Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#913458 by RobL
20 Nov 2015, 22:57
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Sorry for the delay in posting.

By way of introduction this flight was booked a long time ago, in November 2014, and formed the last of the three sectors to get us from Melbourne to Las Vegas. The first two sectors were booked as business class reward fares - but it was not worth using points for the hop to LV as it was the same amount of points to go to LV as NYC from LA! So decided to buy this leg directly from VX and in order to boost my status credits (VA allow family pooling of status credits) and retain Platinum I booked First.

As we were on different PNRs I allowed a bit of time between arriving and departing from LAX. The VA1 is scheduled in at 0630 and the VX486 at 1315 so plenty of time to clear immigration, walk round to T3 recheck and clear security and sit in the Loft. In April an email popped up from VX saying the flight had been rescheduled to depart at 1500 allowing even more float in the already generous schedule!

So fast forward to September 04 - a very, very long day - as those who have crossed the pacific will attest to. Leaving MEL at 0600 on September 04, transiting in SYD and arriving into LAX at 0630 on September 04 a mere 30 minutes later!

The VA1 arrived on time, after almost an hour late departing from Sydney (it was raining - for those that know SYD any excuse is a good one). Immigration took while, not too bad though, even using the machines - which I really didn't understand as still had to go to an agent and have passport stamped and answer the usual questions. It was just a shorter queue (marginally). Bags were on the carousel when we got there and walked straight out. Found an elevator and walked round the corner to T3.

At the VX check in there were two First desks open and both were dealing with passengers so we waited at the end of the designated queue space - one desk was to the right and the other straight ahead. A moment later a couple - I am assuming nobility - walked around the line, consisting of us, and stood immediately behind the passenger at the desk straight ahead. Anyway the desk to our right became clear and the agent called us over must to the annoyance of the noble ones who exclaimed they were next. The agent politely said no we were and dealt with us.

I explained that we were booked on the 486 but could we move onto the 480 departing at 1045. Lots of tapping of keys and we were told that the 480 was full (it was the start of Labor Day weekend - foolish planning on my part - but the whole trip was planned around availability at Yellowstone NP) and we had been put on standby and that should space become available it would be in Y. Also the bags would be going on the 480 regardless of what flight we caught. Told to enquire at the gate 30 mins before departure to see if we were on the 480. Eventually all checked in and a balding pass with no flight number or seat assignment was handed over and off we went. All the while the noble ones had to stand and wait as the other agent was still dealing with their passenger.

(Note to Mods the VX480 is not in the drop down list of VS/VX flights)

Security was the usual disorganised chaos with the priority queue feeding into the general queue, the checker of details or pen wielder was not happy - I think with life in general - but was taking it out on the passengers. Have your documents ready, only one at time, don't stand there - being barked at the line. That said the actual security guys and gals were fine.

Made our way unto the Loft and were 'welcomed' courtesy of VA Platinum status. First class alone does not get access on the LAS flight. What can I say about the Loft - it is better than the T3 waiting area. There is coffee and juice. The seating is relatively comfortable if you can snag a sofa. The wifi worked. The cleaning up of dirty dishes needs to be improved and does the vacuuming of the floors! At 1015 we went round to the desk where they confirmed we had made it onto the 480. Headed downstairs and the last few passengers were boarding - went to the gate and asked about boarding passes and were directed to the customer service desks where after joining the queue were eventually given new boarding passes in Y and not together - but it meant we didn't have to sit around for another 4 hours.

On boarding there was a man dressed casually and wearing a flat cap stood in the cockpit doorway who said hi as we boarded - friendly american I thought. How surprised was I when I next saw him closing the overhead lockers - he was the cabin supervisor. Must have been dress down day or he had lost his uniform. As we ended up being some of the last on board the overhead bins were full and had to put our cabin sized suitcases under the seat in front - as far as they would go. The crew did not say anything - although this would not have been accepted here in Oz.

Captain came out and did a welcome to VX from the front of the cabin and said he expected a 40 minute flight - but we would be held on the ground at LAX due to ATC congestion at LAS. We were and did some cruising around the taxiways at LAX to kill time and keep out of the way of other aircraft. The safety demonstration was played - sung - I didn't understand a word. There is gimmicky and fun, Air NZ, but surely it has to be comprehendible. Fortunately the flight was uneventful so the knowledge I needed in case of an emergency wasn't required.

Despite it being a short flight the crew offered everyone a choice of soft drink, wine or Heineken all complimentary. Just had time to finish my beer when they came through the cabin to collect the rubbish and secure for landing!

Overall it was pleasant enough short flight with a surprise, for me, complimentary alcoholic drink. Ended up only being 10 late in to LAS but for us this was early so no problem.

Had to wait, what seemed like an eternity, for the bags to come out some 20 minutes. When the carousel did start up the bags were all present and correct so off to the taxi rank and Aria we went.

A rather long TR for such a short flight!
#913481 by RLF
21 Nov 2015, 13:30
Thanks for the TR, just one query - were LAX really going to allow your bags on an earlier flight without you - I thought they only carried bags of passengers who were on board, or would these count as "Cargo"?
#913488 by Hamster
21 Nov 2015, 18:25
Domestic USA flights don't seem to be as strict on baggage following the owner! Often taken AA flights and our luggage is waiting at our destination as it flew on the earlier flight...
#913489 by hazban
21 Nov 2015, 18:32
Arrived in SFO courtesy of VX yesterday from LAS.
Comfortable flight on board catering acceptable if you like nuts or crisps, this was in First.
At LAS and earlier on a flight to SAN I had TSA pre on my boarding pass. This let me through a very quick security process, no removal of shoes, belts, coats, liquids or laptops ! Not sure how I qualified as you can apply to join for a fee of $85 (I think) , or is it because they already have checked me out on entry to the US?
#913504 by RobL
22 Nov 2015, 01:30
were LAX really going to allow your bags on an earlier flight without you

indeed they were, the bags were tagged onto the 480 at checkin and were going on that flight regardless of whether we made it
#913510 by Hamster
22 Nov 2015, 02:22
hazban wrote:At LAS and earlier on a flight to SAN I had TSA pre on my boarding pass. This let me through a very quick security process, no removal of shoes, belts, coats, liquids or laptops ! Not sure how I qualified as you can apply to join for a fee of $85 (I think) , or is it because they already have checked me out on entry to the US?

The airlines have an allowance of uses to give out for free, it's marketing from TSA trying to show people the benefit of paying for the service.
Virgin Atlantic