Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#913397 by Hamster
19 Nov 2015, 04:22
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
LHR – IAD

This was our first flight on a Virgin A330-300, I had been avoiding them, but we were keen to get away and use up our miles, and the only routes that had decent availability going out were all A330’s! When we booked all the window seats had been taken but only 2 centre seats were occupied, thankfully I kept checking the seat map and I managed to get myself a window seat a few days later.

On the morning of the flight we made the short (15 minute) journey to the airport, and after dropping off the car we headed to check-in. There was no queue and were checked in very quickly, less than half the time it took when we checked in via DTCI last time… So in the lift and through the empty security lane we were soon in World Duty Free trying to locate a certain perfume. I noted that the Christmas decorations were already hanging from the ceiling…!

Once in the Clubhouse my partner booked his “upgrade” massage and we sat just outside the old Library. A member of staff arrived very promptly and took drinks and food orders.

I ordered the Mini Doughnuts and Mocha sauce and they soon arrived, but they tasted as if they were made a month ago and given 5 seconds in the microwave, I was rather disappointed! I did get some sausage, bacon and beans after though!

I really do like the addition of the Bottle Green cordials to the drinks menu, I don’t drink a lot and I love elderflower cordial. The staff were really on the ball and there were many offers of refills or more food.

When my partner came back from his massage, he was looking for his credit card, as the CH manager had proactively offered a refund due to a group of "lads" in the hot tub making a lot of nose, they were also moved on!

After the first boarding call we finished our drinks, packed up and headed to the gate. There was no queue to enter the gate or to board, and we were the first on-board in Upper (I get bored of waiting to go, so don’t hang back in the CH).

It was really obvious why people aren’t happy with the A330’s! The seat just looks like a cheaper knock-off of the A340/747/787 seats. Yes it does look more modern with the silver and harder materials, but the quality of the finishes really let it down, the cream enamel mostly. Once sat in the seat it feels very tight (I’m only small!) and the lack of an arm rest on one side, and the other side that encroached into the seat were really annoying. I ended up using a pillow as an armrest as it started to get really uncomfortable. I remember reading that the seat reclines further than the previous generation UCS, but I really didn’t notice it and somehow found the lack of recline more uncomfortable than the previous seat? Anyway, enough of the seat!

Crew offered drinks and I chose a glass of water (am I a true V-Flyer?!). The older American woman behind me was making it very clear how much she doesn’t like the A330 (“I f****** hate this aircraft!”). Soon the crew were tidying up and with 133 passengers on board we were heading off.

Once in the air, the crew came round and took drinks orders - the crew were very engaging and smiling loads, was a nice change from out previous VS flight. Was sad to see the Mojitos had gone, but had been replaced with many different “berry” mixes. I really didn’t think much of them, very sickly IMO.

I had discovered that my IFE had no sound, and tried the VS headphones as well as my own, they have changed the headphones since I last looked at them, and they looked very uncomfortable! The ear pads were as flat as a pancake. I mentioned the IFE problem to the crew and they said they will re-boot my IFE. After it was re-set it still didn’t work and the CC said she would get the SCC to bring me an iPad. The SCC was very apologetic and gave me an iPad Mini to use and offered some miles (these haven’t turned up, and I don’t think I will be chasing them). After initially thinking there was a very limited selection on the iPad, I realised that I was looking at the category page, and it wasn’t listing all the films! It looked as if all the films from the IFE were on the iPad, so I managed to watch what I wanted. There seemed to be another 3 seats having issues with sound.

For lunch I had the Leak and Potato Soup, Roast Chicken and the brioche and butter pudding. It was all very good, especially the brioche and butter pudding! Was disappointed that there was no burger on this flight, but I made up for the lack of burger by eating many packets of the plane crisps and spicy “alternative” bites, too many really as I was too full for afternoon tea.

Once we had landed, it was my first experience of the mobile lounges! What a strange system! Immigration was easy, but the queue for customs seemed to take forever!

Overall it was a good flight and I enjoyed the films I watched, but I will 100% avoid the A330 when flying Virgin until (if) they replace the seats. It was the strength of the crew that made this a good flight, not the actual product!

Last edited by Hamster on 19 Nov 2015, 04:54, edited 2 times in total.
#913398 by marshy11
19 Nov 2015, 04:31
Thank you for a lovely read. Sounds like you had a pleasant flight, bar the cabin environment!

I actually don't mind the A333 but I would avoid it if I could - I'm returning from BGI on one in a few weeks. They are small (especially if you are tall like me) and the whole cabin feels cramped.

Nice to hear Bottle Green cordials are in the CH, have you tried the elderflower with sparkling water - it's virgin champagne - absolutely delicious.

Shame about the IFE but at least you had the same choice of films on the iPad.

Enjoy your time over the pond and thanks for the inclusion of the menus.
#913405 by dickydotcom
19 Nov 2015, 08:47
Thanks for the TR with pictures.
Seats do look a bit narrow.
I don't tend to use the IFE but if they offered you miles because it wasn't working I would chase them.
I got 4000 awarded by the CC because I couldn't have a crab starter.
A note to Crawley Towers may well get you more than that.

Dick D
#913413 by Maximus
19 Nov 2015, 18:14
Thanks for the report Hamster. I do enjoy a TR with photographs. The food looked great.

I thought the see-through partitions had been replaced? Or are they the replacements? if they are, someone needs to point out that they are still see-through!
#913426 by gfonk
20 Nov 2015, 00:26
so you not a fan of the A333 ?lol
sounds like a good flight though.
look forward to your rtn TR.
#913431 by hiljil
20 Nov 2015, 07:59
Thank you for an interesting TR.

Loved the photos. Some of "The Seat" could be entered in for the Turner Prize ! ;-)
#913434 by ultreen1
20 Nov 2015, 10:42
Great TR, I'm also baffled by the lack of an armrest...
Nice shoes btw!! ;-)
Darren
#913447 by Hamster
20 Nov 2015, 15:54
Maximus wrote:I thought the see-through partitions had been replaced? Or are they the replacements? if they are, someone needs to point out that they are still see-through!

Ah yes, when Virgin re-defined the word "Opaque"!

Well latest rumour (not sure if its confirmed 100% yet or not?) is that the seat will be going, so I can't see them replacing the windows if they are going to ripped out soon.

ultreen1 wrote:Great TR, I'm also baffled by the lack of an armrest...
Nice shoes btw!! ;-)
Darren

#913456 by TimCrawley
20 Nov 2015, 20:43
Great trip report, thanks for posting, just a few too many pictures of that relatively awful seat that can't vanish too soon IMHO

Mobile lounges, you have me intrigued - must look up what these are like now at IAD as didn't think they were still there, thought they had shipped them out and this was part of the plan for the LGW CH during the terminal moves :-)
Virgin Atlantic