latched back in their housing.

Afternoon Tea offered and I just had a couple of sandwiches, which were little dry, and a cuppa. Had a chat with our CC asking how the flight was for them with 136 pax onboard. She smiled and said she was not complaining and all the pax she served were really nice...gold star!

Didn't see much of the FSM throughout the flight but then again I didn't venture too far away and decided not to go to the bar as we have an hours drive when we land.

Soon it was time to start our decent into Miami, so it was the usual routine. Captain came on to say that there was some heavy precipitation in the area (!) and that we should be on the ground at around 7.30, so making up 45 mins of the original delay.

On the ground, very short taxi and a pleasant good bye from the FSM and our crew member on the way out. Then the 15 minute walk to the immigration hall was a result of a short taxi from the runway. Into the hall, which was empty (hurrah!), guided to the ESTA screens which in my view are brilliant, through to baggage claim where our bags were waiting and then a short queue through customs. Then onto the MIA Mover to Alamo, straight to the car then out onto the I95N to Pompano Beach! Just a note to say two of our fellow pax in UC that spent most of their time at the bar, were summonsed to secondary at immigration.......

In summary, the flight was very pleasant, the service was good, then sparse, then good again. The CC were really lovely and friendly, I now regret to going to the bar for a chat, the main meal excellent, afternoon tea average.

Thanks for reading, see you on the other side
#912361 by pjh
31 Oct 2015, 21:24
Thanks for the TR. Sounds like you had a great experience end to end. What did the new-to-the-CH and UC members of the family think about fit? Have you now condemned them to the V-Flyer obsession with saving points and money to travel at the pointy end?

I think you were wise not to visit the bar if you've got a drive at the other end. Regardless of the experience of those called over to secondary screening, it is just way too tempting to just have the one more...
#912364 by TimCrawley
31 Oct 2015, 22:28
Enjoyed the trip report, thanks for posting, have a really great trip .... my Aunt is heading that way in late February but hasn't booked their accommodation yet (she's been around West Palm and Lake Worth (I think) on previous trips) so will be interested to read your return TR for impressions on Pompano area.
#912373 by DragonLady
01 Nov 2015, 07:06
Great report .I'm on the VS05 next week ( thanks for the current menu :)) so good to hear that MIA seems to be a little less unpleasant than it used to be. I've been pulled for secondary at MIA so hope that your two fellow passengers had a better experience than me. :(.

DL
#912481 by Petmadness
02 Nov 2015, 23:19
DragonLady wrote:Great report .I'm on the VS05 next week ( thanks for the current menu :)) so good to hear that MIA seems to be a little less unpleasant than it used to be. I've been pulled for secondary at MIA so hope that your two fellow passengers had a better experience than me. :(.

DL

I think, DL, that the guy would've had a hard time at Secondary as he stank of booze and Mrs P said to me later that his wife said 'he always get pulled into secondary'!!

As for MIA, I was very pleasantly surprised about the efficiency this time and have ordered the same for you on your arrival :-D
Virgin Atlantic