Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#913208 by horburyflyer
14 Nov 2015, 22:28
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So after a downright disappointing flight out to JFK I was a little concerned regarding the return....I already knew as this was a late booking with no UC seats left on any flight from JFK so I was travelling on a very busy night.....I was also unhappy with my current allocated seat.....

Arrived into JFK at around 1430 for my 1901 flight. The agent at the PE desk was ok, though he did allocate me 18A without hesitation and I was thankful for that. For that he didn't need to smile or be more friendly!!

Security was horrendous as it always is for me at JFK. The ID check element was pretty quick though the priority line didn't really work but the scanning process took so long. People ahead of me with very tight schedules were getting very agitated indeed and they were not allowed to skip the line...

Anyway by 1515 I was arriving at the JFK CH which was wonderful. The welcome seemed genuine at the door and when I stepped inside I was greeted by two of the servers I know rather well from my regular visits. With hugs and a catch up taken care of I took a seat at the bar...

The next three hours passed quickly as I was enjoyed a few items from the tapas selection which was in its final few days before the new menu was launched. I enjoyed a few cocktails during the time. I love the JFK CH and the team, they work well together and it was very busy but service was attentive and very personalised. Love coming back here.

Boarding was called at 1810 and I said my goodbyes and left for A5 downstairs. I was greeted at the door and directed right to PE. I had a chatty seat companion who had just been to NYC for the first time and we sipped prosecco as boarding was quickly completed.

The FSM stopped by to shake my hand, welcome me onboard and was lovely from the word go. She ran a very tight ship indeed and inspired the team to work hard and have some fun along the way.

The crew were also a little more rested as they had just enjoyed a rare two-night stay in NYC. Push back came at 1857 with 188 passengers on board this A340-600. It was clear that UC and PE were full but Y was wide open.

The captain promised a flight time of 5hrs45mins with a tail-wind at some points at 200mph so advised some lumps and bumps along the way. On the seat was the menu, a bottle of water and the amenity kit.

Take off came at 1917 as we skipped the take-off lineup. The CC serving my side of the cabin could not have been more attentive. She was a gem. She addressed me by name all flight long and did all she could to ensure I enjoyed my time on board.

Hot towels were offered after take-off. A drinks round came around 45mins into the flight and a G&T was requested and provided. This came in double measures along with a small bag of pretzels.

I was skipping the food with the intention of getting some rest on board but I had forgotten just how difficult it can be to achieve in PE with a full service underway. The menu was:

Mesclun salad - mixed leaves, chick peas, tomato, feta and balsamic vinaigrette.

Guinness beef stew
Thai chicken curry
Roasted vegetable ravioli

Chocolate creme brûlée pyramid

The menu is listed for flight VS2,4,6,10,16,18,28,46,50,72,74,76,112,118

The CC member seemed horrified I wasn't eating and even when she offered me anything from the UC menu and I declined she insisted on bringing me the cheese plate and a large glass of port. I was very grateful and it went down a treat. She also handed over a bag of snacks such as popcorn, chocolate and crisps. The FSM came back for a longer chat and she was a treasure and I mentioned the outbound flight and was genuinely mortified that I had left the aircraft at JFK disappointed.

Now two hours into the flight I was very keen to settle down and thankfully the lights were dimmed. I slept well actually for two hours until the light were put back on at 0430 for the PE breakfast service. It seemed only around six people in the entire cabin were tucking in.....made me wonder if this could have handled better by delaying the service if the CC had known in advance who was wanting breakfast....

Anyway at 5am after a mug of hot chocolate (again the CC insisted I needed to have something!)...when I declined items from the UC breakfast menu. The lights were then turned off for an hour!

The breakfast menu was English breakfast- scrambled eggs, pork sausage, Rosti potatoes, grilled tomato, baked beans and mushrooms or vegetarian breakfast of ratatouille filled omelette, mushrooms, Rosti potatoes, grilled tomato and baked beans.

Both were served with a blueberry muffin, tea/coffee and juice.

After 25mins in the hold we touched down at 0622 and were quickly disembarking thanking the crew for their great service. I've also written to Crawley towers to highlight the great experience too.

Immigration was super quick and the bag was waiting for me on the belt, so I was in revivals by 0645. After being brought to life by a long shower and some breakfast I could then face the day ahead.

I was lucky to secure the bulkhead seat and I did find the seat comfortable. The entertainment was yet again a let-down, I found it really clunky and only listened to a few tracks before giving up.

So a wonderful friendly and attentive crew who really couldn't do enough to make sure I had a great flight with a FSM who was really on the ball and proud to work for VS.

Thanks for reading.

Jon
Last edited by horburyflyer on 15 Nov 2015, 11:45, edited 3 times in total.
#913212 by TimCrawley
14 Nov 2015, 23:33
Wow, that's quite a contrast to the outward leg - such a huge difference when you get a crew that's on good form - after an indifferent crew on the outward you really deserved a great crew coming home.

Really hope none of the great crews like this get 'lost or damaged' on this vanishing crew grades plan that VS have come up with (take the demotion or clear off to another airline) .
#913217 by marshy11
15 Nov 2015, 07:29
Chalk and cheese. Thanks for the TR and for highlighting the difference the crew have on passenger experience. Great for you to be looked after so well. The proposed changes are very worrying for pax, it must be awful for the crew, let's hope the bad ones are sifted, leaving the real gems in post.
#913218 by hiljil
15 Nov 2015, 08:18
Thank you for the TR. How refreshing to read of a good inbound flight for a change. Just a pity you didn't have it the other way too.
#913233 by horburyflyer
15 Nov 2015, 11:59
marshy11 wrote:Chalk and cheese. Thanks for the TR and for highlighting the difference the crew have on passenger experience. Great for you to be looked after so well. The proposed changes are very worrying for pax, it must be awful for the crew, let's hope the bad ones are sifted, leaving the real gems in post.

It's clear the proposed changes are causing concern understandably but like you I hope the crew who are disinterested, damage the passenger experience and don't promote the values and behaviours of VS are sifted allowing the very many crew who really are proud to work for VS and make a difference champion through.

I was really pleased to have a good experience on my return and I was very well looked after. I will say the two CC members in PE were attentive with all passengers from what I saw and heard. Their work made more difficult by a much shorter sector length but they both did a fantastic job and I hope they receive the recognition received.

Jon
#913237 by buns
15 Nov 2015, 13:33
Jon

Thanks for the super TR, as We know when VS get it right on board, they are hard to beat.

There is that "marmite" moment when you you of whether it will be a good flight or not - my recent experience (TR to follow) was precisely that and Mrs B and I had a fab flight.

Thanks once again

buns
Virgin Atlantic