Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#913748 by buns
27 Nov 2015, 09:33
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
The Prolog

Mrs Buns and I had originally planned to visit Orlando in October (travelling via JFK as there was no G Availability on the direct flights from LGW) but due to family circumstances we had to reschedule and the only availability was via ATL. A quick call to VS ensured our flights were changed and as book M fares and upgrade with miles, only £100 per person change fee :-)

Before I get into the TR proper, a few thanks. Firstly to horburyflyer/b] for providing great advice on flying via ATL (something I had not done since I flew with BCAL in the early 80's) and to [b]Bretty for recommending E Bags :D

I have learnt some valuable lessons which I will enlighten fellow V Flyers at the end ;-)

The Trip

As is somewhat tradition now for Mrs Buns, she got hoe from work at 11pm the night before we travelled, so it was going to be a long day. I had arranged for the Tristar pickup for 6:15 and true to form, our driver was there a good 15 minutes before departure - how I had wished we had both been able to take the opportunity to leave just that little bit earlier :-(

The journey around the M25 was as expected and thankfully, we were able to avoid an accident that blocked all the lanes on the approach to the M4 Junction and we were outside Terminal 3 an hour later.

However, there were a queue of cars waiting to enter the DTCI and it is clear the "open door" policy does have its drawbacks at busy times >-( At one stage someone had to come down to the first entry point to advice a driver and this caused further delay!! Eventually we pulled up to DTCI and whilst pleasant, the check in agent had only done bag checks for 2 bags and not the 3 the Tristar driver had notified ahead and was not able to help with interlining.

Thinking all would now be plain sailing, we turned the corner to find a huge queue for security >-( Not to be daunted, we made our way as quickly as we could to the Clubhouse with the hope that Mrs B could get a treatment. We entered a very busy Clubhouse to find no treatments available before our departure (and it would appear there was no hairdressers working or a shoeshine man). With no seats available at the Brasserie, fortunately someone got up so we were able to grabs a couple of my favourite Eames chairs in the centre of the Lounge.

Some splendid service enabled us to overcome the disappointment ;-) and we had just under an hour before our flight was called. At this point i must apologise to fellow V Flyers for not checking in, but hope you all understand, my concern for Mrs b focused my attention.

We went at first call to Gate 22 and arrived at an empty Gate Room and directed to the A Gate. Welcomed on Board by the FSM and as soon as we got to our seats, welcomed with a glass (which turned out to be three by the time we departed!!!). I am a great exponent of the notion that you can judge how flight is going to be by the first interactions with the CC - and this was to prove the case.

We pushed back a little ahead of schedule and with only 160 pax on board, it was a fairly empty economy cabin with PE about 75% full and Upper almost completely full.

As soon as we were airborne, the Crew swung into action and it was immediately apparent that we had an FSM who led from the front. Not only did he come and welcome us both back but ensured that we want for nothing - having Au status recognised is one sure way to retain custom and this is the case for Mrs b and I. In fact the crew were some of the best I have encountered and the rapport that built up between us came very close to a fab V Flyer Escapade to SFO a fair few number of years back now.

Please do not get me wrong here, there was nobody in the UC Cabin who was overlooked throughout the flight and our being seated right next to the Bar did not cause us any issues. Indeed the shortcomings of the A330 were the subject of an interesting conversation as was the future of CC - on the latter, the FSM was at pains to point out that service in the UC Cabin would not be diminished.

I will not detail the menu, as AlphaEcho who flew the day before did a sterling job. I had the soup to start, beef and the bread and butter pudding - all very good.

I watched the minions movie before catching up on some much needed sleep after a short sleep we had had the night before. Afternoon Tea was the usual fare and the shortcomings of the A330 become all too clear when each passengers requirements have to be walked the length of the cabin - I do feel sorry for the CC who no doubt walk miles on a 330 flight and have no crew rest to boot.

All too quickly it seemed we were arriving at ATL and being in 8 and 9 A, after bidding farewell to the excellent crew, we were first off the aircraft and entered an empty Immigration Hall!! As a frequent visitor to Orlando, this was like a dream come true and as an added bonus, every single member of staff was so friendly - no doubt Southern Hospitality ;-)

We were through Immigration and Customs in just 20 minutes and with ATL being the Delta Hub as we exited International Arrivals, there was a Delta Desk where we could check in our bags for our onward flight to Orlando - so no real need to interline bags.

As were on separate PNRs I had taken the precaution of booking the 4:55 departure, which turned out to be a slight error on my part as the splendid train got us to the A Terminal by 3 pm, so we were able to enjoy the Delta Sky Lounge for an hour before we boarded our flight.

So, what lessons have I learnt:

1. Using ATL is an excellent alternative for getting to Orlando - it means getting there in one day.
2. As the ATL flight leaves at 9:30, make sure I get to Heathrow before 7am
3. Invest the the new Apple "Crystal Ball" App that tells you before you book if you are to have an excellent crew 8-)

Thanks for reading

buns
#913749 by hiljil
27 Nov 2015, 09:41
Thank you for an enjoyable and informative TR. Glad you enjoyed the flight and hope both your time in Orlando and the return trip were good.
#913751 by Vegascrazy
27 Nov 2015, 10:26
Thanks Andy for the wonderful TR! I'm really looking forward to taking the VS103 and connecting in ATL to New Orleans in a few weeks. Everyone without exception seems to rave about ATL, especially the friendliness of staff and fast/organised immigration. Having connected through DFW a lot of late it'll be interesting to see how ATL compares :)
#913778 by Bretty
27 Nov 2015, 23:56
Thanks for the TR Buns, it certainly sounds like it was a good flight with a great crew. Sorry to read that the CH treatments were not available and DTCI sounded like a farce but you're not the first to say I s not the same since they opened it up without pre-booking.

Hope the rest of the trip was wonderful and look forward to hearing about the return.
#913784 by Maximus
28 Nov 2015, 08:07
Thanks for the great TR Buns.

Tip Number 3 made me laugh. This is something my patients think I have, along with my Magic Wand ;-)
#913788 by buns
28 Nov 2015, 11:06
Bretty wrote:Thanks for the TR Buns, it certainly sounds like it was a good flight with a great crew. Sorry to read that the CH treatments were not available and DTCI sounded like a farce but you're not the first to say I s not the same since they opened it up without pre-booking.

Hope the rest of the trip was wonderful and look forward to hearing about the return.

Thanks for the comments Bretty, I have to say those E Bags were impressive, so much so that Mrs Buns, who initailly scoffed thier use, has now invested in some for herself :-D

buns
#914144 by pjh
07 Dec 2015, 17:39
As the others have said, thanks for the TR. Shame about the DTCI issue - I can't remember whether it was the last or last but one trip but one car (a black Range Rover) decided they couldn't make the turn to go up the up ramp so went up the down ramp...and then back down the down ramp...and up the up ramp...

Vegascrazy wrote:Thanks Andy for the wonderful TR! I'm really looking forward to taking the VS103 and connecting in ATL to New Orleans in a few weeks. Everyone without exception seems to rave about ATL, especially the friendliness of staff and fast/organised immigration. Having connected through DFW a lot of late it'll be interesting to see how ATL compares :)

Looking forward to hearing about that as New Orleans is on our to do list.
Virgin Atlantic